[net.med] Holistic vs. Conventional

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (10/10/85)

> My main criticism of mainstream physicians is that they
> give most of their attention to making sick people better,
> and little or no attention to improving the health of
> well people.

While I certainly agree that this is so, I don't think you can really
fault the physicians.  It is not they who research medical matters;
they can only apply whatever information the researchers provide.

And I can't even fault the researchers, inasmuch as there are still
a number of "sicknesses" that I'd rather see cures/prevention for
(AIDS, MS, and cancer to name just a few), rather than have them
spending their time and money on researching "better wellness".

Perhaps after all of the "dread diseases" have been wiped out the
way that smallpox has, conventional medicine can turn its attention
to "well people".  I'm not sure what they'd be trying to do, though.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {calcom1,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (10/14/85)

In article <786@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>Perhaps after all of the "dread diseases" have been wiped out the
>way that smallpox has, conventional medicine can turn its attention
>to "well people".  I'm not sure what they'd be trying to do, though.

How about starting with curing
	migraine headache tendencies,
	unexplained fatigue,
	oversensitivity to climatic changes or temperature extremes,
	hayfever,
	poor hand-eye coordination or unsteady hands,
	need for excessive sleep (over 5 hours per 24),
	....?

Frank Silbermann

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (10/20/85)

> How about starting with curing
> 	migraine headache tendencies,
> 	unexplained fatigue,
> 	oversensitivity to climatic changes or temperature extremes,
> 	hayfever,
> 	poor hand-eye coordination or unsteady hands,
> 	need for excessive sleep (over 5 hours per 24),
> 	....?
>
> Frank Silbermann

Dear Frank,

Holistic Medicine has the cures for your list.  When I practiced
Conventional Medicine alone I had no cures for any of your list.
In addition, the cures for the ills on your list have many powerful
positive side effects thrown in free with no risk of harm!
--

cbosgd!ukma!wws(Walt Stoll)                       YOU

Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder & Medical Director                     ARE   MORE
Holistic Medical Centre
1412 North Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky  40505                  THAN  YOU  THINK
(606) 233-4273

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/21/85)

>> How about starting with curing
>> 	migraine headache tendencies,
>> 	unexplained fatigue,
>> 	oversensitivity to climatic changes or temperature extremes,
>> 	hayfever,
>> 	poor hand-eye coordination or unsteady hands,
>> 	need for excessive sleep (over 5 hours per 24),
>> 	....?
>>
>> Frank Silbermann

>Holistic Medicine has the cures for your list.
>Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP

What a statement!  Most of those items are NOT diseases--they are
simply symptoms.  Those symptoms may come from almost any cause (especially
if you include the "unexplained fatigue") from a nagging spouse to
cancer.  And yet Dr. Stoll has the gall to say that he has the cures,
without any further clue as to what is causing the symptoms.

Personally, I prefer a doctor who sometimes admits he doesn't know
the cure--and spends a bit more time trying to get the facts.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (10/26/85)

In article <315@drutx.UUCP>, slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
> >> How about starting with curing
> >> 	migraine headache tendencies,
> >> 	unexplained fatigue,
> >> 	oversensitivity to climatic changes or temperature extremes,
> >> 	hayfever,
> >> 	poor hand-eye coordination or unsteady hands,
> >> 	need for excessive sleep (over 5 hours per 24),
> >> 	....?
> >>
> >> Frank Silbermann
>
> >Holistic Medicine has the cures for your list.
> >Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
>
> What a statement!  Most of those items are NOT diseases--they are
> simply symptoms.  Those symptoms may come from almost any cause (especially
> if you include the "unexplained fatigue") from a nagging spouse to
> cancer.  And yet Dr. Stoll has the gall to say that he has the cures,
> without any further clue as to what is causing the symptoms.

Sue vastly underestimates the training and experience of the typical
Holistic Medical practitioner.  Only a completely untrained and
inexperienced professional would think of treating symptoms without
looking for causes (although at times it seems to Holistic Medical
Physicians that that is precisely what the Conventional Medical norm
is).
> Personally, I prefer a doctor who sometimes admits he doesn't know
> the cure--and spends a bit more time trying to get the facts.

Holistic Medicine doesn't have ALL the cures--just so many more than
Conventional Medicine alone (remember, Holistic Medicine contains
within it ALL of Conventional Medicine) that there truely is no
meaningful comparison any more.

--

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (10/31/85)

In article <2333@ukma.UUCP> wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:
>> >Holistic Medicine has the cures for your list.
>> >Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
>>
>> cancer.  And yet Dr. Stoll has the gall to say that he has the cures,
>> without any further clue as to what is causing the symptoms.
>>
>Sue vastly underestimates the training and experience of the typical
>Holistic Medical practitioner.  Only a completely untrained and
>inexperienced professional would think of treating symptoms without
>looking for causes (although at times it seems to Holistic Medical
>Physicians that that is precisely what the Conventional Medical norm
>is).
Enough already of your blatant self-advertising.
Besides which, there's a hell of a lot more to being "holistic" in your
approach than giving yourself capital letters in your job title.>
>Holistic Medicine doesn't have ALL the cures--just so many more than
>Conventional Medicine alone (remember, Holistic Medicine contains
>within it ALL of Conventional Medicine) that there truely is no
>meaningful comparison any more.

Then why the hell do you fail EVER on the net to recommend "conventional"
treatment?
And in any case, it's very close to false advertising and/or malpractice to
post "We Holistic Practioners have the cure..."
                              ----

As I've said before, I tend to trust recommendations of holistic medicine
when I get them from a mainstream doctor than from a a self-proclaimed
deprecator of mainstream medicine.

No smiley faces on this following suggestion:

foreach name ( ls ALL_NET.MED_READERS)
  mail wws < `/usr/games/banner shut up walt ` )
end

  Darwin's Dad (Carl Witthoft)  @ Adaptive Optics Assoc.,
 54 Cambridgepark Dr.,  Cambridge, MA 02140	617-864-0201
  ...!{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4,wjh12,wanginst}!bbncca!aoa!carl
  " Buffet-Crampon R-13 , VanDoren B-45, and VanDoren Fortes ."