[net.med] Amalgam

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (09/10/85)

The CBS Evening News, September 9, 1985, had a special report about
the present "controversy" about the dangers of silver amalgam fillings
in teeth.  This is only a controversy for those who have not done
their homework.  In this regard it is much like the "sugar", "stress",
"Electromagnetic Smog", "Holistic Medicine", etc., controversies.

The average person with 6 amalgam fillings has more mercury vapor in
their mouth than is legal exposure in factories.  When they chew, the
concentration increases several times more.  I have had dozens of
patients who had been chronically ill for many years, been to many
different doctors and clinics to no avail, who have suddenly got well
upon replacement of their amalgam fillings with modern ceramic
material.

The American Dental Association has stubbornly insisted that there
could not possibly be any danger from these fillings until a good and
close friend of mine ( a lawyer here in Lexington) threatened to sue
them if they continued making those kind of statements unless they
could produce studies that demonstrated the safety of amalgams.  Their
last gasp statement, just before the above threat was made, was made
as an official statement in their national journal.  It stated that
without question amalgams were safe and that any dentist that
suggested otherwise should be severely censured.  In the same article
the point was made that amalgam material was so toxic that there was
no safe way to store it in the dental office.  There was no safe way
to handle it and no safe way to dispose of it.  IN OTHER WORDS, THE
ONLY SAFE PLACE FOR AMALGAM IS IN THE PATIENT'S MOUTH!

After my lawyer friend's letter to the ADA the official recommendation
announced this spring, by the president of the ADA,  was that amalgams
are no longer the filling material of choice.  For the past few years
there have been stronger, and much safer, materials available.  It
takes some extra training, and it takes a little longer to put them in
so the dentist income goes down a little.

The only amalgam work done from this day forth should be taking
amalgam out of the mouth, not putting it in.  Anyone wishing more
information should contact the American Holistic Dental Association
whose address could be obtained from the American Holistic Medical
Association in Annandale, Virginia--just outside Washington, DC.

cbosgd!ukma!wws(Walt Stoll)
--
Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder, & Medical Director

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron Howes) (09/11/85)

Again, I question Walt Stoll's ability to make inference from what
he reads or sees.  I saw the special report, and I got something
somewhat different...

In article <2163@ukma.UUCP> wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:
>The CBS Evening News, September 9, 1985, had a special report about
>the present "controversy" about the dangers of silver amalgam fillings
>in teeth.  This is only a controversy for those who have not done
>their homework.  In this regard it is much like the "sugar", "stress",
>"Electromagnetic Smog", "Holistic Medicine", etc., controversies.

Note that Walt is trying to associate unsubstiantated claims about
other theoretically hazardous events or phenomena with this partially
substaintiated claim.  Note that this in no way substantiates any previous
statements he has made, which still must be weighed according to their
own merits.

>The average person with 6 amalgam fillings has more mercury vapor in
>their mouth than is legal exposure in factories.  When they chew, the
>concentration increases several times more.  I have had dozens of
>patients who had been chronically ill for many years, been to many
>different doctors and clinics to no avail, who have suddenly got well
>upon replacement of their amalgam fillings with modern ceramic
>material.

The levels of mercury in the mouth are not determined, according to
the same CBS Report.  Walt is trying to insert his own data implicitly
attributing it to CBS.  This is known as a LIE!  What are your sources,
Walt?

>The American Dental Association has stubbornly insisted that there
>could not possibly be any danger from these fillings until a good and
>close friend of mine ( a lawyer here in Lexington) threatened to sue
>them if they continued making those kind of statements unless they
>could produce studies that demonstrated the safety of amalgams.  Their
>last gasp statement, just before the above threat was made, was made
>as an official statement in their national journal.  It stated that
>without question amalgams were safe and that any dentist that
>suggested otherwise should be severely censured.  In the same article
>the point was made that amalgam material was so toxic that there was
>no safe way to store it in the dental office.  There was no safe way
>to handle it and no safe way to dispose of it.  IN OTHER WORDS, THE
>ONLY SAFE PLACE FOR AMALGAM IS IN THE PATIENT'S MOUTH!

Sorry, Walt.  It just ain't so.  Since you don't cite a specific date
or journal, I cannot check your references.  The ADA is conducting
studies aimed at determining the level of mercury induced into the body
by Amalgum fillings.  Thus far, the findings are not enough to worry
about unless you have a particular sensitivity to heavy metal
poisoning.  Certainly the effects of mercury in amalgum fillings are
minimal as compared to the atmospheric content of lead due to tetraethyl
in gasoline.  Walt doesn't mention that, of course, because the AMA is
behind removing lead from gasoline.

Amalgum material is no more toxic than other heavy metal compounds.  We're
not talking about nuclear waste, here, we're talking about mercury.
I have already had all my fillings replaced, years ago. They did something
with the amalgum.  At the time nobody worried about what to do with it.
Are we polluting the environment with amalgum fillings?  Gimme a break.

