[net.med] Need Advice on Limited-Carbohydrate Diet

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (11/20/85)

Some of you may be familiar with the book "Dr. Atkins' Diet
Revolution." A few years ago I went on this diet for about 4 weeks;
I lost weight rapidly and felt great. But I left the diet because
it severely limited my choice of foods, and because I was experiencing
side-effects of irritability.

What is the current medical consensus on this diet? Caveats? Long
range side effects?

In case you are not familiar with this diet, the theory is this. Most
people with weight problems, according to Dr. Atkins, have "functional
hypoglycemia." The symptoms of this condition are obesity, general
tiredness and weakness, and a tendency to be very sleepy after a meal
loaded with carbohydrates. The pancreas overreacts to the carbohydrates
and floods the body with insulin, thus making the individual sleepy.
Dr. Atkins' diet is a treatment of this condition.

First, one stops all intake of carbohydrates for a week. At most, he
limits himself to 2 grams a day. At the end of the week, he should
be in a state of ketosis, as measured by Ketostix (R). Dr. Atkins
says that the ketones in the urine represent partially burned calories,
which the body "sneaks" away without exercise. As long as one is in this
state of ketosis, he will lose weight. The body is breaking down fat
to produce the glucose and other carbohydrates needed. Thus we have
weight loss without exercise. On this diet the functionally hypoglycemic
will begin to feel more energy. Once one has entered ketosis, he
increases his daily carbohydrate intake week after week until his
urine no longer shows ketone content on the Ketostix (R). This is his
maintenance level of carbohydrate intake, which he should keep for life.
Some can have quite a lot of carbohydrates per day; others have
especially intolerant systems that must be limited to less than 5 grams
per day.

Is Dr. Atkins full of B. S.? Is his diet downright dangerous? Or is
it a safe and effective method of weight control?

I have a personal stake in this. A week ago I limited my carbohydrate
intake to 25 grams/day, and my acetoacetic acid level quickly shot up
to 50-60 mg/dL as measured by Ketostix (R). I began feeling irritable,
so on the third day of this diet I adjusted my carbohydrate limit to
about 100 grams/day, which is the level my physician suggested for
optimum weight loss at my last physical. In the last week I have
lost almost an inch around my waist and have gained new energy. But my
acetoacetic acid content has leveled out at 40 mg/dL (moderate ketosis).
I am concerned that this level of ketosis might be dangerous in the
long run.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

jak@mtgzz.UUCP (j.a.kushner) (11/20/85)

The loss of weight is certainly due to burning fats and excreting them through
the urine.  These fats are NOT making glucose, or other CHO's, though.  They are being broken down to 2 carbon units which, with sufficient CHO intermediates,
would normally produce a lot of energy (ATP) by going through the Krebs cycle
and then the respiratory (electron transport) chain.  They are building up in
excess and the only thing the body can do is to form 'ketone bodies', the keto-
acids acetoacetic, beta-hydroxy-butyric, and acetone (the volatile substance
giving the 'fruity' odor on the breath of a diabetic approaching diabetic coma).

By ridding yourself of these 'energy units', you certainly will lose weight
without exercise (similar in fashion to the anorrexic!)

What the body does to battle this acidosis is really the main problem.  The
dieting/weight-loss theory is fine, but the body cannot withstand the low pH.
The kidneys are the main compensatory organ (what is your urinary pH?), and
get some help from the lungs (how fast are you breathing).  The most serious
response is that the cells in the body will attempt to buffer the pH by
exchanging intracellular K+ with extracellular H+.  The rest of the body sees
a relatively normal blood pH, thanks to all of the compensators, but inside the
cells the normal electrical potential gradient is upset.

Your irritability can be related to the low potential difference surrounding
the cell membrane.  The cells 'fire' very easily, with little stimulus.  Also,
your lack of energy is related to the fact that you are burning a lot more
calories than you are taking in, but by not producing the 'normal' amount of
ATP from these calories, you are feeling fatigued, constantly.

