[net.med] Caloric Expenditure

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/08/86)

	For those who are tired of dieting, and wich to increase the expenditure
side of the energy equation, the following may be of interest.

	A kiss of average duration consumes approximately 9 Calories (no, it
didn't specify what average duration is).  At a conversion factor of 3500
Calories to the pound, that works out as a ratio of 380 kisses to the pound.

	Walking and Running consume the same number of calories per mile, but
since you run faster than you walk (or should), walking consumes less
calories per unit time.

	And for those who really wanted to know, the average act of sexual
intercourse (lasting 9 minutes, your mileage may vary) consumes about 40
Calories, or approximately the same as climbing two flights of stairs.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (01/15/86)

In article <2166@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP writes:

>	A kiss of average duration consumes approximately 9 Calories (no, it
>didn't specify what average duration is).  At a conversion factor of 3500
>Calories to the pound, that works out as a ratio of 380 kisses to the pound.

Seems like eating 380 Hersey's kisses would probably add more than a pound.
:-)

>	And for those who really wanted to know, the average act of sexual
>intercourse (lasting 9 minutes, your mileage may vary) consumes about 40
>Calories, or approximately the same as climbing two flights of stairs.

I'm sure the rest of the net is curious as to how they measured this,
and how large their sample size was.

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy
"Sunup? Thatsa *mya* horse!"