[net.med] Question about Thyroid test.

mej@ptsfa.UUCP (Mary Johnson) (11/20/85)

I have been diagnosed as having low thyroid, and referred to an
endocrinologist who wants me to take a thyroid scan test.  I understand
that this involved swallowing radioactive iodine, and am worried about
that - especially since it seems that radioactive iodine is used as
treatment for an over-active thyroid gland.  I was wondering if anyone
on the net could tell me:

1.  Is this test necessary for an accurate diagnosis of a low thyroid problem?
    (I've had extensive blood tests.)

2.  Would taking the iodine lessen what thyroid function I've got?

3. What are the effects of swallowing something radioactive?

4. Are there dietary precautions for a person with low thyroid?
   Any supplements that would be helpful?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

       Mary Eileen Johnson
       {ucbvax,cbosgd,hplabs,decwrl,amd,sun,nsc}!dual!ptsfa!mej
               or                                ihnp4!ptsfa!mej
               or                                well!ptsfa!mej

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (11/22/85)

>From: mej@ptsfa.UUCP (Mary Johnson)
>I have been diagnosed as having low thyroid, and referred to an
>endocrinologist who wants me to take a thyroid scan test.

I've had this scan done, although my problem is high thyroid.  I'll tell
you what I know--but remember I'm not a doctor.  You should take your concerns
to yours.  (Remember, you are paying him for his advice :-)

>1.  Is this test necessary for an accurate diagnosis of a low thyroid problem?
>    (I've had extensive blood tests.)

The blood tests say you have low thyroid.  They don't say WHY.  That
is what the scan is for.  There are lots of causes--and treatment differs
depending on the cause.  What they are mainly looking for is a tumor.  (Don't
be scared by that.  Thyroid tumors are among the most curable--and most
are benign, too.)  Treatment for that would be removal.  But treatment
for some other conditions would be to just give you thyroid.  So you
see, they really do need to know what's going on.  Besides looking for
abnormalities, they will look at how fast your thyroid laps up the iodine.
That number can tell them things, too.  (Details I don't know.)

>2.  Would taking the iodine lessen what thyroid function I've got?

No.  The doses given for high thyroid are *massive*.  The dose for a
scan is very slight.  Don't quote me, but I think you'll get more radiation
from your dentist when he X-rays you.  (And its less localized than an
iodine scan!)

>3. What are the effects of swallowing something radioactive?

Should be none in this case.  As I said, it's not much radiation.  My
doctor will not give radioactive iodine for my high thyroid.  He will
probably have me have surgery instead.  He feels the large doses to
knock out the thyroid are possibly dangerous.  But he did have a scan
done, and he says it is harmless.  So the two things are quite different.

I had no effects from my scan.  It is a little scary, since they use
tongs and lead gloves and have it in a massive case.  But that's because
they are working with it all the time, and need to be protected.  (Just
as your dentist will leave the room while he X-rays you.)  It's really
quite interesting--lay back and enjoy it--the computer equipment used
was fascinating.

>4. Are there dietary precautions for a person with low thyroid?

All I've ever heard is that you should probably be using iodized
salt and eating some seafood.  A lack of iodine can cause the problem
(although it can have lots of other causes, as I said.)  I think it has
to be an extreme lack, though.  Very uncommon these days, when most of
us have access to seafood no matter where we live.  My doctor, when I first
was diagnosed as hyperthyroid, asked if I was on any megavitamins or ate
lots of kelp (no to both).  He said he's seen people ruin their thyroids
that way.   (Flames from megavitamin lovers should be sent to my doctor--I'm
not the one who said that!)  Other than that I don't think anyone has ever
connected diet and thyroid problems.

>   Any supplements that would be helpful?

Ask your doctor.

Hope that helps.  The scan is really nothing.  You should worry more
about X-rays.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

      To search for perfection is all very well,
      But to look for heaven is to live here in hell.
                                       --Sting