[net.med] Meningitis Vaccine

kqb@piggy.UUCP (Kevin Q. Brown) (09/14/85)

Starting this October I will be taking a four-month round-the-world trip
that includes New Delhi, India and the Kathmandu Valley in Nepal.
The Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta ((404) 329-3311) have assured me
that in these areas travellers are at risk for bacterial meningitis
(sero group A).  The vaccine (Menomune) is produced by Squibb ((609)683-0400,
(800) VACCINE outside NJ).  Only one shot, taken 10-14 days before entering
the endemic region, is needed, and the vaccination lasts a year, but it comes
only in lots of ten.  I have been unable to find anyone who stocks this
vaccine or is willing to order a lot of ten (to sell one).  Any suggestions?
I'm really surprised to have so much trouble with this because a lot of
people travel to New Delhi.  (Apparently, most people do not get vaccinated
for meningitis.  Are they unnecessarily risking their health or am I
trying to get unnecessarily vaccinated?)  Thanks.
                                   - Kevin Q. Brown

crg@vax135.UUCP (Catherine Grimes) (10/26/85)

Is anyone familiar with a vaccine for meningitis(spelling ?) vaccine?
My son attends a daycare center and our pediatrician has recommended that
be vaccinated.  I'm concerned because I know that it is relatively new.
Has anyone had their child vaccinated yet?  Any and all information will
be welcomed!

Please respond via e-mail.

Catherine Grimes
...vax135!daisy!crg

mark@tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (10/27/85)

In article <1216@vax135.UUCP> crg@vax135.UUCP (Catherine Grimes) writes:
>Is anyone familiar with a vaccine for meningitis(spelling ?) vaccine?
>My son attends a daycare center and our pediatrician has recommended that
>be vaccinated.  I'm concerned because I know that it is relatively new.
>Has anyone had their child vaccinated yet?  Any and all information will
>be welcomed!

The nurse-practitioner at my HMO tells me that this new vaccine is
based on a synthetic reproduction of a protein in the cell wall of the
meningitis bacteria.  In my opinion this is good.  For instance,
the pertussis (The P in DPT) vaccine is a "whole cell" vaccine made
form ground up pertussis cells and so has side-effects problems
because its full of all sorts of unnecessary junk.  I haven't had
my child vaccinated yet because they were all out when I was last in,
but I'm going to (and I'm someone who insists on DT instead of DPT shots
for my kids).
	-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark

jak@mtgzz.UUCP (j.a.kushner) (10/28/85)

Our two-year olds just had it at their last doctor's visit.  It wasn't planned
but the doctor discussed it with my wife, and she decided to let them give the
kids the shots.  I believe that it is called HIB, which I would imagine stands
for Hemophilus Influenza type B.  This happens to be a more common cause of
meningitis in very young children than the usual causative agent, Neisseria
meningititus.
I haven't really done much research into this, but I know that it is a new
vaccine that a lot of pediatricians are pushing.
Ask your pediatrician for more info.

Jeff Kushner

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (10/29/85)

> In article <1216@vax135.UUCP> crg@vax135.UUCP (Catherine Grimes) writes:
> >Is anyone familiar with a vaccine for meningitis(spelling ?) vaccine?
> >My son attends a daycare center and our pediatrician has recommended that
> >be vaccinated.  I'm concerned because I know that it is relatively new.

	The new vaccine is not for the meningococcus.  It is rather for the
bacteria Hemophilus influenza, which despite its name, has nothing to do with
influenza, but is instead the #1 cause of childhood meningitis.  It is a
polysaccharide vaccine, which may mean nothing to a lot of you, but which is
the safest type of vaccine possible.
	It's only drawback is that it is no good for children under 12-18
months, who really need it most.  However, it is highly protective in the
2-7 yr range.  It just became available, but has undergone significant testing.
I would recommend it to all parents.

	(Just some meaningless bacteriology.  The so-called meningococcus is
really called Neiseria meningititis. It is a close cousin (step-brother?) of
Neiseria gonorrheae, alias "the clap".  N.meningititis is actually found in
most people's throats and causes Respiratory infections in children far more
often than meningitis.  Incidentally N.gonorheae can cause meningitis too.)
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

cb@hlwpc.UUCP (Carl Blesch) (10/29/85)

> I haven't really done much research into this, but I know that it is a new
> vaccine that a lot of pediatricians are pushing.
> Ask your pediatrician for more info.

I believe there's a minimum age requirement, like 18 months or two years.
Ask about this too.

I'm quite interested in this vaccine, as I knew a couple whose child came
down with this disease.  In fact, my wife and I  were at a party one
evening with this couple and their kid, and I held their kid on my lap
along with my son.  Two days later, my wife gets a phone call,
and she asks me, "did Alex (our son) have any contact with Elliot
(their son) Friday night?" to which I answered, "yes, I was holding them
both on my lap."  At which point my wife almost went crazy,
because the phone call was from our friends telling me that Elliot had
just been hospitalized with Haemophilis Menningitis B!
So, folks, it's not a rare unheard-of disease to us!
Luckily, our son never caught it.

Carl Blesch