[net.med] Nose Jobs -- info wanted

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (10/10/85)

Has anybody had any first or second-hand experience with a nose-reduction
operation.  My wife is very seriously considering one, and would like to hear
from others who have had one or know someone who has.  Some specific
questions are:

1.  How much did it cost?  She was quoted at $2800 by two doctors, but all
    the consumer info I have read states that it should cost about $1500.

2.  What are the risks?  Is it possible that it won't come out as expected?
    Any health risks or long periods of pain or discomfort?

3.  Might it help clear her nasal passages for easier breathing at night?

4.  What is the better method -- breaking or shaving the bone/cartilage?

5.  When was the operation?  This should throw the above answers into a
    time perspective.

                                -etan

paveleck@ihlpl.UUCP (Bob Paveleck) (10/11/85)

> Has anybody had any first or second-hand experience with a nose-reduction
> operation.  My wife is very seriously considering one, and would like to hear
> from others who have had one or know someone who has.  Some specific
> questions are:
>
> 1.  How much did it cost?  She was quoted at $2800 by two doctors, but all
>     the consumer info I have read states that it should cost about $1500.
>
> 2.  What are the risks?  Is it possible that it won't come out as expected?
>     Any health risks or long periods of pain or discomfort?
>
> 3.  Might it help clear her nasal passages for easier breathing at night?
>
> 4.  What is the better method -- breaking or shaving the bone/cartilage?
>
> 5.  When was the operation?  This should throw the above answers into a
>     time perspective.
>
>                                 -etan

I had such an operation just over 3 years ago.  In my case, the operation
was done to correct a deviated septum and to repair a badly-broken nose
(which I got flak about for over 9 years).  The doctor who performed it
was recommended by my family doctor and was a very competent maxillofacial
surgeon and otolaryngologist.  The surgery went very well and I had very
little discomfort or trouble with it, so I'm all for people getting the
operation.

COST: My doctor charged $1500 for the whole thing (which amounted to
3 1/2 days in the hospital), which, at the time, was a reasonable
price (the costs back then supposedly ranged from $1200-$1800).  My
Blue Cross insurance picked up all but $35 of the charges, but that's
because the broken nose was caused by TRAUMA.  If you just want to
get your nosed fixed for the heck of it, the insurance company
considers it "cosmetic surgery" and won't pay for it.

RISKS: I don't think there were that many risks to be taken with the
surgery.  There's always the risk of having an incompetent
anesthesiologist, surgical team, etc., but neither my doctor nor I
were really concerned about it.

DISCOMFORT: If you have a deviated septum, they plug your nostrils
with cotton for a couple of days after the surgery (which isn't the
most pleasant thing in the world, but not unbearable).  Repairing a
broken nose requires (in my case, anyway) the surgeon's re-breaking
and setting the bone.  You'll have some really wicked-looking black
eyes (like somebody beat the hell out of you, which is really what
the doctor probably did while I was asleep), but aside from a slight
headache, I had very little pain.  I didn't really need the Tylenol-
codeine pain relievers they gave me in the hospital; I felt pretty
good even when I first woke up after the surgery.

BREATHING: Repairing the deviated septum helped my breathing noticeably,
since my septum was badly out-of-line in the first place.

SURGICAL METHODS:  I'm not really sure how the doctor decided to
fix my nose; I had a pronounced hump in the bridge, so he may have
shaved the bone.  I was under the impression that the doctor broke
the bone during surgery, as my nose was also straightened and narrowed
somewhat when he finished.

TIME OF OPERATION: I had the operation in July, 1982.

I hope this helps you make your decision more easily.  Your doctor
should explain to you exactly what he/she intends to do during the
surgery; they can't make you look like a movie star or perform miracles.
My doctor explained things very clearly and realistically to me and the
objectives he was shooting for, I think, were met.

Bob Paveleck
ihlpl!paveleck

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/17/85)

In article <634@tellab1.UUCP> etan@tellab3.UUCP (Nate Stelton) writes:
>Has anybody had any first or second-hand experience with a nose-reduction
>operation.  My wife is very seriously considering one, and would like to hear
>2.  What are the risks?  Is it possible that it won't come out as expected?
>    Any health risks or long periods of pain or discomfort?
>3.  Might it help clear her nasal passages for easier breathing at night?

I could comment on these two questions only.  Mine was done to correct very
narrowed passages caused by a deviated septum (which also makes for a crooked
appearance).  My provincial health insurance paid since it was a medical
purpose.  Risks include the ususal ones connected with hospital surgery, i.e.
you are under anasthetic (sp), eating hospital food etc. :-) and could have
a reaction or complications.  I vomited a lot in the recovery room which
caused exceptional discoloration around the eyes but there was not *real pain*
involved.  It is icky to have your nose packed for a few days but no worse
than a bad cold.  Subsequently swelling goes down more slowly and some
startlingly large clots of blood slip into your throat and have to be
coughed up, but I was back at work within a couple of days, though taking
it easy and difficult to look *at*.
It should certainly improve your breathing even if your nose functioned
normally before since a nice straight nose on the outside should be ditto
on the inside.  I have a very marked improvement; fewer colds and those
I do get are much much shorter in duration.