[net.med] The Question of References

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (09/20/85)

In article <2209@ukma.UUCP> wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:

>Hey, Byron, I'm still waiting for the first reference supporting those
>statements of "fact" you throw around so freely.

I have stated twice, Walt, that my facts were taken from the articles
in Newsweek you claim to have read and the CBS (and CNN) news reports
you claim to have seen.  I submit that either by deliberation or by
simple inability to grasp ideas you have misrepresented the medical
findings in those very same sources to the network and perhaps to
yourself.  Whatever the reason, I find this behavior in a health pro-
fessional very frightening.

If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't entrust myself to an
AMA-type doctor who was incapable of correctly drawing simple
conclusions either.  (This has nothing to do with the correctness
of the conclusions, but the correctness of the process of drawing
conclusions.)  If I see that a person cannot reliably draw facts
from material I am familiar with, what am I to think about the facts
drawn from material I am not familiar with?
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch