[net.med] "Gold Key" Weight loss plan/retraining metabolism

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (10/21/85)

In article <528@cadre.ARPA> geb@cadre.ARPA (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>Everyone's metabolism is "trained" to burn fat.  If the caloric intake in the
>diet is less than the energy expenditure, fat is always burned.
>If the intake is in excess it is laid down.  One's metabolic
>rate can be raised, for example by taking exogenous thyroid
>hormone, but this can be quite dangerous.  No crackpot diet
>is ever going to repeal the law of conservation of energy.
>It is probably some variation on the ketotic diet, I would guess.

A few years ago, there was an article in _Science_ (and, later, in
_Science_83_, or thereabouts) on "setpoint theory".  The basic idea
is this: if you take a group of chronically overweight individuals and diet
them down to a "normal" weight, they will very likely gain that weight
back, even though their dietary and exercise habits are kept at the same
level as the control group -- people without a weight problem.  They will
gain weight until they reach the point where they stabilize; they will not
gain more.  This is their "setpoint."

According to this dismal set of studies, each of us has a setpoint that
determines the percentage of body fat that our body "wants."  The body
will adjust its metabolism to get and keep weight at that setpoint.  Thus,
the "calories in/calories out" formula is rendered less useful (even though
it remains true, strictly speaking).  Setpoint theory is consistent with a
number of observations which we all have made:  even when we don't watch what
we eat, we don't keep gaining weight, but level off at some (fat) point; some
people really do eat more than us, without gaining any weight.

About ninety-five percent of all diets are failures, where a "failure" means
that the person can't keep the weight off for a year.  This is because diets
do nothing to alter the setpoint.

As I recall, there are only three things that do lower the setpoint: cigarette
smoking, amphetamines, and exercise.  The dangers of the first two methods
appear to be greater than the dangers of being overweight.  Exercise works,
but more is required than the 3 times/week aerobic minimum.  Six vigorous
exercise periods per week, as I recall, was the recommended dose.  The
setpoint will drop, but it will return to its former level or higher if
the regimen is discontinued.

Todd Moody                 |  {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody
Philosophy Department      |
St. Joseph's U.            |         "I couldn't fail to
Philadelphia, PA   19131   |          disagree with you less."