[net.med] Vitamin C megadose not harmful?

bi50xrs@sdcc3.UUCP (rich) (10/29/85)

In article <1978@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>	A study at Syracuse University among 40 healthy young men of the
>effects of eggs and Vitamin C showed that ingesting 3 eggs with 2000 mg of
>Vitamin C daily significantly raised serum cholesterol, epecially harmful LDL,
>ingesting Vitamin C alone or eggs alone produced no significant changes.

i'm not related to medicine at all.
just that i remember hearing that Vitamin C
does not build up in the system.  it just fills up the ascorbic
acid pool in the body and then drains the rest.  so i don't see
how the Syracuse study could be valid.

in fact,if i may, it seems to me that if a person takes a lot of
some vitamin in a pill, all he/she is doing is NOT making his
digestive system draw out the nutrients from the food that is
eaten.  if i were to swallow 3000 mg pill of vitamin C and then drink
2 gallons of orange juice my body would absorb the vitamin C in
the pill but not the juice.  i think that goes for most other
vitamins/minerals.  that is why doctors suggest taking those types
of pills after dinner rather than before breakfast.

phil <i'm no doctor of medicine and don't profess to be>
this is just an educated guess.