[net.med] Cold Hands

bloomber@noscvax.UUCP (Michael N. Bloomberg) (02/05/86)

   Most of the time my hands are significantly colder than the
rest of me. I would like to know what can cause such a condition??
I don't think that climate plays much of a factor since I had
cold hands when I lived in New York and cold hands living in
San Diego.. In summertime, my hands will be less cold but still
significantly colder than the rest of me.

  My feet also gets colder. If I go to sleep without socks on, I'll
have a shallower and more disturbed nights sleep.

  Any ideas?? This condition is more of an annoyance than anything
else.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

--

Real Life: Michael Bloomberg
   MILNET: bloomber@nosc

jca@drutx.UUCP (ArnsonJC) (02/06/86)

	I have the same problem and have been told it is due to poor
circulation. Even when I am exercising quite hard and quite warm, my hands
will be like ice (during the colder months of the year).
--
	jill c. arnson
	ihnp4!drutx!jca

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (02/08/86)

I have the cold hands problem too.  Went to my Dr. and he
prescribed Papaverine.  I am told by a pharmacist friend that
Niacin is also helpful.
--
                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/09/86)

In article <224@dcdwest.UUCP> benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) writes:
>I have the cold hands problem too.  Went to my Dr. and he
>prescribed Papaverine.  I am told by a pharmacist friend that
>Niacin is also helpful.

Although I normally have quite warm hands and feet, if I get them around
very cold things (ice water, snow, etc.) they cause me great pain.  This
has been traced to a circulatory problem, as someone has already mentioned,
and the name for it is Reynoud's (pronounced ray-no) Syndrome; probably from
the French doctor who decided to name it.

The best technique I have heard for treating this is simple if you can find
it:  biofeedback.  You simply teach yourself how to increase the circulation
in your extremeties.  I have taught myself this on my own with a good bit
of success.  The easiest way to do it is to first learn how to control your
heartrate, since you don't need fancy instruments for the feedback.  Once you
have some biofeedback experience under your belt, work on the circulation
problem.

It is really not nearly as hard or outlandish as it sounds -- give it a shot,
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (02/11/86)

> Although I normally have quite warm hands and feet, if I get them around
> very cold things (ice water, snow, etc.) they cause me great pain.  This
> has been traced to a circulatory problem, as someone has already mentioned,
> and the name for it is Reynoud's (pronounced ray-no) Syndrome; probably from
> the French doctor who decided to name it.
>
> The best technique I have heard for treating this is simple if you can find
> it:  biofeedback.  You simply teach yourself how to increase the circulation
> in your extremeties.  I have taught myself this on my own with a good bit
> of success.  The easiest way to do it is to first learn how to control your
> heartrate, since you don't need fancy instruments for the feedback.  Once you
> have some biofeedback experience under your belt, work on the circulation
> problem.

Actually the way to increase circulation to the extremities with bio-
feedback is to try to cause them to warm up. Increases in tempature
will be a result of (I think) dilation of blood vessels. Anyway you
don't exactly need hi-tech equipment to do tempature biofeedback - you
need only a thermometer that will read between 75-80 degrees and 98.6.
hold this between 2 fingers and try and raise the temp. It may be helpfull
to imagine plunging your hands into warm sand, warming them in front of a
fire etc.
  You probably want to work on you feet also. For this a device that emits
a tone which varies with tempature is useful. They are availible at a modest
cost from Edmund Scientific co.
  Also for a thermometer a good solution is a liquid crystal strip that
wraps around your finger and changes color with changing temp. They are
$5-10. I've seen'em at health food stores. Don't know about drug stores
but its worth checking.

            -Steve "Brain? Sorry, wrong planet" Dunn