[net.med] Milk is not for every body.

tna@tikal.UUCP (Tom Anderson) (01/28/86)

>Along the same lines, is the (apparently) bugus importance of dairy
>products just a bunch of simplistic propaganda promulgated by the
>dairy industry?

Mostly, yes.

I  am  lactose  intolerant  and,   thus,  avoid all milk products.
Milk  is  a  good  source  of calcium,  but certainly not the only
good  source.  A cup of dry garbanzos,  for example,  has the same
calcium  content as does milk.  Here are the calcium contents of a
few good sources:

Food		Qty		milligrams of Calcium
Milk		8 oz		300
collards	1 c.		220
black beans	1 c.		270
beet greens	1 c.		119
broccoli	1 c.		136
carrots		1 c.		51
chard		1 c.		106
Garbanzos	1 c.		300
green beans	1 c.		62
kale		1 c.		206
navy beans	1 c.		95
pinto beans	1 c.		257

I figure my calcium intake something like this:

Multivitamin supplement		250 mg
bread (25 mg/slice)		150
other grains or cereals (e.g
 multigrain breakfast cereal,
 rice, potatoes, etc).		150
vegies, beans, nuts		150
---------------------------------------
Total				700

Which  comes out close to the the 800 mg RDA (most days I probably
come up a little shy,  but I haven't broken any bones yet :-)  ).

As  for  the  Chinese,   they  employ  various seafood and seaweed
items  that  are  high in calcium (kelp has 156 mg per tablespoon,
many times greater concentration than milk).

All    calcium    content    figures    are    taken    from   the
_Nutrition_Almanac_  by John D.  Kirschmann.

--
Thomas N. Anderson      ...uw-beaver!tikal!tna
Teltone Corporation, 10801 120th Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98033 (206) 827-9626

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (02/08/86)

> I  am  lactose  intolerant  and,   thus,  avoid all milk products.

In my lamaze class the importance of calcium was discussed,
along with various sources for it. Interestingly (and I think
unusually), almost all of us pregnant women in the class dislike milk.

Dark leafy vegetables (spinich, collard greens, turnip
greens, mustard greens, etc.) are high in calcium, as are the
items listed in the above article. One thing mentioned by the
instructor was that yogurt can often be consumed by those who
are lactose intolerant without a reaction, because the lactose is
broken down into two simpler products. Yogurt has the same calcium
content as milk.
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze

glenm@athena.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) (02/19/86)

> > I  am  lactose  intolerant  and,   thus,  avoid all milk products.
>
> In my lamaze class the importance of calcium was discussed,
> along with various sources for it. Interestingly (and I think
> unusually), almost all of us pregnant women in the class dislike milk.
>
> Dark leafy vegetables (spinich, collard greens, turnip
> greens, mustard greens, etc.) are high in calcium, as are the
> items listed in the above article.
> --
> Suzanne Barnett-Scott

Many of the vegetables mentioned are high in oxalic acid, which
is supposed to bind with various minerals, making them unavailable
for absorption.  Minerals often mentioned are magnesium and iron, but
I have gotten the idea that calcium absorption in the presence of
oxalic acid may also be a problem.  Is there anything to this?

I would also like to know the effect of phytic acid (found in grains)
which is supposed to cause the same problem.

	Glen McCluskey
	..tektronix!athena!glenm

avinash@ubvax.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) (02/22/86)

In article <851@athena.UUCP> glenm@athena.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:
>> Dark leafy vegetables (spinich, collard greens, turnip
>> greens, mustard greens, etc.) are high in calcium, as are the
>> items listed in the above article.
>> --
>> Suzanne Barnett-Scott
>
>Many of the vegetables mentioned are high in oxalic acid, which
>is supposed to bind with various minerals, making them unavailable
>for absorption.  Minerals often mentioned are magnesium and iron, but
>I have gotten the idea that calcium absorption in the presence of
>oxalic acid may also be a problem.  Is there anything to this?
>
>I would also like to know the effect of phytic acid (found in grains)
>which is supposed to cause the same problem.
>
>	Glen McCluskey
>	..tektronix!athena!glenm

Green leafy vegetables high in oxalic acid are spinach and swiss chard.
Tomatoes are also high in oxalic acid.  And these vegetables do cause the
problem mentioned above.  However, this is not a problem with collard
greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, bok choy, carrot greens, etc.
I've heard that chocolate and cashew nuts also contain oxalic acid.  Any-
one have more info on these?

I've heard that the problem with phytic acid is not as bad as was originally
thought.  Please refer to "The McDougall Plan" for more info on this
subject and for further references.