[net.med] Cure My Cold, Please

place@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/21/85)

Now that cold season is upon us, and I am in day #9 of my first cold
of the season, perhaps some of you blessed with medical knowledge
can be of some help.  Here is some background:
  My colds last anywhere from 1 and a 1/2 to 3 1/2 weeks.
  They start out with a complete shutting down of the sinuses.  I
have to use nosespray every two hours to breathe.
  The cold then drops down into my chest, giving me a cough and a
hoarse voice.
  My nose then begins to run constantly, having to be blown at least
once every two minutes.
  I feel lousy, achey, and tired during the duration.
  I take contac or dristan for cold symptoms, extra-strength tylenol
for aches and pains.  Sometimes an expectorant for cough.
  Question 1:  What is the average duration of a common cold?
  Question 2:  Is this a common cold?
  Question 3:  What should I take?
  Question 4:  What should I do?
  Question 5:  Why does every doctor I see when in the extreme throes
of a cold, say, "It's just a cold, it'll go away."
  Question 6:  How can I keep from getting colds in the first place?"
  This may sound silly to you, but I get no satisfaction (or cure or
even ease of suffering) when I visit a doctor.  I am open to all
legitimate suggestions.  I'm almost ready to try the Polish remedy
suggested to me of equal parts of lemon juice, honey, and vodka!

Denise
University of Illinois
The Super Computing Illini

jrm@cbuxc.UUCP (John Miller) (10/23/85)

> Now that cold season is upon us, and I am in day #9 of my first cold
> of the season, perhaps some of you blessed with medical knowledge
> can be of some help.  Here is some background:
>   My colds last anywhere from 1 and a 1/2 to 3 1/2 weeks.
>   They start out with a complete shutting down of the sinuses.  I
> have to use nosespray every two hours to breathe.

For me, nosesprays work great at first - I get the promised 12 hour relief,
but with subsequent use, I need to use it more often and when I attempt to
withdraw from it my nose shuts up like a steel trap! My advice is to never
use the spray, it only prolongs the ordeal.

>   The cold then drops down into my chest, giving me a cough and a
> hoarse voice.
>   My nose then begins to run constantly, having to be blown at least
> once every two minutes.
>   I feel lousy, achey, and tired during the duration.
>   I take contac or dristan for cold symptoms, extra-strength tylenol
> for aches and pains.  Sometimes an expectorant for cough.
>   Question 1:  What is the average duration of a common cold?

2 or 3 *BAD* days followed by 4 or 5 *better* days depending on your
previous state of health and depending on how you take care of yourself
during those days. I find that if I have been taking my 1-a-days previous
to the onset and during the cold and if I take real good care of myself
- e.g. when my body wants sleep, I sleep etc, it goes away fast. In fact,
I have no symptoms at all after 7 days.

If I don't take care of myself, have not been eating right, missing sleep,
etc - I tend to get more colds and much worse.

>   Question 2:  Is this a common cold?

A qualified yes, there are a zillion different virus that can cause it and
I have noticed that some will affect one area of my sinus while others
seem to concentrate on a different area. It is common in the sense that
it has been around alot.

>   Question 3:  What should I take?

good care of yourself, the drugs that are available CAN ONLY act on the
symptoms.

>   Question 4:  What should I do?

sleep alot and stay home for a couple of days - watch the soaps or rent
a bunch of good vidio tapes.

>   Question 5:  Why does every doctor I see when in the extreme throes
> of a cold, say, "It's just a cold, it'll go away."

Because they really can't help you any more then the drug store can and
that isn't much.

>   Question 6:  How can I keep from getting colds in the first place?"

If you are in a building (like at work) with a bunch of people that have
colds - avoid contact with them if possible, don't touch yours eyes or
pick your nose with your fingers (they may be infected). Wash your hands
(I'm not sure if this will remove virus, but I'm sure someone in netland
will set me straight). Above all, eat right, get enough sleep.

Also, be very very careful around final exam week, I would have a tendency
to run myself down and I could just about count on a cold for a reward.