Hope some of this helps.  Good luck.
Jeff

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (11/20/85)

In article <508@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:

>Some of you may be familiar with the book "Dr. Atkins' Diet
>Revolution." A few years ago I went on this diet for about 4 weeks;
>I lost weight rapidly and felt great. But I left the diet because
>it severely limited my choice of foods, and because I was experiencing
>side-effects of irritability.

>Is Dr. Atkins full of B. S.? Is his diet downright dangerous? Or is
>it a safe and effective method of weight control?

I haven't read _D.A.D.R._ , but I've read a couple of his other books,
including _Dr. Atkins' Super Energy Diet_ and _Dr. Atkins' Nutrition
Breakthrough_.  These have a lot of useful information, and I recommend
reading them.  (available in paperback at most bookstores and
nutrition stores)

Yes I know the titles sound like something out of the _National Enquirer_,
but like they say, you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Anyway, he lists a couple of rare conditions under which the diet
could be harmful, and strongly recommends being checked for these
beforehand, just in case.  (I'm not listing them because I don't
remember what they were.)

I didn't need to lose weight, so I didn't try the absolute zero
carbohydrate diet, I just eliminated all sugar (which knocked out
99% of the stuff I was eating, read those labels, you'll be shocked
at the things they put sugar in!), cut down on white flour, and
started taking vitamin/mineral suppliments.  This alone helped
tremendiously.  Strangely, I lost about two inches around the waist,
without losing weight.  (no cracks about getting denser :-)  )

But I still didn't feel as good as I thought I should, so I thought
that something else might be wrong, in addition to hypoglycemia. I
went in and saw a conventional MD (happy Craig?), who ordered a battery
of tests, some of which were, shall we say, not exactly fun, and
which turned up absolutely nothing.  Upon my insistance, these included
a GTT, except they refused to do it properly and take samples for
5-6 hours like is supposed to be done, but only took them for three.
Naturally, the numbers they got fell within 'normal', never mind
my head feeling like it was in a vice, and being too tired to do
anything except lie down.  (too much pain to go to sleep)
Joe MD pronounces me to be as healthy as a horse (?) and sends
me on my way.

The next thing I need to try is a diet with lots of raw or lightly
cooked veggies (e.g. Chinese stir-fry), no white flour at all,
and check for food allergies.  Problem is (1) finding a source of
decent produce, and (2) learning how to prepare it.  -sigh-

Also need to get more exercise.  -sigh-

Snoopy (ECS Ronin #901)
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) (11/21/85)

I'm no expert but I see a few things wrong with this type of diet.
First I'll say that I've been on this diet and it does work. I'm
not on it now. I have found better, more healthly ways to lose
weight. (And if you want to know them, send $10 to me :-))

1. Being in ketosis puts an awful strain on your kidneys. And con-
sidering how important your kidneys are, you might not want to
stress them any more than you have to.

2. Low carbohydrate diets tend to be high protien diets since there
isn't that much left to eat. That means that they are usually high
fat diets unless you avoid beef, pork, lamb, and the skin on poultry
also. And high fat diets are definitely not good for you since fats
provide no nutrition beyond calories. (Your need for fatty acids
is pretty low and you don't have to eat very much fat to meet it.)

3. Since you are cutting out most of a whole food group you are
cutting out a lot of very important nutrients. Unless you are talking
vitamen supplements, you may not be getting all the vitamen A and
C you need.

4. Fruits, vegetables and grains provide dietary fiber. Sure you can
get it by eating raw bran, but I've read that it's much more effective
when still in it's original container, ie an apple or whole grain
bread. I can personally vouch for this fact, for what it's worth.

5. Diets, in general, cause the loss of muscle and fat. Losing fat is
great. Losing muscle is not so good since it's your muscles that burn
your food. Everything I've read seems to show that exercise is the
only way to assure losing fat and not muscle.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but this is what I've read over the years.

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!seb