[net.med] Reactive hypoglycemia

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/04/86)

>         In a reactive hypoglucemic, the blood sugar starts out normal,
> then shoots way up, then comes crashing down, and several hours later
> finally levels out.  When the blood sugar is high, you have a lot of
> energy and feel great, when it is dropping, you feel tired, have headaches,
> and are very iritible(sp?).  A good good test should have samples
> at least every half hour, every 15 minutes would be better, and should
> last for six hours, not just three.

                                       The morons who did my test
> refused to do it properly, so the numbers didn't show a problem,
> but the symtoms were definitely there.  (Imagine the nerve of a
> mere patient thinking that they might possibly know something!)

	[Spelling = irritable]

	I sense an attitude problem here.
	What is the situation:  we have non-specific subjective symptoms, which
some people might even consider a variant of normal  and an "alleged" disease
which is billed as extremely rare by some and as affecting 10% of the USA
population by others.
	Please note that most who advocate its commonness cannot prove it one
way or the other, because they are not licensed to draw blood.
	However in order to detect this "disease" one has to undergo a labor
intensive mildly invasive test that probably runs a few hundred dollars.  When
this is done, however, the results are inevitably normal.  However, look at
the above, Snoopy refuses to believe the normal results.
	Look, whatever makes you happy, no amount of convincing will talk you
or any true believer out of the diagnosis.  And as long as your treatment
(eliminating Sugar), although distasteful (Pun intended) does no harm, go for
it.  But don't advocate your paranoia (and a little paranoia is a healthy
thing) as the basis of Public health policy.

--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (01/15/86)

In article <2161@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>  What is the situation:  we have non-specific subjective symptoms, which
>some people might even consider a variant of normal

Hardly a variant of normal.

>	However in order to detect this "disease" one has to undergo a labor
>intensive mildly invasive test that probably runs a few hundred dollars.  When
>this is done, however, the results are inevitably normal.  However, look at
>the above, Snoopy refuses to believe the normal results.

Well excuse me for not believing the results of a test which was done
improperly.  Do you also expect me to believe what a scope says when
the probe is left ungrounded?  Do you check the level of engine oil
when your car is parked on a 45 degree hill?  A test which is not done
properly is not meaningful.

>	Look, whatever makes you happy, no amount of convincing will talk you
>or any true believer out of the diagnosis.

Might as well try and convince me that I can see 20/20 without corrective
lenses.  It's *not* psychosomatic, Craig.  It would have been nice if
they would have consented to do the extra samples as I had requested.
(One wonders why they wouldn't, they weren't busy, and they could have
made more money off of more blood tests)  But they refused to do the
extra samples, so what do you want me to do?  Find someone else who
agrees to do it properly and go through it again just to convince
skeptics like yourself?  No thanks, spending one day with my head
in a vise is quite enough.

Of course, subjective symptoms mean nothing. The only thing that
matters is hard numbers derived from double-blind tests.  (So how
come they believe me when I say "the first one was better" when I
have my eyes checked?)

>	I sense an attitude problem here.

What do you expect?

Craig, how about reading up on hypogylcemia, and on the effects
of refined sugar rather than trying to tell me I don't know
what I'm talking about?  You've been a lot more reasonable lately,
don't stop now!

Snoopy
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (01/18/86)

>Might as well try and convince me that I can see 20/20 without corrective
>lenses.  It's *not* psychosomatic, Craig.
>Snoopy

If you want to be convincing, you need to use another analogy.  That exact
thing has been done by lots of quacks with "eye exercise" schemes.  A good
reference is Martin Gardner's "Fads and Fallacies".

Note I'm not saying whether there is anything to the reactive hypoglycemia
argument.  Just that it is perfectly possible to convince someone that
they can see well when they can't, and to remind you that the mind is
a strange and wonderous thing.

--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

      To search for perfection is all very well,
      But to look for heaven is to live here in hell.
                                       --Sting

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/18/86)

	Within the past month, there have been two accounts on Hypoglycemia:
Burt Campbell's heart-rending account, and Snoopy's diatribe.
	Anyone reading Burt's history cannot help but understand that not
only is Hypoglycemia a real disease, but that it is extremely debilitating.
Burt's description is classic and could have come out of a textbook (*) because
literally every manifestation is there (* or should be written into one).
	Notice the dramatic difference between Bert's Glucose Tolerance Test
sending his blood sugar down to levels that could cause loss of consciousness,
and Snoopy's "within normal limits" after 3 hours.
	Obviously, I shouldn't say that Snoopy DOESN'T have reactive
hypoglycemia - I haven't examined him or seen his chart. My original point
was that a lot of people, including Carlton Fredericks, have scared a lot of
healthy people into thinking they have terrible diseases. Hypoglycemia is one
such disease.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) (01/18/86)

Hi, just to comment on the test for "reactive hypoglycemia".

A few years ago my wife was diagnosed as having "reactive hypoglycemia".
The diagnosis was done my a reputable MD (the test was not done by anything
less than a "real" doctor). The test given was called a "glucose tolerance test"
and did not cost very much (something like $40).  Not being a doctor,
I am unaware of the complete use of this test but, my wife did show a
"lower than normal" sugar level in her blood. The symptoms for her were
far from psychosomatic; after digesting a quantity of suger (sucrose)
she would become very enrgetic then after a few hours would be slightly
depressed and moody.

	Harry Reed
	sdcrdcf!doon