[net.med] Resetting your biological clock

seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) (09/13/85)

	I remember reading in the NY Times that scientists had
shown that light at different times of the day changes your
biological clock, your perception of how late in the day it it.
I have this minor problem. I can't get up in the morning. It's
not that I'm still tired, really. I can go to sleep at 10 or 11
or midnight and I still have the same difficulty waking up at
7 in the morning. Which leads me to believe that it isn't a
physical need of sleep. If I go to sleep at
midnight I don't seem to be any more tired the next day than if
I had gone to sleep at 10 or 11. Obviously, to get the most out
of my days, I'd like to go to sleep at midnight and wake up at
7. But it's so tough!
	Now the study in the Times. The study said that early
morning sunlight tends to set your clock forward. You think it
is later than it really is. You wake up earlier and don't have
any trouble falling asleep. And if you are exposed to more late
afternoon sun, it sets your clock back. You think it is earlier
than it really is. You have trouble falling asleep at night and
trouble waking up in the morning.
	I don't have trouble falling asleep, but I don't usually
go to sleep when I feel tired. I go to sleep earlier than that.
But I sure don't wake up early!
	But it seems like a catch-22. To set my clock forward,
I have to get more early morning sunlight. But I can't wake up
that early because I'm not getting enough early morning sunlight!
Does anyone out there have any suggestions for resetting my clock?
Any suggestions for getting me out of bed in the morning short
of having my husband throw water on me?

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!seb

...just running up that hill...

entropy@fluke.UUCP (Terrence J. Mason) (09/16/85)

In article <1151@mtgzz.UUCP> seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) writes:

>	I remember reading in the NY Times that scientists had
>shown that light at different times of the day changes your
>biological clock, your perception of how late in the day it it.
>Does anyone out there have any suggestions for resetting my clock?
>Any suggestions for getting me out of bed in the morning short
>of having my husband throw water on me?
>
>Sharon Badian
>ihnp4!mtgzz!seb

I used to have this problem, which in my case I attributed to my smoking
habit;  when I quit that I found that I arose more easily in the mornings.
However, while I smoked, I found that I could trick my body into thinking it
was summer time (daylight savings time and early sunrise) by turning on a lamp
(with an electric timer) about an hour before my scheduled time to get up.
You might give this a try.

terry mason = entropy@fluke