>   This may sound silly to you, but I get no satisfaction (or cure or
> even ease of suffering) when I visit a doctor.  I am open to all
> legitimate suggestions.  I'm almost ready to try the Polish remedy
> suggested to me of equal parts of lemon juice, honey, and vodka!
>
> Denise
> University of Illinois
> The Super Computing Illini

Good luck,

John R. Miller, at&t bell labs, columbus

fc@spuxll.UUCP (fc) (10/23/85)

I have found that the single most common "coincidence" between my
getting a cold and preceding events is the exposure to a dense
crowd of people, as in elevators, subways, etc.  Normal suburban
living does NOT involve mingling with dense crowds (I can walk
up stairs to my office, for example).  A half-full movie theatre
does not affect me.  If I do catch a cold (~ 2-3/year) its usually
after visiting NYC and being with a lot of people.  I used the
word "coincidence" in line 1 because no single event will cause colds
for me every time.
Cold (as in low temperatures) does NOT cause colds (at least for me).
I do not use any drugs if I do get a cold - I just let nature take its
course.

blatt@Glacier.ARPA (Miriam Blatt) (10/26/85)

> Now that cold season is upon us, and I am in day #9 of my first cold
>   I take contac or dristan for cold symptoms, extra-strength tylenol
> for aches and pains.  Sometimes an expectorant for cough.
>   Question 1:  What is the average duration of a common cold?
>   Question 2:  Is this a common cold?
>   Question 3:  What should I take?
>   Question 4:  What should I do?
>   Question 5:  Why does every doctor I see when in the extreme throes
> of a cold, say, "It's just a cold, it'll go away."
>   Question 6:  How can I keep from getting colds in the first place?"
>
> legitimate suggestions.  I'm almost ready to try the Polish remedy
> suggested to me of equal parts of lemon juice, honey, and vodka!
>
> Denise

Denise, since the doctors aren't helping, probably the best thing you can do
is to improve your lifestyle. Do regular exercise, make sure you get enough
sleep, and eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit. Cut down a bit on
red meat - most Americans eat way more protein than they actually need, and
meat is full of fat which isn't much good for you. Above all, don't go to
extremes - no one knows exactly what is the optimum diet is, so don't feel too
guilty about eating the occasional thing that is probably bad, just try
to keep it occasional. However, exercise is undoubtedly important.

Another suggestion I've heard (originally from my mother, but more recently
from a fully qualified medical doctor) is to cut down on milk and milk
products when you have a cold.

Also, those chemicals you put into your body to help you survive the cold
may not help your immune system to fight it. I'm no medical person, but I
don't believe the medicos have made detailed studies on whether the nose
sprays and so forth have any statistical effect on how long an average
cold lasts. I would always avoid such things except in extreme cases. Of
course, your colds do sound pretty extreme.

Finally, another myth invented (or at least propagated) by my mother, is that
if you eat too much, your body gets so overloaded coping with your digestion
that it cannot give maximum attention to fighting your cold. BELIEVE THIS AT
YOUR OWN RISK. The idea is to avoid overeating, and perhaps have only 2 meals
a day.

Hope there is something there that might help.
						-Miriam

al@mot.UUCP (Al Filipski) (10/29/85)

<>
Has anyone got any information about a "cold cure" used in Israel that
consists of controlled breathing of hot air or steam? Supposedly the
heat either weakens the viruses or bolsters the body's immune system
(as a fever does) or both.  I have heard the customary story that it
is being kept out of the USA by the FDA or the medical establishment
or some such conservative conspiracy.  There are more quacks around
these days than you can shake a caduceus at, from Iridologists to
Reflexologists, and I am suspicious of new "cures", but, as everyone
knows, "if you read it on the net, it must be so", so does anyone
know about this?

Alan Filipski,  UNIX group, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ U.S.A 85282
{seismo|ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!al  |   ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!al

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (10/29/85)

> Another suggestion I've heard (originally from my mother, but more recently
> from a fully qualified medical doctor) is to cut down on milk and milk
> products when you have a cold.

	Milk products increase mucus production so ingesting them only
makes the runny nose and all worse.

	Also, a big factor in preventing the *spread* of colds is hand-washing !
(yes, everything your mother said was right all along). If you have a cold,
wash your hands often (esp. after a gbig bout of nose-blowing) and be sure
to dispose of used tissues properly. If you work with people with colds, wash
your hands after you are in contact with them and before eating or drinking.
Another thing that helps are the iodine-impregnated tissues which are just
now being marketed - unfortunately, they are only available in a few areas
right now.

