[net.music] Ultimate Spinach ??

iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP (iannucci) (03/19/85)

\\  From: David J. Iannucci  (iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP)

             My brother was interested to know if there was any information
out there in netland on a psychedelic band called Ultimate Spinach.  He
didn't think that there was anyone left who would remember what seems to be
such an obscure band, but he doesn't know this net like I do.  DOES anyone
remember this band?
--
Dave Iannucci
St. Joseph's University, Philadelphia

techpub@mhuxt.UUCP (mcgrew) (03/20/85)

> \\  From: David J. Iannucci  (iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP)
>

>              My brother was interested to know if there was any information
> out there in netland on a psychedelic band called Ultimate Spinach.  He
> didn't think that there was anyone left who would remember what seems to be
> such an obscure band, but he doesn't know this net like I do.  DOES anyone
> remember this band?
> --
> Dave Iannucci
> St. Joseph's University, Philadelphia
> ...{allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!iannucci
> "A witty saying proves nothing. "      --Voltaire

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH SOMETHING ULTIMATE ***

You bet I remember US!!  I believe I have an album home.  Haven't listened
to them in *quite* a while though.  (Of course now I'll have to go home
tonight and refresh my memory!)  I had a friend who had a jones on
US and listened to them every single day for an entire summer!

Melanie
ihnp4!mhuxt!techpub

Benjamin%PCO@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA (Paul Benjamin) (03/20/85)

I remember them.  In fact I have (2 copies, I think) their first album
(I believe there was more, but am not positive).  I believe it was
released in 1968.  I can see if there is anything useful to be learned
from the album cover.  What do you want to know about them?

zadco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Rick Fairfield) (03/21/85)

> \\  From: David J. Iannucci  (iannucci@sjuvax.UUCP)
>

>              My brother was interested to know if there was any information
> out there in netland on a psychedelic band called Ultimate Spinach.  He
> didn't think that there was anyone left who would remember what seems to be
> such an obscure band, but he doesn't know this net like I do.  DOES anyone
> remember this band?
> --

Of course I remember! I used to own one of their lp's; it seems to have
disappeared over the course of many years. sigh. I wish I could listen
to it right now.

I can picture the album cover but I can't remember clearly what the music
was like. Does anyone remember Ultimate Spinach album titles; and also
what years they came out?

This subject has triggered an extreme nostalgia attack.

							zzzzzadco

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (03/21/85)

>              My brother was interested to know if there was any information
> out there in netland on a psychedelic band called Ultimate Spinach.  He
> didn't think that there was anyone left who would remember what seems to be
> such an obscure band, but he doesn't know this net like I do.  DOES anyone
> remember this band?
> --
> Dave Iannucci

Am I really that old?  This was one of three bands out of Boston (I must be
old, I can't remember the other two!) that were packaged as "The Boston
Sound" by Columbia (?) in the late 60s.  They had an "album station" hit
called "Jazz Thing".  Quite nice music, for the time.  I think only one of
the bands survived long enough to do a second album.

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (03/21/85)

>              My brother was interested to know if there was any information
> out there in netland on a psychedelic band called Ultimate Spinach.  He
> didn't think that there was anyone left who would remember what seems to be
> such an obscure band, but he doesn't know this net like I do.  DOES anyone
> remember this band?

How could we forget songs like 'Mindflowers' and 'Plastic Raincoats
And Hung-Up Minds?' As far as I can remember, they only put out a
single album, 'Ultimate Spinach.' The cover was your basic late-'60s
fold out with lyrics in the middle and some kind of plant substance
billowing up on the outside (the Ultimate Spinach, I guess). Many of
the songs on the album were just plain silly, but anything sounds
great after you've been sucking on Whacky Tobaccky for 12 hours. It
seems to me that an article on this band claimed they were a
put-together band, sort of a psychedelic Monkees. Another rumor I've
heard is that Steely Dan was a spinoff from Ultimate Spinach. Any
confirmation of these absurdities would be most welcome.

And while we're on the subject of obscure bands ... I'd greatly
appreciate it if someone could tell me what ever happened to the
members of the bands The Paupers, Mad River, and The Edgar Broughton
Band? The Paupers put out two albums in the late '60s; the first was
'Ellis Island;' I don't know the name of the second. I seem to recall
that the band was composed of some excellent studio musicians who
decided to form their own group.  Mad River put out two albums:
'Mad River' and 'The Paradise Bar And Grill.' They were part of the
San Francisco scene along with the Dead, the Airplane, Quicksilver
Messenger Service, and the Charlatans. At the time, I thought their
lead guitarist was coming up with some very creative licks. The Edgar
Broughton Band put out at least a couple of albums on Harvest; one
of them was 'Wasa Wasa,' I think. They had a weird sound sort of like
Mel Torme on downers doing Captain Beefheart tunes. :-) :-)

                                             Bill Ingogly
                                             Univ. of North Carolina

dmm@browngr.UUCP (David Margolis) (03/22/85)

Not only do I remember Ultimate Spinach, I have their first album.
US was one of a number of bands under the heading of the "Boston Sound"
which really was an attempt (shortlived) to make people believe that
an honest to goodness new music happening was going on in Boston, that
it was the begining of something that would last for awhile and establish
Boston as , say, the San Francisco of the East.  This was around 1964-5.
Other bands were Circus Maximus (Jerry Jeff Walker), Beacon Street Union,
and some I can't remember.  Very weird album, definitely under the psychedelic
classification, but personally I would class it under the PCP category, except
there wasn't one back then.  Songs like "Beware the Hip Death Goddess",
(that might not be the exact title, but it's close - I haven't looked at
the album in quite a while) were typical.  Same feeling as Joe Byrd and the
Field Hippies, and their immortal song "Waiting to Die". (Phil Spector are
you out there?)
	I liked the album for a little while, but then I discovered the
the real bands of the time, like Country Joe and the Fish, original
Quicksilver Messenger Service, Grateful Dead, etc., along with the
real drugs of the time, and I forgot about them for the most part. Rumour
had it that members of the band later were part of the early Steely Dan,
but I have never been able to substantiate that.  If anyone is interested
I'll look at the album the next time I go home and post more specifics.