[net.med] Three questions for Dr. Stoll

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (11/01/85)

	For the public record, I'd like to ask three questions of Walt Stoll.
Please, no prompting from the audience until he's answered:

	1. Do you or did you do Hair Analysis?
	2. Do you do Cytotoxicity testing?

	3. What would you do in the following situation?
	A patient comes to your office with a sore throat of three days
duration.  She has difficulty swallowing.  Her cervical lymph nodes are
markedly swollen, even to her.  Upon looking down her throat, you see pus
on the tonsils. Well, ....

	As I said, quiet from the audience, what little of his credibility is
on the line here.
	However, for audience participation,  if you think I am a) persecuting
him, b) not going far enough, and/or c) wasting my time, please write me. Or
even write him.
	I'll save any further comments until we all see his answer.

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

wws@ukma.UUCP (Bill Stoll) (11/11/85)

In article <2000@aecom.UUCP>, werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

> 	For the public record, I'd like to ask three questions of Walt Stoll.
> Please, no prompting from the audience until he's answered:
>
> 	1. Do you or did you do Hair Analysis?

I have not ordered a Hair Analysis since Mineral Lab (in California)
sold their practice to Doctor's Data (in Chicago) a year or two ago.
I had used Mineral Lab because the World Health Organization (and an
unpublished 60 Minutes investigation) listed them as the only reliable
hair analysis laboratory in the US at the time (about 1977).  I have
been investigating laboratories for the past year or so & am still not
satisfied with quality sufficiently to begin using the information
again.

The World Health Organization has stated that hair analysis is the
most effective screening tool available for heavy metal toxicity.
Since it is now known that 1,500,000 US citizens have hypertension
because of low level lead intoxication; while 500,000 die of stroke &
500,000 more die of coronaries yearly from that same level of lead
(not reliably detected by blood or urine)--that one set of facts alone
would justify hair analysis.  These statistics were reported this year
at the annual Washington DC meeting of the Center of Disease Control.

 There are many documented cases of growth failure in children, due to
Zinc deficiency, whose blood and urine zincs were normal while their
hair zincs were reproducibly low.  Mercury intoxication from amalgams
frequently will not show up in blood or urine until the amalgams have
been removed when, for some as yet unknown reason, the person
frequently starts appearing.  In many of those same cases the hair is
the only indication of the mercury burden prior to amalgam removal.
The most important time to know, obviously, is before the procedure is
decided upon.

I could give example after example.  The point is: hair analysis is,
in 1985, about where blood chemistry was in the 1940's.  If we had
"thrown out the baby with the bathwater" back then, where would blood
chemistries be today?  Hair Analysis, correctly done, is a valuable
adjunctive bit of information which, when combined with the rest of
the conventional tests (lab, x-ray, history, physical, etc.), gives
information which cannot yet be obtained in other reasonably priced
ways.  It eventually will take its place with the rest of what
conventional medicine now calls its own.

The problem is the health food store, or magazine, that sells the lay
person a kit and tries to tell him or her EVERYTHING about his or her
health from that one test (and from a crummy lab at that).  How well
do you think people would do if they could get their blood chemistries
that way?  This obvious stupidity is no reason to deny those
physicians, who have taken the time to learn how to use this imperfect
tool, the right to help their patients in ways that are, as yet,
unavailable without it.

>  	2. Do you do Cytotoxicity testing?

No.  Frequently we have to talk a patient out of it.  Occasionally,
even after we have explained its limitations (below) the patient will
still insist on the test and we will draw the blood to send it to one
of the few labs in the country who know how to do it.  The patient
should have the right to make the choice so long as it is not directly
harmful.

Cytotoxic testing can give information not available through other
more acceptible procedures.  However, if the results are negative they
are only 25% accurate.  If they are positive, they are 75% accurate.
In my opinion, that is insufficient accuracy (for the price) to
recommend them.

> 	3. What would you do in the following situation?
> 	A patient comes to your office with a sore throat of three days
> duration.  She has difficulty swallowing.  Her cervical lymph nodes are
> markedly swollen, even to her.  Upon looking down her throat, you see pus
> on the tonsils. Well, ....

More than 75% of people with these findings have viral (not bacterial)
infections.  The only infection of even theoretical danger to the
patient, streptococcus Type A--Rheumatic Fever, etc., should (by most
current theories--though there is considerable recent data to the
contrary) be treated by Penicillin (or comparable antibiotic for those
allergic to Penicillin) for 10 full days.  The diagnosis (90%+
accurate) should be made on the spot with one of the new instant
laboratory tests for that purpose.  Or, for those not so up to date, a
throat culture (85% accurate and takes 24 hours) is still acceptable.

At the Holistic Medical Centre we would also recommend 1/4tsp salt in
exactly 8oz water to gargle, as warm as tolerable, as often as
helpful.  The reason for this exact ratio is that it is the same as
the salinity of the blood.  Too much salt causes irritation while too
lit
>kily is sufficient to stimulate interferon production to help fight
tha viral infection.  If there is sufficient pain for the person to be
willing to bother with it; we might recommend an ice bag to the
outside of the neck.

If the symptoms persist longer than a few days with appropriate
therapy the individual should have a screening test for Mononucleosis.

If this happened in the winter time we would also be sure that
humidification information was available since adequate humidity
inside the house, during the heating season, prevents all upper
respiratory infections not present in the summertime.

Did I pass, Craig?
--

cbosgd!ukma!wws(Walt Stoll)                       YOU

Walt Stoll, MD, ABFP
Founder & Medical Director                     ARE   MORE
Holistic Medical Centre
1412 North Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky  40505                  THAN  YOU  THINK
(606) 233-4273