[net.med] Dietary Fiber

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (10/21/85)

	According to this week's New York Times, the source of fiber in many
high fiber breads/foods is Wood Pulp.
	Not only is wood pulp a legally acceptable source of fiber (cellulose)
but it is also legal to label such products as 'All-natural', since trees fall
in that category.
	Not only that, there is probably nothing medically wrong with getting
dietary fiber in that form.  It is more or less chemically indistinguishable,
and well worth eating, since consuming Fiber in lieu of other things is good
for your health.
	So: the above is just for your information, and some of you are
probably cursing me out under your breath for ruining the taste of your food.
Don't worry - you'll get over it.  :-)

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (10/26/85)

In article <1959@aecom.UUCP>, werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

> 	According to this week's New York Times, the source of fiber in many
> high fiber breads/foods is Wood Pulp.

Those of us whose profession it is to keep up with these facts were
aware of the wood fiber >2 years ago.  It surely does take a long time
to get out to the public doesn't it?

> 	Not only is wood pulp a legally acceptable source of fiber (cellulose)
> but it is also legal to label such products as 'All-natural', since trees fall
> in that category.
> 	Not only that, there is probably nothing medically wrong with getting
> dietary fiber in that form.  It is more or less chemically indistinguishable,
> and well worth eating, since consuming Fiber in lieu of other things is good
> for your health.

For the past >60 years, the conventional medical wisdom was that:
Since fiber was inert and undigestible it was of no value whatsoever.
In fact, it was harmful to people with colitis and other chronic
intestinal conditions.  Finally, about 2 years ago the great discovery
was made that fiber may well be the single most important thing in our
diet--health food nuts right again!

It looks like the only people that wood fiber is going to be helpful
to are the ones whose ancestors lived on wood for the past million
years or so.  Those who are benefited by grain fiber had ancestors who
ate grain.  Beware of simplistic thinking:  just because the fiber is
"more or less chemically indistinguishable" has little or nothing to
do with how it works.

Come on, Craig Werner, lets see your reference that says: "there is
probably nothing medically wrong with getting dietary fiber in that
form".  All the references that I have seen say the opposite.
--

cbosgd!ukma!wws(Walt Stoll)                       YOU

Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder & Medical Director                     ARE   MORE
Holistic Medical Centre
1412 North Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky  40505                  THAN  YOU  THINK
(606) 233-4273

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (10/30/85)

In article <2338@ukma.UUCP> wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) writes:
>In article <1959@aecom.UUCP>, werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>>
>> 	According to this week's New York Times, the source of fiber in many
>> high fiber breads/foods is Wood Pulp.
>
>Those of us whose profession it is to keep up with these facts were
>aware of the wood fiber >2 years ago.  It surely does take a long time
>to get out to the public doesn't it?

I am not in the "profession", but I also was aware of this > 2 years ago.
The real shame is that this practice is dictated by economics:  it is
cheaper to use white flour and add wood pulp to increase the fiber than
it is to leave the fiber in in the first place!  Unfortunately, judging
by the mass media, there is now a fiber-fad (e.g. "Fruit and Fiber" cereal);
adding wood pulp allows one to increase the fiber content far beyond what
one would get from a normal whole-grain diet.  I would not be at all
surprised if this "more is better" attitude leads to as many problems as
the deficiency of fiber.

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/01/85)

>>  According to this week's New York Times, the source of fiber in many
>> high fiber breads/foods is Wood Pulp.
>
> Those of us whose profession it is to keep up with these facts were
> aware of the wood fiber >2 years ago.  It surely does take a long time
> to get out to the public doesn't it?

I first heard of this over 8 years ago. It sure does take a long time to get
out to "those of us whose profession it is to keep up with these facts",
doesn't it.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

smuga@mtuxo.UUCP (j.smuga) (11/01/85)

Jane Brody's Nutrition Book (1981) has a chapter on fiber that
includes the following statement:

	"However, finely ground wood fiber used in some breads
	is constipating."

I don't know what grounds Brody had for that claim; generally I rely
on her book for sound information.

Janet Smuga			I've had a great many troubles in my time,
ihnp4!mtuxo!smuga		and most of them never happened.