[net.med] deviated septum surgery--will it really relieve sinus headaches??

bea@alice.UucP (Bea Chambers) (10/11/85)

My husband has a deviated septum and has had sinus headaches for years. Usually,
he would get them for a day or two and they would go away. Now, for the
first time, his headaches are constant. His doctor has strongly suggested
a septoplasty--an operative procedure to correct the deviated septum and to
remove a large spur of bone and cartilage which is blocking the area of the left
maxillary sinus osteum and impacting into the left inferior turbinate.
( Lest you think I am a doctor with all those long words, I am not. I copied
this from the doctor's notes). Both of us go into a small panic at
the thought of any surgery. Has anyone out there had a deviated septum
corrected by surgery and has the surgery helped? I would hate to see him
go through surgery and still have headaches.
Any information would be helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

brown@utflis.UUCP (Susan Brown) (10/17/85)

In article <4417@alice.UUCP> bea@alice.UucP (Bea Chambers) writes:
>My husband has a deviated septum and has had sinus headaches for years. Usually,
>he would get them for a day or two and they would go away. Now, for the
>first time, his headaches are constant. His doctor has strongly suggested
>a septoplasty--an operative procedure to correct the deviated septum and to
>remove a large spur of bone and cartilage which is blocking the area of the left
>maxillary sinus osteum and impacting into the left inferior turbinate.
>( Lest you think I am a doctor with all those long words, I am not. I copied
>this from the doctor's notes). Both of us go into a small panic at
>the thought of any surgery. Has anyone out there had a deviated septum
>corrected by surgery and has the surgery helped? I would hate to see him
>go through surgery and still have headaches.

I had a similar operation just to make breathing easier and it helped
my general sinus condition very markedly.  I did not have such frequent
headaches, but I did have frequent very long colds and infections which
have disappeared completely (if I get a cold now it is a 3-day affair),
and no sinus infections at all.  It has been about l8 months now.  I still
have an occaisional sinus headache when the weather is really conducive to
it for several days.  None of this proves anything of course.  I commented
on the operation in response to another article on this net today but will
respond again if you wish.  It was an easy operation, although I feel as
you do that hospitals are risky places to be!
Susan

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (10/20/85)

Dear Bea,

99.999% of all "sinus headaches" are caused by the habit of allowing
ones teeth to touch (rest together) while relaxed.  The teeth should
NEVER touch except when one is biting something.  The rest of the time
they should be about 1/4 inch apart.

If your husband has the above habit his headaches will probably not be
relieved by the surgery.  The best way to find out if he has the habit
is for him to put it out of his mind and then, the second he thinks
about it, to notice if his teeth ARE touching.

The American Holistic Dental Association could refer him to someone in
your area up to date in the management of this condition.  Most
Holistic Physicians would be able to take care of about 90% of these.

If he isn't resting his teeth as above, and the Doctor's report you
read is correct, the surgery very likely will be successful.
--

cbosgd!ukma!wws(Walt Stoll)                       YOU

Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder & Medical Director                     ARE   MORE
Holistic Medical Centre
1412 North Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky  40505                  THAN  YOU  THINK
(606) 233-4273