>After my lawyer friend's letter to the ADA the official recommendation
>announced this spring, by the president of the ADA,  was that amalgams
>are no longer the filling material of choice.  For the past few years
>there have been stronger, and much safer, materials available.  It
>takes some extra training, and it takes a little longer to put them in
>so the dentist income goes down a little.

Garbage.  The newer filling compounds are just as easy to work with as
amalgum.  (This from a dental student I know.)  If dentists really wanted
to make the maximum $$ off of you, theyd declare it necessary to recap
all your teeth with enamel caps.  Talk about profit margin...
Fillings, amalgum or no, are simply not where its at in terms of making
money.

>The only amalgam work done from this day forth should be taking
>amalgam out of the mouth, not putting it in.

I agree.  Tell your regular dentist (the one who knows your mouth best.)
Most will oblige.  If not, find another dentist.  Don't panic, however,
unless you are already suffering symptoms of heavy metal poisoning.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (09/13/85)

> I agree.  Tell your regular dentist (the one who knows your mouth best.)
> Most will oblige.  If not, find another dentist.  Don't panic, however,
> unless you are already suffering symptoms of heavy metal poisoning.
> --

	What are the symptoms ? I mean, how much of my husband's Judas
Priest collection can I safely withstand before total brain rot sets in ?
Is there some way to tell ?

:-):-):-)

--
jcpatilla

"At night, the ice weasels come."

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (09/16/85)

There are now several lay, and professional, organizations who are
collecting (and making available) educational information about the
hazards of amalgams.  It no longer is sufficient to consider "out of
sight, out of mind" as one skeptic commented on the net in response to
my origional article: "my dentist took out my amalgams and there was
no fuss made about their disposal" (as if that was proof that disposal
was done adequately).

Here are several places you can get information about amalgams:

"The Hazards of Silver/Mercury Dental Fillings", by Ziff, Ziff & Vimy,
1985.  Available from:  Bio-Probe, Inc., 4401 Real Ct., Orlando,
Florida  32808, for $1.25

"Silver (mercury) Fillings and the Immune System", Edited by Betsy
Russel-Manning.  230 pages available from Greensward Press, 1600
Larkin #104/P.O. Box 99472, San Francisco, California  94109, for
about $20. 1985

"Mercury, A Poison in your Mouth", (edited by, and available from,
same as above) 1985 (about $2)

"How Silver-Mercury Fillings Effects Your Energy System", also by
Betsy Russel-Manning.  Available from the Cancer Control Society, 2043
Berendo St., Los Angeles, CA  90027, for about $5.  1984

You can also get information directly from the American Holistic
Dental Association Or the American Holistic Medical Association in
Annandale, Virginia.

Good Luck!  I would appreciate any feedback.
--

cbosgd!ukma!wws(Walt Stoll)                       YOU

Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder & Medical Director                     ARE   MORE
Holistic Medical Centre
1412 North Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky  40505                  THAN  YOU  THINK
(606) 233-4273

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (09/18/85)

> I agree.  Tell your regular dentist (the one who knows your mouth best.)
> Most will oblige.  If not, find another dentist.  Don't panic, however,
> unless you are already suffering symptoms of heavy metal poisoning.
>
>						Byron C. Howes
>				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

   OK, I'll bite (ouch!), just what are the symptoms of heavy metal poisoning?
And how do you tell if you're suffering from it?

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's a sort of threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (09/20/85)

>> ................................................  Don't panic, however,
>> unless you are already suffering symptoms of heavy metal poisoning.
>> --
>
>	What are the symptoms ? I mean, how much of my husband's Judas
>Priest collection can I safely withstand before total brain rot sets in ?
>Is there some way to tell ?

Sorry Jody, if the records have been in the house for more than 12 hours,
it is already too late. For further instructions play records backwards.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.

knight@nmtvax.UUCP (09/24/85)

In article <> kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) writes:
>   OK, I'll bite (ouch!), just what are the symptoms of heavy metal poisoning?
>And how do you tell if you're suffering from it?

Deafness and brain damage.  You can't tell you're suffering from it
because of the BD :-).

Bob

carter@gatech.CSNET (Carter Bullard) (10/01/85)

In article <777@nmtvax.UUCP> knight@nmtvax.UUCP (Bob Knight) writes:
>In article <> kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) writes:
>>   OK, I'll bite (ouch!), just what are the symptoms of heavy metal poisoning?
>>And how do you tell if you're suffering from it?
>
>Deafness and brain damage.  You can't tell you're suffering from it
>because of the BD :-).

   Actually that comes very late in the problem:

   The first thing  you see in say mercury poisoning is kidney damage.

   For lead poisoning, liver damage is the first clinical sign, with
	enlargement and tenderness.

   The deafness, which is not that common, is based on cranial neuropathy,
   which is seen in the late stages.  Frank psychosis is a good behavioral
   symptom.  Remember the mad hatters personality in Alice: Looking Good in
   the Glass, is based on mercury poisoning.