--
jcpatilla

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (10/30/85)

Whenever I used to go to the student death clinic here with a
cold-like virus, they would recommend, among other things,
inhaling steam a few times a day, but they never said it would
cure anything, I think it was just supposed to relieve symptoms.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

Cure my run-on sentences, please

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (10/30/85)

[]
The unsubstantiated claim I've heard most recently (I forget where)
is that nasal congestion helps fight cold and flu viruses.  If air
can't circulate through the nasal cavities, heat builds up and kills
the little critters.

As for me, I think I'd rather have the cold a few extra days and be
able to breathe more-or-less freely.

--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    Staff.Melinda%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

"Beavers, by teamwork family life!"    [Dr. Bronner]

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Thomas Cox) (10/31/85)

[]
This is a bit off the track beaten so far, so bear with me.  I heard from an
unimpeachable source that people who work around ammonia just *don't get
colds.*  And after I spent a day [as a busboy] washing walls with an ammonia
solution, I discovered that my sinuses were just amazingly clear.  However,
short of a daily snort of ammonia, I guess that once you get the cold you
have to choose between "remedies" and just being comfortable.  But our
favorite U of C humanoid Melinda Shore already pointed out, comfort may be
more important.  I leave it to you.

yours,

--
                   Thomas Cox
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (10/31/85)

Re:  fighting colds

Here's another off-the-wall method that seems to work for me.  If I
feel a cold coming on, I purposely dress very warm, and sleep very warm,
on the verge of discomfort.  This usually reduces the duration and
intensity of the symptoms (I know, that's just a guess, there is nothing
to compare them to!).

Why does it work?  Because an elevated temperature (fever) may not just
be a side effect of illness, it may actually be an attempt by your body
to deter the reproduction of the infecting organisms.  If this concept
is correct, purposely staying (uncomfortably but not dangerously) warm
helps hold the infection at bay.

Then again it may just be a placebo.  All I know is, it works for me.

Alan Silverstein, hpfcla!ajs

tomm@tekig5.UUCP (Tom Milligan) (10/31/85)

A couple of years ago the magazine "Science 8[1-5]" had a brief report that
a doctor in Israel had developed a machine that cured (yes!) the common
cold.  In essence, it produced ~180 degree steam that the person with
a cold was supposed to breath.  The theory is that (according to this article)
cold virus' can only reproduce in an environment where the temperature is
less than normal human body temperature.  This is why they affect the mucus
membranes in the respitory tract.  In any case, breathing this hot steam at
some interval relating to the "gestation" period for cold virus' is supposed
to inhibit their reproductive cycle and eventually (ie. within 1 day) wipe
them out.  Whether this works or not, I don't know, but I would like to hear
if anyone has heard any additional information on this, I would at least be
curious to hear it.

				Tom Milligan

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (10/31/85)

	It is known that a cold, left to itself, will perist approximately
a week, while aggressive treatment will completely eliminate the disease
in seven days.

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (11/01/85)

>  Question 3:  What should I take?

I find it better to take NOTHING.  If I have a fever or muscle aches,
I may take some tylenol.  But OTC cold remedies seem to cause me more
trouble than they are worth.  Contac, for instance, makes me shakey,
groggy, and generally stupid (or more stupid, as the case may be.:-)
Nasel sprays, by the way, are very habit forming.  I have known people
who started taking them and soon couldn't breathe without them, even
when the cold was gone.

Think of it this way--the symptoms of the cold are actually your body
attacking the virus.  Let the symptoms take their course, and your
cold will be over sooner.  I have also found that if you don't take
anything, it is easier to ignore the cold and go on with your life.
If you are concentrating on your medicine all the time, you may feel worse!

Probably the best remedy when you are really feeling down is a shot
of whiskey.  That's about all the night-time cold remedies like Nyquil
are, by the way, is alcohol.  It's a pretty good cough medicine, too.

>  Question 4:  What should I do?

Drink a screwdriver and go to bed.  Or try to find something to occupy
your mind so you aren't thinking about how miserable you feel.

