[net.med] article i posted that died

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (02/25/86)

I just found out that for the past month or so, all news articles
posted from polaris have been trashed so none of these (maybe)
made it out into the world.  bear with me if these are repitions.

Herb...

==================

Subject: Re: Shameful Statistics

In article <1130@mcnc.mcnc.UUCP> omo@mcnc.UUCP writes:
>> 	Worldwide, there is one soldier for every 28 people.  There is only
>> one doctor for every 1050. Put another way, there are almost 40 times as many
>> soldiers in this world as doctors.
>
>According to the ed psych text I read in college, the *average* IQ of
>the WWI soldier was something like 82.  Better they be soldiers than
>doctors, no?

According to the War Atlas published by Pluto Press who base their
figures on WHO and other reports from various military publications
indicate that the world average for ratio of military personnel to
medical personnel is about 2.3 to 1.  the high is Ethiopia with 122 to
1 and the low is Canada (here's where i wave my flag a little) with 1
to 2.8.  the US is somewhere just under 2.0 to 1 (they don't show the
exact figure for the US but lump it in the group between 1 to 1 and 2
to 1.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa, herbie%yktvmh.bitnet@wiscvm
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.