[net.med] Shameful Statistics

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/28/86)

	Worldwide, there is one soldier for every 28 people.  There is only
one doctor for every 1050. Put another way, there are almost 40 times as many
soldiers in this world as doctors.

	Item: Last week, during a routine training exercise two F-16 fighters
collided in mid-air. In addition to the loss of two pilots, both planes were
destroyed.  The replacement cost of those two planes was equal to the entire
1985 budget for AIDS research (approximately $140,000,000).
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (01/29/86)

In article <2222@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>				Craig Werner
>				!philabs!aecom!werner
>                     "The end. 94. 95. The very, very, very end."

I give up.  I see this quote occassionaly and I don't know what it means.
Have I lived my life sheltered?  Is there some underground sicko-comedy
that I have missed?  HORRORS!  And I thought I was a compleat pervert.
Please, Craig, from whence comes this line?

--Kne

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (01/30/86)

In article <2222@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>	Worldwide, there is one soldier for every 28 people.  There is only
>one doctor for every 1050. Put another way, there are almost 40 times as many
>soldiers in this world as doctors.

I appreciate your sentiment, but let's keep some perspective.  It's  a  lot
easier  and  cheaper  to  make a soldier than a doctor.  Also, the level of
intelligence required to be a doctor is found in a much smaller  percentage
of the population than that required for a soldier.

I suspect the figures even out considerably if you compare dollar costs  or
times  required  for  training  soldiers  and  doctors. (You could even try
summing IQ's (-: ).

A more relevant question is:  Can one doctor adequately serve 1,050 people?
My  understanding  is  there's currently a surplus of doctors in the United
States.  It's the uneven distribution that causes problems.

>	Item: Last week, during a routine training exercise two F-16 fighters
>collided in mid-air. In addition to the loss of two pilots, both planes were
>destroyed.  The replacement cost of those two planes was equal to the entire
>1985 budget for AIDS research (approximately $140,000,000).

Again, the wrong question is implied.  More relevant:  Would spending  more
than  $140 million dollars annually significantly speed up the finding of a
cure for AIDS?  I'd cheerfully trade a couple of F-16's  for  a  cure,  but
it's not at all clear that such a tradeoff exists.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.     Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405   do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

omo@mcnc.UUCP (01/30/86)

> 	Worldwide, there is one soldier for every 28 people.  There is only
> one doctor for every 1050. Put another way, there are almost 40 times as many
> soldiers in this world as doctors.

According to the ed psych text I read in college, the *average* IQ of
the WWI soldier was something like 82.  Better they be soldiers than
doctors, no?

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (01/31/86)

> Again, the wrong question is implied.  More relevant:  Would spending  more
> than  $140 million dollars annually significantly speed up the finding of a
> cure for AIDS?  I'd cheerfully trade a couple of F-16's  for  a  cure,  but
> it's not at all clear that such a tradeoff exists.

	No, $140M in a year probably wouldn't cure AIDS, but one tenth of that
could vaccinate every child in America fully, which would probably save just
as many lives.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (02/03/86)

>> 	Worldwide, there is one soldier for every 28 people.  There is only
>> one doctor for every 1050. Put another way, there are almost 40 times as many
>> soldiers in this world as doctors.
>
> According to the ed psych text I read in college, the *average* IQ of
> the WWI soldier was something like 82.  Better they be soldiers than
> doctors, no?

	Is it just me, or is it only that people who are missing the point
are following up. (Hmm, what is the average IQ of a Usenet poster :-) )
	I'm not saying that there should be one doctor for every 28 people,
but isn't one soldier for every 28 people too much. Is there not a better
use of human resources than war, which consumes so much, and produces so
little.
	Another statistic I like to quote is that the national debt is $2
Trillion.  The value of the missiles we have buried is $2.5 Trillion.  We
don't have a national debt.  That is the national investment, but unfortunately
it's resale value is worthless.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/03/86)

In article <2222@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>	Item: Last week, during a routine training exercise two F-16 fighters
>collided in mid-air. In addition to the loss of two pilots, both planes were
>destroyed.  The replacement cost of those two planes was equal to the entire
>1985 budget for AIDS research (approximately $140,000,000).

Not to say that Craig's sentiment is incorrect, but the figures I have
seen for the cost of an F-16 are quite different. According to "The
Arsenal of Democracy", we have paid the following prices for F-16s:

1979	145 @ $ 9.482 M
1980	175 @ $ 9.465 M
1981	120 @ $14.088 M
1982	120 @ $17.608 M
1983	120 @ $18.704 M
1984	144 @ $17.717 M
1985	150 @ $24.900 M

Two F-16s shouldn't be more than $50 to $70 M in 1986.

Some of the prices we have charged other
countries for F-16s include:

Iran
	160 @ $14.844 M, 1978, including a contribution to F-16 R&D costs
Israel
	75  @ $15.453 M, 1978
	55  @ $23.575 M, 1979
Netherlands
	30  @ $ 7.199 M, 1980
Pakistan
	15  @ $14.5   M, 1981
South Korea
	80  @ $ 7.760 M, 1981
Venezuela
	24  @ $14.5   M, 1981
--
 If you are seen fixing something, you will be asked to fix it
 every time it breaks from then on.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (02/10/86)

In article <2237@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>>> 	Worldwide, there is one soldier for every 28 people.  There is only
>>> one doctor for every 1050. Put another way, there are almost 40 times as many
>>> soldiers in this world as doctors.
>>
>> According to the ed psych text I read in college, the *average* IQ of
>> the WWI soldier was something like 82.  Better they be soldiers than
>> doctors, no?
>
>	Is it just me, or is it only that people who are missing the point
>are following up. (Hmm, what is the average IQ of a Usenet poster :-) )
>	I'm not saying that there should be one doctor for every 28 people,
>but isn't one soldier for every 28 people too much. Is there not a better
>use of human resources than war, which consumes so much, and produces so
>little.
>	Another statistic I like to quote is that the national debt is $2
>Trillion.  The value of the missiles we have buried is $2.5 Trillion.  We
>don't have a national debt.  That is the national investment, but unfortunately
>it's resale value is worthless.

I think its clear that you are quite right. It seems to me that
the difficult questions center around "Why are there so many soldiers",
"Why so few doctors", and "What do we do about it?".

I have my own personal scheme for reorganizng the world which I
am trying to implement ...