One thing NOT to do is to blow your nose much.  Let it run and wipe
it.  It will help, believe it or not.  Use chapstick under your nose
to prevent soreness.

>  Question 6:  How can I keep from getting colds in the first place?"

Just generally keep your health up.  Make sure you are eating a well-
balanced diet, exercise, and so on.  Keep away from large crowds of
people.  Most colds go around in the winter, not because of the cold,
but because people are inside, crowded together, and the virus can
get around better.  Avoid children if possible.  Most of the colds I
get anymore are from my daughter, who picks them up at school.

By the way, you may grow out of it.  I used to get lots of horrible
colds when I was young.  I seldom get them anymore, and I've been told
that this is quite common. (There's got to be *something* good about
growing old.)

Another thing I found once was that central heating can cause you to
have more colds.  We lived on a farm and had a propane stove instead of
central heat.  In two years I had no colds.  I don't know if this is
due to the higher humidity, or the fact that with central heating your
body gets used to one temperature, and any change, such as going outside
will affect you more.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

I march to the beat of a different drummer, whose identity,
   location, and musical ability are as yet unknown.

mann@LaBrea.ARPA (11/01/85)

A year or more ago, Science News reported on a study of inhaling hot, moist
air as a treatment for colds.  The treatment was said to work well, as I
recall, and I'd be interested to hear of any further developments.  I don't
remember who did the study, etc., but you could look it up.

	--Tim

avinash@ubvax.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) (11/04/85)

I heard that a double blind study done showed that sucking on a 23 mg.
zinc gluconate tablet, reduced the duration and severity of a cold.  The
tablet needed to be sucked (chewed) rather than swallowed.

Zinc gluconate tastes terrible so you have to be really motivated.  I've
heard that some of the health food stores carry flavored zinc tablets.

Anyone have references and more details about this study?

Avinash Marathe
{ihnp4,decwrl,allegra}!amd!ubvax!avinash

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (11/05/85)

In article Thomas Cox writes:
>This is a bit off the track beaten so far, so bear with me.  I heard from an
>unimpeachable source that people who work around ammonia just *don't get
>colds.*  And after I spent a day [as a busboy] washing walls with an ammonia
>solution, I discovered that my sinuses were just amazingly clear.  However,
>short of a daily snort of ammonia, I guess that once you get the cold you
>have to choose between "remedies" and just being comfortable....

At a minimum, you choose between "remedies" and just being confortable.  I
would venture that you also choose between an unreliable remedy and a
reliable environmental toxin.  Burns the hell out of membranes such as those
found in your nose, throat, eyes, even skin if contact is prolonged.  I'd go
for the comfort, and retain my sense of sight and smell while I'm at it.
--

-- Jon Krueger
UUCP:	...seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tuba

larsen@fisher.UUCP (Michael Larsen) (11/08/85)

> In article Thomas Cox writes:
> >This is a bit off the track beaten so far, so bear with me.  I heard from an
> >unimpeachable source that people who work around ammonia just *don't get
> >colds.*  And after I spent a day [as a busboy] washing walls with an ammonia
> >solution, I discovered that my sinuses were just amazingly clear.  However,
> >short of a daily snort of ammonia, I guess that once you get the cold you
> >have to choose between "remedies" and just being comfortable....
>
> At a minimum, you choose between "remedies" and just being confortable.  I
> would venture that you also choose between an unreliable remedy and a
> reliable environmental toxin.  Burns the hell out of membranes such as those
> found in your nose, throat, eyes, even skin if contact is prolonged.  I'd go
> for the comfort, and retain my sense of sight and smell while I'm at it.
> --
>
> -- Jon Krueger
> UUCP:	...seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tuba
> BITNET:	TUBA@UORDBV
> USMAIL:	University of Rochester
> 	Taylor Hall
> 	Rocheseter, NY  14627
> 	(716) 275-2811
> "A Vote for Barry is a Vote for Fun"

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (11/12/85)

This discussion reminded me of an amusing (to me) advertisement I  used  to
see  on  billboards  all over London.  The ads were for an over-the-counter
patent cold remedy.  I don't recall then name, but the gist was that  their
remedy  would  cure your cold.  All you had to do was take it regularly for
nine days ...

"God cures the patient.  The doctor collects the fee."

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe