[net.med] Being sensible about AIDS

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (10/11/85)

<AIDS>  Bite this, line eater!

Note:  This is STella Calvert, a guest on this account.

In article <4604@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I was talking to a girl about this and she was horrified at the idea
>of letting kids with AIDS attend school. She says whenever she got
>in a fight she would use anything she could, which included biting
>the opponent. That sounds like a very good way to pass AIDS.

So, don't bite people!  Don't associate with biters.  But don't use this as a
reason to bar non-biters from school.  In my whole school career, I found it
necessary to bite one person -- a teacher who hit first.

If a person at school bites, send the idiot home!  Not because he/she
has/doesn't have AIDS. but because biting is not a useful educational
activity.

				STella Calvert
				(guest on ...!decvax!frog!wjr)

		Every man and every woman is a star.

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (10/16/85)

Just to stick my two cents worth into this discussion, I
feel that there is much more danger to the child with AIDS
in going to school than there is to the other kids.  With
a child having AIDS attending school, there is a much
greater risk of the child catching what would normally
be a simple childhood disease and not being able to
fight it off.  Take chicken pox as an example.  There once
was a tribe of indians living in the area of northern Iowa
that was wiped out after coming in contact with chicken pox.
The same thing happened in the area of Easter Island some
200 years ago.  So, since chicken pox can kill those
without an immunity, the child with AIDS will have the
same problem.  I feel that putting the child into this
environment would be a greater risk to the child than
that supposed risk to those around the child.  Shoving
a child into the school based on principles is not helping
the child or solving the problem.  It is mearly satisfying
the egos of some folks who have no real compassion for
the life of the child.
T. C. Wheeler