[net.med] prevention of hangovers

bi50xrs@sdcc3.UUCP (dragon) (01/07/86)

i had heard that after consuming lots of alcohol,
the effects of any hangovers are nullified if lots
of vitamin C is taken, say 2-5 grams.
in fact, the next morning the possible victim should
even wake up feeling better than normal.
several different people have atested to the validity
of what i am writing now.
my question is, after talking to a few medical doctors
we still can't figure out why this is so ?
what's the big deal about ascorbic acid + alcohol ???

dragon

disclaimer:  it doesn't matter what the victim had consumed
	     before.   i.e. even on an empty stomach this works.

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (01/08/86)

++
> i had heard that after consuming lots of alcohol,
> the effects of any hangovers are nullified if lots
> of vitamin C is taken, say 2-5 grams.
> dragon

Pauling's argument about vitamin C and alcoholism went
something like this (forgive me for not remembering all
the chemicals):  Alcohol directly helps some reaction
involving chemical A, but also produces more chemical B
which in turn does more harm to A than the alcohol did
good.  Since there is a time delay in the reactions,
the body "realizes" that alcohol helps A, but can't see
ahead enough to realize the dire consequences, so it
makes the victim crave alcohol, which in turn, makes
the problem worse; hence addiction.  (This argument is
only heuristic, and is not Pauling's argument, but only
the way I remember it.)

Vitamin C apparently steps in and takes the place of
the alcohol in helping reaction A, without producing
the villainous quantities of B, and therefore breaks
the cycle.  It would seem that a user who is not
addicted would also benefit from this sequence.

I'm almost embarrased to post my source but, it was
an interview with Pauling on the "Merv Griffin Show"
sometime in the mid-70's.

-Mark Garrett

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/09/86)

> i had heard that after consuming lots of alcohol,
> the effects of any hangovers are nullified if lots
> of vitamin C is taken, say 2-5 grams.
> dragon

	Hmm, I don't drink anymore, but when I did it never
made any difference to me.  The best way to prevent hangovers
is not to drink.   I read an article recently that said that
GABA is depleted by alcohol, that taking GABA when drinking
makes you more drunk.   Even without alcohol it is a powerful
tranqulizer.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

meister@linus.UUCP (Phillip W. Servita) (01/09/86)

from the drinking + vitamin C discussion:
>Vitamin C apparently steps in and takes the place of
>the alcohol in helping reaction A, without producing
>the villainous quantities of B, and therefore breaks
>the cycle.  It would seem that a user who is not
>addicted would also benefit from this sequence.
>
>I'm almost embarrased to post my source but, it was
>an interview with Pauling on the "Merv Griffin Show"
>sometime in the mid-70's.
>
>-Mark Garrett

Chemical B (produced via the bodies breakdown of ethanol) is
FORMALDEHYDE. Body breaks down the ethanol first, as it is more dangerous
than the formaldehyde in the small concentrations that are encountered.
Formaldehyde concentrations in the bloodstream cause nausea and headache,
which is not realized until the nerve-deadening effects of the alcohol
have worn off.(More precisely, the by-products of the reaction to break down
the formaldehyde cause the nausea and headache). This is how a hangover
works. As a side, the bodies breakdown of formaldehyde is MUCH slower than
ethanol. (explaining why the hangover occurs the morning after, about 5-7
hours after the alcohol was initially broken down.)

For a Free Hangover (ie no beer required) go to your local Intro Bio Class
and sniff the jars of Preserved Dead Frog Parts for a short time. :-)

"they forcibly extracted the word 'but' from his vocabulary,
 and locked him in a room with 10 economists..."

                                         -the venn buddhist

lee@rochester.UUCP (Lee Moore) (01/10/86)

For those of you interested in not having a hang-over, I re-post
for your enjoyment, the following note from Dave Ihnat that
was posted on the net sometime ago.

lee

---------------------------------
From: ignatz@ihuxx.UUCP (Dave Ihnat, Chicago, IL)
Newsgroups: net.misc,net.wines
Subject: Re: Hangover Cure Wanted!
Date: Fri, 3-Feb-84 23:12:32 EST

Ok, you asked for it!   This has been an important topic for me, and I
haven't hesitated to incorporate the best of both personal experience
with the recommendations of the "Masters".  So, following is the
method I use for those really incredible hangovers...the ones where I
wake up under the mattress.  (I own a water bed.)

Now, this isn't just try-and-fail; some of the following was reasoned
from many discussions with nurses and doctors who are fellow imbibers;
the rest, extracted from an excellent text, "The Hangover Handbook",
by David E. Outerbridge (Harmony Books, New York, copyright 1981 by
David E. Outerbridge and Rae Lindsay, ISBN: 0-517-545845 (cloth),
0-517-543567 (paper)). (That ought to convince you that this is real!)
This text confirmed many of my medical speculations, and in addition,
provides detailed medical descriptions of just what you're doing to
yourself when over-indulging in drink; numerous reasons to ignore
the terrible effects you just learned about; anecdotes throughout
history concerning this oldest of pasttimes; and, finally, dozens of
remedies, rated according to their efficicacy.  So, on with...

PROBLEM:  Why do you feel horrible?
ANSWER:	To simplify, you're dehydrated and your blood electrolytes are
shot to hell.  You've loaded yourself with impurities, too--congeners
and aldehydes, which are poisons in their own right.  These have to be
metabolized, requiring protein and oxygen.  Alcohol causes
important elements such as magnesium, potassium, and calcium to be
temporarily unavailable, leading (in part) to tremors.  (How?  Not
here.  Study the books.)  It also washes away vitamins B1, B6, and C.
Alcohol inhibits REM sleep--this is why you can sleep 8 hours, and
still be tired and irritable.  Finally, neurons react to the presence
of a depressant such as alcohol by becoming more sensitive; it takes
time to re-adapt.  Thus, the sensitivity to light, sound, etc.  So, of
all the offered remedies, I've settled on the following; in light of
the foregoing discussion, you should be able to guess the reason for
each component.

1) DRINKING IS AN ART.  Be an artist.  Plan these things; eat a
   *hearty* meal beforehand, high in protein and minerals.  The old
   bit about grease is, surprisingly, not too crazy.  The slower the
   rate of absorption, the better.  Incidentally, vitamin C is a
   chelating agent for numerous congeners, especially aldehyde; so is
   cabbage.  Stoke up before drinking!

2) AVOID THE WORST.  If you have a tendency to drink light liquors,
   indulge it.  The darker the liquor--bourbon, as opposed to
   vodka--the more impurities.  (This is, of course, almost impossible
   to do.)  I don't do this; Jack Daniels' is my bane and my joy.
   Usually in reverse order.

3) GO TO BED:  Here, you may look ahead.  Take a few glasses of water
   to anticipate the dehydration.  Also, take the following witches'
   brew--lay it out before leaving, if you may forget.  If you don't
   do it tonight, then do it when you get up; but your stomach, after
   you've scoured the lining with alcohol, may not love it:

	Vitamins:	A  - 2x normal daily dosage
			B1 - 4x normal daily dosage
			B6 - 4x normal daily dosage
			C  - 500-1000 mg

	Minerals:	Nioxin		- 10-20 mg
			Calcium		- 250 mg
			Magnesium	- 250 mg
			Potassium	- 1 tsp. KCl solution.

3) SLEEP!  If you do enough of this, you may even miss the whole
   thing.  Unfortunately, sometimes we have to get up.  Like for
   work...so we go to:

4) REMEDIAL ACTION:  You already did it, with or without the above
   precautions, and HAVE to get up.  Now is the time to recover:

	-Drink fluids.  Contrary to popular fables, you won't get drunk
	 again, although you may feel light-headed or dizzy; understand
	 that your body has been ABUSED.  In light of the above
	 explanations, preferentially drink fruit juices--vitamins,
	 especially C, and sugar for your depleted metabolism--or even
	 soda pop, if you must.  AVOID diet sodas; while they provide
	 fluid replenishment, that's all.  You need more.  Incidentally, a
	 cold watermelon provides liquid and simple sugars, and the cold
	 feels good both in the mouth and throat.

	-Take a hot shower.  Obviously, this will speed the metabolism,
	 aside from washing that hideous stench of stale smoke and sweat
	 from your trembling body.  Along the same lines, run a mile,
	 workout, or whatever else you tend to lean toward to work
	 your metabolism up to a higher pitch.  You'll feel worse
	 during the workout, but better much sooner.  (I cheat here.
	 I'll take a hot sauna over the workout, but WARNING!  Your
	 body is shaky; it may not be able to take the same
	 sauna-punishment when hungover as when sober, so use
	 caution.)

	-EAT.  No matter how it feels, eat a full meal.  Especially lean
	 toward foods rich in protein, vitamins, and--you guessed--cabbage!

	-SLEEP.  If  you can, go back to sleep.  Otherwise, don't
	 forget to take your vitamins if you forgot them before going
	 to bed.  By this time, you will probably still feel 'not
	 quite right', but you will have purged yourself of most of
	 the foul symptoms.

FINALLY:  Avoid aspirin.  Your headache and body pains and tremors are
a combination of a lot of things, and the aspirin (or Tylenol, or
whatever) will not be able to solve them.  If you need an antacid,
well, maybe...but wait until after eating and drinking some fruit
juices and water.  Finally...the one problem I mentioned above, that I
haven't addressed, is the neuron sensitivity.  Believe it or not, a
small amount of the hair of the dog *will* help.  The single Bloody
Mary will help...have it before eating.

This was longer than I meant it to be, but this *is* a serious
subject.  Believe me, this regimen is easy to follow and will make it
distressingly easy for you to shrug off incredible binges!

			From the tired liver of

				Dave Ihnat
				ihuxx!ignatz

--
TCP/IP:		lee@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{seismo, allegra, decvax, cmcl2, topaz, harvard}!rochester!lee

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (01/12/86)

> > i had heard that after consuming lots of alcohol,
> > the effects of any hangovers are nullified if lots
> > of vitamin C is taken, say 2-5 grams.

Friends who are organic chemists claimed that alcohol does not cause
hangovers but the impurities found with alcohol cause hangovers.
They always drank lab alcohol and never had hangovers.

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/12/86)

> > i had heard that after consuming lots of alcohol,
> > the effects of any hangovers are nullified if lots
> > of vitamin C is taken, say 2-5 grams.
>
> 	Hmm, I don't drink anymore, but when I did it never
> made any difference to me.  The best way to prevent hangovers
> is not to drink.

	I have a book entitled 'The Hangover Handbook' (paperback) and it
details several hundred ways claimed to prevent hangovers.  Of all of them
listed, I prefer W.C. Field's approach:
		"Keep Drinking"

:-), naturally.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (01/13/86)

> Friends who are organic chemists claimed that alcohol does not cause
> hangovers but the impurities found with alcohol cause hangovers.
> They always drank lab alcohol and never had hangovers.

doesn't this belong in net.jokes?  by lab alcohol, you don't mean
methyl alcohol, but grain?  wouldn't that mean if you drank 190
proof grain, you'd be home free?  too bad it's impossible to get
100% pure alcohol!  your organic chemist friends must have a good
sense of humor.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (01/13/86)

In article <2181@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>	I have a book entitled 'The Hangover Handbook' (paperback) and it
>details several hundred ways claimed to prevent hangovers.  Of all of them
>listed, I prefer W.C. Field's approach:
>		"Keep Drinking"

I can testify that that one works, having once stayed drunk  (well,  tipsy)
for most of a week at the Munich Oktoberfest (the follies of my youth ...).

While we're on the subject, a biologist once told me hangover symptoms  are
primarily  caused  by  low  blood  sugar.  Based  on  that  I developed the
following cure which saved me much grief in my drinking days:

Upon waking with that "morning after the night before" feeling drink a  cup
of  sugar with a little coffee in it. (I exaggerate, but you get the idea).
Remember, it's medicine -- it's not supposed to taste good.  This will take
the  worst  edge off in about half an hour and allow you to proceed to step
two.

Step two is designed to keep your blood sugar up at a reasonable level  and
help  balance  your electrolytes.  Go to your favorite fast-food chain (you
probably don't feel much like cooking) and have a _large_  'burger,  _lots_
of  orange juice, and more coffee with sugar.  This should keep you feeling
vaguely human (as opposed to something like last week's  garbage)  and  get
you through to the next meal.  From there you're on your own.

I've also been told that two aspirin before retiring is a good  preventive,
but you have to be sober enough to remember to take them.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405           do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

djl@fisher.UUCP (Dan Levin) (01/13/86)

> Friends who are organic chemists claimed that alcohol does not cause
> hangovers but the impurities found with alcohol cause hangovers.
> They always drank lab alcohol and never had hangovers.

Well, after that extremely enlightening (if somewhat lengthy)
discussion, (not the one above, the other one...) I can but add
a slightly simpler explaination.

There are two problems with drinking, as I have been led to understand.
One is the impurities.  Here, drinking USP ethanol wins big.  Also
tastes great, try it straight from the freezer.  The second problem,
and the more difficult one to solve, is the dehydration.  Especially
of the brain and surrounding tissue.  This leads to headache, as we
all know.  The win here is to drink water on the way to bed, and
every time you wake up during the night.  If you can choke down
the better part of a quart, you will probably be ok the next day.

NB:  There are certainly reactions going on that produce more poisons
than just those already found in the original drink in the form of
impurities.  I know nothing (except what I read in the referenced
article) about what to do with those.

--
			***dan

{allegra,astrovax,princeton}!fisher!djl
The misplaced (That car sure is rusty!) Californian

abh6509@ritcv.UUCP (A. Hudson) (01/13/86)

>Chemical B (produced via the bodies breakdown of ethanol) is
>FORMALDEHYDE. Body breaks down the ethanol first, as it is more dangerous
>than the formaldehyde in the small concentrations that are encountered.
>Formaldehyde concentrations in the bloodstream cause nausea and headache,
>For a Free Hangover (ie no beer required) go to your local Intro Bio Class
>and sniff the jars of Preserved Dead Frog Parts for a short time. :-)
>                                         -the venn buddhist

Your high school chemistry is strongly lacking! Formaldehyde is the
product of partial oxidation of METHANOL and is the cause of blindness
when people drink sterno or other nasty stuff. I heard (but cannot
vouch) that amyl alcohol is the impurity that is responsible for those
hangover affects. If this were true then it would be possible to
distill a brew with minimal impurities. Stolichnaya comes pretty
close to this. Highly recomended but expensive at $17/liter.

A. Hudson

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/15/86)

> I can testify that that one works, having once stayed drunk  (well,  tipsy)
> for most of a week at the Munich Oktoberfest (the follies of my youth ...).
>
> While we're on the subject, a biologist once told me hangover symptoms  are
> primarily  caused  by  low  blood  sugar.  Based  on  that  I developed the
> following cure which saved me much grief in my drinking days:

Actually, most of the hangover symptoms/unpleasantness that I have suffered
seem to be based on dehydration.  Generally, I swig most of a 28 oz bottle
of club soda a while after I've been drinking.

-Ron

To Alchohol Dehydrogenase, Cheers!

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (01/15/86)

In article <1198@princeton.UUCP> jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
>                        ... wouldn't that mean if you drank 190
>proof grain, you'd be home free?  too bad it's impossible to get
>100% pure alcohol!  your organic chemist friends must have a good
>sense of humor.

My bio-chemist neighbor (Ph.D. and former full professor) tells me it's now
possible  to  obtain 100% pure ethanol.  The stuff is difficult to make and
very expensive, but it does exist.  She does _not_ recommend drinking it.

Though not available in all states, Everclear is about 95%  grain  alcohol.
Usefull for making punch for parties, but _warn_ your guests!

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (01/15/86)

> > Friends who are organic chemists claimed that alcohol does not cause
> > hangovers but the impurities found with alcohol cause hangovers.
> > They always drank lab alcohol and never had hangovers.
>
> doesn't this belong in net.jokes?  by lab alcohol, you don't mean
> methyl alcohol, but grain?  wouldn't that mean if you drank 190
> proof grain, you'd be home free?  too bad it's impossible to get
> 100% pure alcohol!  your organic chemist friends must have a good
> sense of humor.

What he meant was they drank the 95% ethanol, not the 100% pure.
After ethanol has been purified to 95% (the other 5% is water),
it is impossible to remove the rest of the water by distillation.
In order to make 100% ethanol, other organic solvents have to be
added and then removed.  The worst offender (from a health standpoint)
is benzene, traces of which remain in even reagent-grade 100%
ethanol (which certainly *is* possible to get--it doesn't stay that
way, though, if left open to absorb water from the air).  Back when
I worked in a p-chem lab, we always drank the 95% stuff, which we
called "vodka mix" (just add water).  We got plenty of hangovers.
We found that they could be made less severe if we also drank lots of
water so as not to get dehydrated.  That royal navy grog will dry
you out in a hurry.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

>>Chemical B (produced via the bodies breakdown of ethanol) is
>>FORMALDEHYDE. Body breaks down the ethanol first, as it is more dangerous
>>than the formaldehyde in the small concentrations that are encountered.
>>Formaldehyde concentrations in the bloodstream cause nausea and headache,
>
> Your high school chemistry is strongly lacking! Formaldehyde is the
> product of partial oxidation of METHANOL and is the cause of blindness
> when people drink sterno or other nasty stuff.

	Right; methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde by the action of the liver
enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase.  Incidently, ethanol is sometimes given as part
of treatment for methanol poisoning because ethanol competes for alcohol
dehydrogenase much better than methanol.

	For the record, ethanol is oxidized and eventually converted to water,
carbon dioxide, and ATP in four stages:

ethanol --> acetaldehyde   [by action of alcohol dehydrogenase]

acetaldehyde --> acetic acid   [by action of aldehyde dehydrogenase]

acetic acid --> acetyl coenzyme A   [by action of acyl coenzyme A synthetase]

acetyl coenzyme A --> ATP + CO2 + H2O   [through citric acid cycle]

> I heard (but cannot vouch) that amyl alcohol is the impurity that is
> responsible for those hangover affects.

	True.  Fusel oil is the name for a mixture of amyl alcohols, acids,
esters and aldehydes found in alcoholic beverages, and is the primarily
impurity responsible for hangovers.
	Another cause for a hangover is cerebral edema, which is caused by
hypoglycemia or other glycogen-related impairment of liver function resulting
from ethanol ingestion.
	This kind of discussion sorta takes the fun out of drinking, don't it?

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (01/16/86)

> by lab alcohol, you don't mean
> methyl alcohol, but grain?  wouldn't that mean if you drank 190
> proof grain, you'd be home free?  too bad it's impossible to get
> 100% pure alcohol!  your organic chemist friends must have a good
> sense of humor.

There are several things around labs that might be called lab alcohol. They
include denatured ethanol which is ethanol with a poison added to it so people
won't drink it. There is also what I believe is called absolute ethanol. This
has had all the water removed from it and is the closest thing to
chemically pure ethanol you're likely to find. Unfortunately the impurities
it does contain are toxic, don't drink this stuff!!!!. Finally there is just
plain ethanol with some percentage of water. This you can drink.
Just be sure you get the right stuff!! Its been a good while since I've
worked in a lab so I may not have gotten this quite right. In a word, the
point is "BEWARE".

                -Steve "Chainsaw" Dunn

phil@isieng.UUCP (Phil Gustafson) (01/16/86)

>Friends who are organic chemists claimed that alcohol does not cause
>hangovers but the impurities found with alcohol cause hangovers.
>They always drank lab alcohol and never had hangovers.

There's an important reservation to this.  Lab alcohol commonly comes in
two purities: 95% and 100%.  The former is ethanol and distilled water.
Its concentration is determined by the relative vapor pressures of the
compounds -- it's the strongest alcohol one can make by distillation.
The 100% (absoulute) alcohol is made by treating the 95% stuff with benzine.
The benzine dissolves in the water (or the other way around) and is separated
mechanically.

Of course, there are trace amounts of very toxic and carcinogenic benzine
left.

If you're going to quaff lab alcohol, use the 95% variety.  And bear in
mind that it's extremely illegal.

	phil

ayers@convexs.UUCP (01/17/86)

>	I have a book entitled 'The Hangover Handbook' (paperback) and it
>details several hundred ways claimed to prevent hangovers.  Of all of them
>listed, I prefer W.C. Field's approach:
>		"Keep Drinking"

What? they didn't put down my famous cure that begins:

"First you take the juice of one quart of brandied peaches..."

(??????)

Bill Dunkenfield

marco@andromeda.UUCP (Louis Marco) (01/17/86)

In article <1198@princeton.UUCP>, jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
> > Friends who are organic chemists claimed that alcohol does not cause
> > hangovers but the impurities found with alcohol cause hangovers.
> > They always drank lab alcohol and never had hangovers.
>
> doesn't this belong in net.jokes?  by lab alcohol, you don't mean
> methyl alcohol, but grain?  wouldn't that mean if you drank 190
> proof grain, you'd be home free?  too bad it's impossible to get
> 100% pure alcohol!  your organic chemist friends must have a good
> sense of humor.
>

> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

   He means "absolute ethanol": ethanol without *any* impurites. You
use it in organic synthesis.

                                         A former chem major.

clarke@utcsri.UUCP (Jim Clarke) (01/17/86)

In article <1320@ihuxn.UUCP> gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>I worked in a p-chem lab, we always drank the 95% stuff, which we
>called "vodka mix" (just add water).  We got plenty of hangovers.
>We found that they could be made less severe if we also drank lots of
>water so as not to get dehydrated.  That royal navy grog will dry
>you out in a hurry.

Actually, I believe (i.e., I remember reading somewhere) that the term
"grog" is an abbreviation for the name "Grogram", and that this Grogram
character was distinguished in this way by the sailors of the RN because
he figured out that you could save money by watering down the rum you
handed out.  So, if I'm right, the last sentence quoted above is exactly
backwards!  And if the discussion so far in this group is right, Grogram
was in fact a noble benefactor of the poor tars.

--

Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

In article <1198@princeton.UUCP>, jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) writes:
>> Friends who are organic chemists claimed that alcohol does not cause
>> hangovers but the impurities found with alcohol cause hangovers.
>> They always drank lab alcohol and never had hangovers.
>
>doesn't this belong in net.jokes?  by lab alcohol, you don't mean
>methyl alcohol, but grain?  wouldn't that mean if you drank 190
>proof grain, you'd be home free?  too bad it's impossible to get
>100% pure alcohol!  your organic chemist friends must have a good
>sense of humor.

C'mon, is it REALLY impossible to get chemically pure ethanol?  I have heard
that it can't be had from distillation of a mix of it and water, at least not
in "ordinary" equipment, but couldn't it be chemically synthesized "dry"
(chemists?).
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

> > > Friends who are organic chemists claimed that alcohol does not cause
> > > hangovers but the impurities found with alcohol cause hangovers.
> > > They always drank lab alcohol and never had hangovers.
> >
> > doesn't this belong in net.jokes?  by lab alcohol, you don't mean
> > methyl alcohol, but grain?  wouldn't that mean if you drank 190
> > proof grain, you'd be home free?  too bad it's impossible to get
> > 100% pure alcohol!  your organic chemist friends must have a good
> > sense of humor.
>
>    He means "absolute ethanol": ethanol without *any* impurites. You
> use it in organic synthesis.

	Pure ethanol - with no denaturants - is a rare commodity for lab
use, and is a restricted sale item.  All other ethanol for lab use has one
or more of the following denaturants: ethyl acetate, methy iso-butyl ketone,
iso-propyl alcohol, propanol, and gasoline.
	Ethanol with the following labels contains only 95% ethanol and is
STILL DENATURED:

	Ethanol, Anhydrous
	Ethanol, Absolute
	Ethanol, 95%
	Ethyl Alcohol, Anhydrous
	Ethyl Alcohol, Absolute
	Ethyl Alcohol, 95%
	Reagent Alcohol, Anhydrous
	Reagent Alcohol, Absolute
	Reagent Alcohol, 95%

	If you read the bottle and/or the manufacturer's (like J. T. Baker,
Mallinckrodt, MCB, etc.) data sheets, you will discover the true composition.
	The moral of the above is: don't drink ANY laboratory alcohol under
ANY circumstances!

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (01/20/86)

++
> doesn't this belong in net.jokes?  by lab alcohol, you don't mean
> methyl alcohol, but grain?  wouldn't that mean if you drank 190
> proof grain, you'd be home free?  too bad it's impossible to get
> 100% pure alcohol!	(Jong Lee)

Surely lab-quality ethanol can be purified to better than 95%!!
-Mark

ron@brl-smoke.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/21/86)

> 	For the record, ethanol is oxidized and eventually converted to water,
> carbon dioxide, and ATP in four stages:

You give the impression that water is not consumed, but the first two
steps you list consume water.

> C'mon, is it REALLY impossible to get chemically pure ethanol?  I have heard
> that it can't be had from distillation of a mix of it and water, at least not
> in "ordinary" equipment, but couldn't it be chemically synthesized "dry"
> (chemists?).

	It's not impossible to get 100% (200 proof) ethanol which is reasonably
pure - it's just difficult.  Pure 100% ethanol is VERY hygroscopic, and will
absorb water wapor from the atmosphere.  If you leave it thus exposed to the
air, you will eventually have 95% ethanol.
	Further complications result from the fact that when ethanol is mixed
with water and boiled (as in distillation), an azeotropic mixture is formed
at a concentration of 95% ethanol.  This means that continued distillation
will NOT result in ethanol concentrations greater than 95%.
	In order to remove the water, something must be mixed with the ethanol
which will displace the water.  The problem then becomes one of separating this
new substance from the ethanol.  This new substance may then leave impurities
in the ethanol.  Then you have to remove these new impurities.  And then if
you are bound and determined to have 100% ethanol, these procedures have to
be conducted in an atmosphere inert of water wapor.  Ain't easy.
	Actually, there are very few laboratory procedures and syntheses where
95% alcohol and 5% some_other_alcohol_which_displaces_water is unsatisfactory,
so there is no big demand for 100% pure ethanol - except for people bent upon
drinking it :-).

ccb@decvax.UUCP (Charles C. Bennett) (01/24/86)

>If you're going to quaff lab alcohol, use the 95% variety.  And bear in
>mind that it's extremely illegal.
>
>	phil

Illegality depending on localle.  I found some 190 proof "clear spring" in
a liquor store in Philadelphia last July. Be Advised: this stuff is
FLAMMABLE.

ccb

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (01/24/86)

If it is indeed the case that impurities in alcoholic beverages are
causally involved in hangovers, then one would expect that aged and
filtered liquor would be gentler than "raw" stuff.  In particular, one
would expect a charcoal-filtered, aged whiskey to be gentler than
gin.

I understand that in the process of dehydration, caused by the rise
in the body's alcohol level, the concentrations of various vitamins
are leeched away.  I seem to remember reading -- in that Bible of
scientific respectability: _Life_Extensions_, -- it is a good idea to
take B vitamins after drinking.  Has anyone tried this as a hangover
preventative?

phil@isieng.UUCP (Phil Gustafson) (01/25/86)

In article <170@decvax.UUCP> ccb@decvax.UUCP (Charles C. Bennett) writes:
>>If you're going to quaff lab alcohol, use the 95% variety.  And bear in
>>mind that it's extremely illegal.
>>	phil
I said the above and see it can be misconstrued.  I said in the sense
that I'd say "If you're going to shoot heroin, use a clean needle."

>Illegality depending on localle.  I found some 190 proof "clear spring" in
>a liquor store in Philadelphia last July. Be Advised: this stuff is
>FLAMMABLE.
>ccb

Three things:

In some states, 190 proof (95%) booze is legal.  The most common brand
is 'Everclear.'  As with most cheap (per unit alcohol) booze, most of the
cost is Federal excise tax.

Now, undenatured ethanol is vigorously controlled, mostly to make sure the
Feds get their cut.  Except for universities, who can and do get it
by the barrel.  It IS illegal (and stupid) to drink this.  A certain
amount, however, does somehow find the livers of students, professors, and
their cronies.  I can't deny having sipped some in my foolish youth.

Why stupid?  Because if you read the label wrong, or the freshman lab assistant
with the Twisted Sister t-shirt has filled the right little bottle from the
wrong big bottle, you go blind and die.  It's *much* brighter to go to the
liquor store and buy cheap vodka.  At least you know what you're getting
and know what the risks of using it are.

	phil

My opinions only.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (01/28/86)

In article <2723@sjuvax.UUCP> tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) writes:

>If it is indeed the case that impurities in alcoholic beverages are
>causally involved in hangovers, then one would expect that aged and
>filtered liquor would be gentler than "raw" stuff.  In particular, one
>would expect a charcoal-filtered, aged whiskey to be gentler than
>gin.

I remember reading somewhere that the  more  expensive  whiskeys  are  less
harmful  to  the system and cause milder hangovers than the cheap stuff.  I
wouldn't expect the difference to be a great one.

Note:   Before you run to stock up on 40 year old  irish  whiskey  at  some
        outrageous  price, keep in mind that whiskey doesn't improve beyond
        12 years in the barrel and doesn't improve in the  bottle  at  all.
	If you buy any over 12 years old you're paying for hype.