[net.med] Allergies and Cancer

harrington@neptun.DEC (10/21/85)

	I'm just an ignorant layman, but I've been thinking about something
lately, and I wondered if anyone on the net had any ideas about this.

	One of the theories about cancer I've heard is that everybody has can-
car; however, for most people it's not a problem because their immune-system
takes care of it while the cancers are still just isolated, individual cells.
When cancer DOES develop, it's because (so says this theory) something has hap-
pened to impair or weaken the immune-system.

	Now, another theory I've heard is that an allergy like hay fever results
from an overly-sensitive immune-system, one that reacts TOO WELL to "invaders"
like pollen. Sounds like an immune-system that's stronger than it has to be.

	So, what I'm wondering is, have any studies been done comparing the in-
cidence of cancer in individuals with and without allergy problems? Has any sort
of correlation, either positive or negative, been shown between cancer and al-
lergies?

	Even to me who's asking the question, this premise sounds a bit bizarre,
but still it sounds like something that SOMEONE might have explored, or might
want to.

	Does anyone know?

								----- Shawn H.

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (10/26/85)

In article <949@decwrl.UUCP>, harrington@neptun.DEC writes:

> 	One of the theories about cancer I've heard is that everybody has can-
> car; however, for most people it's not a problem because their immune-system
> takes care of it while the cancers are still just isolated, individual cells.
> When cancer DOES develop, it's because (so says this theory) something has hap-
> pened to impair or weaken the immune-system.
>
> 	Now, another theory I've heard is that an allergy like hay fever results
> from an overly-sensitive immune-system, one that reacts TOO WELL to "invaders"
> like pollen. Sounds like an immune-system that's stronger than it has to be.

No more so than when you "overreact" to someone because you are tired
as compared to how you would have reacted to the same when completely
> but still it sounds like something that SOMEONE might have explored, or might
> want to.

I, too would be interested in such a study.  My guess is that it is
like comparing apples and oranges.  They are both fruits but don't
really fit into the same basket in the same way.

--

cbosgd!ukma!wws(Walt Stoll)                       YOU

Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder & Medical Director                     ARE   MORE
Holistic Medical Centre
1412 North Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky  40505                  THAN  YOU  THINK
(606) 233-4273