[net.med] What is Lupus?

hogan@houxl.UUCP (K.HOGAN) (11/07/85)

Can anyone tell me anything about a disease called
Lupus?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

wts@burl.UUCP (wts) (11/08/85)

In article <853@houxl.UUCP> hogan@houxl.UUCP (K.HOGAN) writes:
>Can anyone tell me anything about a disease called
>Lupus?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>Thank you.

Lupus, more properly known as Systemic Lupus Erythematosus(SLE), is a disease
affecting the autoimmune system of the body, often affecting the
connective tissue of the body.  Manifestations of lupus are many, varied,
and often dificult to diagnose.  SLE is a chronic systemic autoimmune
collagen vascular disease, and can present itself in many varied forms
throughout any system in the body. A person may be plagued for many years
before a diagnosis is confirmed.  Most of the symptoms end with the suffix
 -itis, giving a key to the pathology seen in the illness - inflammation.

Clinically distressing symptoms of heat, swelling, pain and local tissue
damage accompany inflamation is the normal immune response.  The abnormnal
autoimmune response of SLE produces the same inflamation with the
accompanying distressing symptoms in a bizarre chronic fluctuating fashion,
affecting different sites at random for no known reason. The vasculitus
or inflamation of the veins and arteries seen in SLE in the heart, lungs,
swollen joints, skin, kidneys, or any other area of the body is caused
by clusters of antigens and antibodies (immune complexes) in combat. This
inflammation results in blockage, scarring, and damage of the small
blood vessels in these organs.

Earlier, because of inadeguate testing methods, lupus was believed to be
rare, affecting only a small percentage of the population.  In reality,
earlier diagnostic methods underreported the number of patients affected
by lupus.  With newer testing techniques, lupus has been diagnosed in
1 out of 2,000 in the general population, 1 out of 750 in Caucasian women,
and 1 out of 250 in black women.  Women in their child bearing years are
statistically more prone to developing lupus. It now affects an estimated
500,000 people in the U.S., and 50,000 new cases are diagnosed each year.
There are an estimated 5,000 deaths annualy from SLE. It is more common
than Muscular Distrophy, cystic fibrosis, MS, and leukemia.

Lupus in many cases manifests itself by the appearance of a blotchy
"butterfly" shaped rash across the face and bridge of the nose, or rashes
appearing elsewhere on the body.  This common dermatologic symptom
was considered to be a "trademark" of the earlier diagnostic methods,
while it is now known that one may develop lupus with no visible
dermatologic symptoms. Nevertheless, most lupus patients are advised
to avoid direct exposure to sunlight, to wear wide brim hats, long sleeve
shirts, sunscreens, etc., while outdoors.  It appears the exposure to certain UV
light may "trigger" an recurrance of certain more serious symptoms in certain
lupus patients. Many patients display the skin involvement only, and are
refered to as discoid lupus as opposed to systemic.

Each patient manifests SLE in an individual manner with no typical predictable
course or prognosis. The fluctuations are refered to as flares and remissions.
A well managed patient can remain in a remissive state for quite a while, and
then suffer an unexplained flare-up at any time. Factors causing flareups
are thought to be many, including emotional stress, infections, physical stress,
UV light, operations, pregnancy, sudden decrease of lupus medications, extreme
heat/cold, injuries, overwork, insufficient rest, allergies, poor living habits,
certain drugs, etc.

Remission does not mean that the patient is symptom free. Instead thru various
treatment methods, the patient learns to cope.  A signifigant side effect
is often depression or other emotional reactions expressing a sense of
helplessness on the part of the patient, partly because on its chronic
nature, lack of specific prognosis, and its difficulty in explaining
to others why sometimes you feel OK, and othertimes you feel lousy.
A key to adjustment and management is the support of friends and family
members, and joining one of many  lupus support groups where one can
compare notes, discover that "no, you aren't the only one that has it,"
and learn from guests and featured speakers what progress medical research
is making in finding a cause, cure, or improved tratment or diagnosis.

(Note: Sorry to be so long winded, but a close friend has been diagnosed as
having it. Things were rough for a while, but she's doing well and has
pretty much the same lifestyle as before - except no more tans at the
beach! BTW, I am by no means an MD. Most of the above was either
paraphrased or plagiarized from the Lupus Foundation of America/North
Carolina Lupus Foundation, Inc., Winston-Salem Lupus Chapter monthly
newsletters.)

					William T. Sykes
					AT&T Technologies, Inc.
					Burlington, NC
					burl!wts

jak@mtgzz.UUCP (j.a.kushner) (11/08/85)

> What is LUPUS?

Lupus is the name generally used for the colagen disease Lupus Erythematosis.
In brief, this is an immunologic-type disorder affecting multiple organ
systems and showing a variety of signs and symptoms.

In terms of testing, it occassionally may lead to a presumptive diagnosis of
CML (chronic myelogenous leukemia), but finding the typical LE cell usually
is one way of determining the difference.  Also, tests for anti-nuclear
antibodies are commonly positive with Lupus, but also, sometimes, with the
other collagen diseases.  It is essentially an autoimmune disease targetted
at DNA.

Hope this helps. (My memory of the specifics of LE seemed to be coming in
short bursts; sorry for the disorganized ramblings!)

margaret@asgb.UUCP (Margaret Ann Farnik) (11/11/85)

> Can anyone tell me anything about a disease called
> Lupus?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you.

Boy, can I tell you about Lupus. (:-) Lupus is the common name for Systemic
Lupus Erythmatosis. It is an autoimmune disease, considered to be part of the
arthritis family. There is no specific known cause (yet), but it is believed to
be linked to sun exposure, possibly allergies, and probably a genetic pre-
disposition toward it. There are many early symptoms. Some of these include
a rash on the face (usually shaped like a butterfly- imagine your nose as the
body, and a wing on each cheek- mine makes me look like a racoon), general
tiredness and/or malaise, pain in the joints, angina-like pain in the chest,
a (possibly) raised rash on the chest, back, or arms after sun exposure. It
can be diagnosed by a few blood tests (an LE-prep, anti-dna antibody, ana, and
a host of others).  Treatment depends on the physician, and your particular
disease. It acts differently in each case (making it difficult to diagnose,
and later treat.) Generally, an initial treatment of NSAIDS (non-steriodal
anti-inflammitory drugs), such as Clinoril, asprin, Feldene, and such is the
first line of attack. If this doesn't work, then steriods (such as Prednisone)
are tried. They are useful in knocking down a flare of the disease, but have
HORRIBLE side effects. But, the side effects beat dying. Other new treatments
include blood filtering (I forget the exact name of the procedure right now),
immunosuppresents (such as those used in organ transplants), and chemotherapy
(Cytoxin, etc.) These last treatments are generally a last ditch effort, and
should be approached with caution.

As for the disease itself, autoimmune means "allergic to self." Your antibodies
become confused as to what is a foreign cell, and what is a 'homebody' (ie-
you!) The weakest points are attacked first- generally the joints. This produces
a non-deforming form of arthritis. Other favorite areas of attack are the lining
of the heart and lungs, which produces an angina-like pain in the chest. The
kidneys are also a vulnerable area, with nephritis being one of the more serious
complications of the disease.  Liver damage is also possible.  Up to 10 years
ago, a patient was usually given about 3 years to live. Now, with proper
treatment, there is no reason that the lifespan should be shortened, barring
major complications. There is some connection between UltraViolet light (the
sun being a primary source) and the triggering of the disease.  Most (but not
all) Lupins have a sun sensitivity to some degree. But with the appropriate
paraphenalia (#22 SPF sunscreen, floppy hat, long sleeve shirt, umbrella, pup
tent...) you can make brief outings to the great outdoors. Most (~90%) of the
persons struck by Lupus are women.

Lupus can certainly complicate your life, and be a real pain in the wherever
a lot of the time. But it is not generally fatal, and gives you a real empathy
with what older folks are going through. If you have it, or know someone who
does, have them contact their local chapter of the Arthritis Foundation for
more complete information. I am also available through email for any questions
you may have. (Don't expect a reply until after Dec 9- I'm going on a honeymoon
trip to New Zealand, starting tomorrow 11/12.)

Margaret Farnik
Burroughs DSG Boulder Colo
...{hao|bmcg}!asgb!margaret

'