[net.med] Spontaneous Combustion and people!

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (01/06/86)

 I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where certain
information regarding this phenomenom, or any ideas on where I could find any
information about it, I would appreciate a response in the mail.
           THANKS!       Peter Espen

espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) (01/08/86)

In article <434@well.UUCP>, espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) writes:

>  I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where certain
> information regarding this phenomenom, or any ideas on where I could find any
> information about it, I would appreciate a response in the mail.
>            THANKS!       Peter Espen

	Part of my previous query spontaneously combusted!
	I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where
certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom. I would especially like to
learn about any possible written material regarding this rather amazing claim.
	Thanks. I'll post any information I get if anyone is interested.
	Peter Espen

> I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where certain
> information regarding this phenomenom, or any ideas on where I could find any
> information about it, I would appreciate a response in the mail.
>            THANKS!       Peter Espen

	There was a book written on the subject several years ago entitled
"Fire from Heaven" by a Michael Harrison which purports to document several
cases.  I have read the book, and am frankly quite skeptical about this
alleged phenomenon.  If anyone wants the details behind my skepticism, I will
explain.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                          burl!gladys!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (01/08/86)

Check back issues of the "National Inquirer" and "Star"
taboloids.  They publish this type of stuff all the time.
T. C. Wheeler

hosking@convexs.UUCP (01/12/86)

>	I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where
> certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
> charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
> might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom.

It's true!  It's true!  For more details, you'll have to see "Repo Man." :-)

wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (Tex) (01/13/86)

In article <18400017@convexs> hosking@convexs.UUCP writes:

>>	I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where
>> certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
>> charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
>> might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom.
>
>It's true!  It's true!  For more details, you'll have to see "Repo Man." :-)

   It is true; if you want to see it for yourself, post an article to net.micro
   to the effect that IBM should have used a 68000 in the PC.

   I did and I am still smouldering.

   Bill

hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) (01/16/86)

> >	I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where
> > certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
> > charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
> > might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom.

I have to believe this discussion was originally motivated by the
current presentation on PBS of Dickens' "Bleak House." Dickens has
one of the characters die by spontaneous combustion.  I couldn't figure
out what was supposed to have happened to him, until the host,
Alister Cook, introducing the next episode, explained that the author
had made use of this folk belief.

-- Henry Friedman

> > >	I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where
> > > certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
> > > charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
> > > might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom.
>
> I have to believe this discussion was originally motivated by the
> current presentation on PBS of Dickens' "Bleak House." Dickens has
> one of the characters die by spontaneous combustion.  I couldn't figure
> out what was supposed to have happened to him, until the host,
> Alister Cook, introducing the next episode, explained that the author
> had made use of this folk belief.

	The belief that this alleged phenomenon exists has been around for a
number of years.  There have indeed been some unexplained deaths within the
past thirty years in the U.S. whereby the decedent was fully or partially
consumed by fire with little damage to the surrounding area.  Due to the large
water content and otherwise poor self-sustaining combustion characteristics
of the human body, this presents an incongruity since a substantial amount
of external energy (hundreds of thousands of BTU's) is required to cremate a
body.  I don't feel it appropriate to go into gory detail at this point, but
anyone reading this who has ever been involved with forensic science, a law
enforcement agency, or a fire department will understand what I mean.  The
cases I am referring to are real, were investigated by law enforcement agencies
and were reported in the "real" press - NOT half-baked phony stories such as
would appear in the "National Enquirer".
	Interestingly enough, less than a week ago this subject was covered
on a Canadian television program "The Fifth Estate" which appeared on Tuesday,
14 January.  By sheer coincidence, I happened to see it on Toronto station CBLT.
The television show interviewed law enforcement people, fire department people
and other witnesses all of whom confirmed the unexplained phenomenon.  The show
also interviewed an electrical engineer from Harrisburg, PA who has spent a
considerable amount of his time researching the subject in preparation for a
book (I can't recall his name at the moment).  No one has offered any plausible
explanation for the incidents which have occurred.
	I personally do not believe that human body can undergo "spontaneous
combustion" - even with an external ignition source as a trigger - there is
simply too much energy required.  Without having access to any intimate details
of the cases in recent years, the only wild speculation I can offer is that
all incidents involved crime and/or suicide where an unidentified combustion
accelerant was used.
	I had taped the particular TV program, but alas, my wife accidently
erased it.  I would suggest that anyone interested in further information give
CBLT television a call in an effort to contact the producers of "The Fifth
Estate".
	Incidently, there is a physician on the Net (whose name escapes me at
the moment) who is a medical examiner.  I would be curious to see his comments.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/21/86)

> > >	I have been hearing recently about a suppossed phenomenom where
> > > certain people have suppossedly spontaneously combusted. Usually their
> > > charred remains are found. I would appreciate any information that people
> > > might have regarding this suppossed phenomenom.
>
> I have to believe this discussion was originally motivated by the
> current presentation on PBS of Dickens' "Bleak House." Dickens has
> one of the characters die by spontaneous combustion.  I couldn't figure
> out what was supposed to have happened to him, until the host,
> Alister Cook, introducing the next episode, explained that the author
> had made use of this folk belief.
>
> -- Henry Friedman

See the book _Fire_From_Heaven_: _A_Study_of_Spontaneous_Human_Combustion_.
I don't remember the author's name, but he's a respectable historian of
Victorian times.  Cases cited in the book including a number of thoroughly
studied cases in the United States in the 1950s.  The author is quite
ready to admit that it just isn't possible.  He just can't figure out
what to do with the cases, some of them witnessed in this century by
credible witnesses.

ayers@convex.UUCP (01/28/86)

>...The cases I am referring to are real, were investigated by law
>enforcement agencies and were reported in the "real" press - NOT half-baked
>phony stories such as would appear in the "National Enquirer".
>...No one has offered any plausible
>explanation for the incidents which have occurred.

Several years ago there was a "surviver" of such an incident.  It happened
in his RV while sitting in a parking lot.  He was taking a nap (on a bed in
the rear of the RV) with his hand laying by an open window.  He woke up when
his hand/arm became uncomfortably warm. Opening his eyes, he saw something
that looked like a ball of St. Elmo's fire dancing on his metal watchband.
When it grew and enveloped his hand and started up his arm, he suddenly
experienced intense pain, jumped up, ran to the sink and poured cool water
over his arm.  He wound up in the hospital, and lost the hand and part of the
arm due to severe burns.  The hospital discounted his story, even though a
local physicist interviewed the man and said his description sounded a lot
like a new thing they were working on at the time.  Something called "ball
lightening" -- an item that is still contested today, but generally accepted.

(BTW, his bed clothes were unharmed, except for the stench of burning flesh,
and his watch quit working and started attracting metal, but otherwise looked
okay...)

So what's the story prove?  Nothing. But it is an interesting speculation...

<Sorry 'bout the sources...>
<But you didn't give any sources!>
<Exactly...>

blues, II