[net.med] FOOT CRAMPS

epic@houem.UUCP (SJS) (02/21/86)

Does anyone know what causes muscle cramps?  I frequently get
muscle cramps in my feet (my toes get all kinked up and won't
spread apart), even when I'm just lying around relaxing or watching TV.
Does this happen to anyone else?
Does it have anything to do with a vitamin deficiency?

djb@riccb.UUCP (Dave J. Burris ) (02/22/86)

> Does anyone know what causes muscle cramps?  I frequently get
> muscle cramps in my feet (my toes get all kinked up and won't
> spread apart), even when I'm just lying around relaxing or watching TV.
> Does this happen to anyone else?
> Does it have anything to do with a vitamin deficiency?

You could have a potassium deficiency, especially if you consume a lot
of sodium.

--
Dave Burris
..!ihnp4!ihopa!riccb!djb

tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) (02/24/86)

Foot cramps can be caused by alot of things.  I can only tell you what I know.
I teach childbirth classes and most pregnat women get foot cramps from lack
of calcium and poor circulation.  One of the things I tell the mothers-to-be
to do (and I don't see why these things wouldn't help non-pregnant people)
is to try calcium supplements (check with your doctor first).  They are easy
to get in any drugstore or shop-rite.

Poor circulation:  Walk.  Increases circulation.  Also, tailor sitting (sitting
indian style) usually on a hard surface.  Also helps increase circulation.

If you get a foot cramp, stand up on the offending foot.  Make sure foot is
placed completely flat on floor.  It takes a few seconds for it to go away
but at least you do not have to suffer.  Also, someone else can point your
toe toward your head.  It's hard to describe over the net.

kasey@trsvax (02/26/86)

>> Does anyone know what causes muscle cramps?  I frequently get
>> muscle cramps in my feet (my toes get all kinked up and won't
>> spread apart), even when I'm just lying around relaxing or watching TV.
>> Does this happen to anyone else?
>> Does it have anything to do with a vitamin deficiency?

>You could have a potassium deficiency, especially if you consume a lot
>of sodium.

Megadoses of vitamin C and the use of diuretics can also lead to potassium
deficiency.

I was hospitalized once for surgery.  Before the surgery I had horrible leg
and foot cramps every night.  Sometimes they were so bad that I had to walk
for 30 minutes to get rid of them.  Since I was in already in the hospital, my
doctor decided to run blood tests to see if I had some deficiency that was
causing my cramps.  I had a potassium and calcium deficiency.  I've been taking
supplements of both ever since.  The only time I get cramps is if I miss the
supplements for a day or two.  I'm convinced!

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (02/26/86)

In article <464@houem.UUCP> epic@houem.UUCP (SJS) writes:
>Does anyone know what causes muscle cramps?  I frequently get
>muscle cramps in my feet (my toes get all kinked up and won't
>spread apart), even when I'm just lying around relaxing or watching TV.
>Does this happen to anyone else?
>Does it have anything to do with a vitamin deficiency?

I used to get hand cramps  similar  to  what  you  describe.  I  eventually
traced  them  to  a  sodium  deficiency.  Adding  a  little salt to my food
cleared them up immediately.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.     Geniuses are people so lazy they
Santa Monica, CA  90405   do everything right the first time.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

djb@riccb.UUCP (Dave J. Burris ) (03/04/86)

> I used to get hand cramps  similar  to  what  you  describe.  I  eventually
> traced  them  to  a  sodium  deficiency.  Adding  a  little salt to my food
> cleared them up immediately.

The problem here is that there must be a balance of sodium and potassium.
There seem to be a few enlightened individuals in this group who may be able
to provide more details.