[net.med] exercise

tino@hou2f.UUCP (A.TINO) (03/14/86)

In article <213@ttidcc.UUCP> Jerry Hollombe responds:
>Multiply watts by 9.481 * 10^-4 to obtain BTU/second.
>Multiply BTU by 2.520 * 10^-1 to obtain kg calories.

>Source: Pratt & Whitney Aeronautical Vest-Pocket Handbook

I think the point is: How many calories of food must be consumed
to maintain a given energy output, not how to convert from watt-minutes
to calories. The hard part is estimating the body's efficiency in
converting food-energy into useful mechanical energy. Any guesses?
_______
Al Tino
..!hou2f!tino

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (03/18/86)

 I've read a lot about excercises to LOSE weight, but what if you want to excer-
cise not to lose weight but simply to stay in shape.  What if, for example, you
are already underweight and simply cannot afford to lose an ounce, but want to
stay in shape.  My questions:  Does anyone know of excercises aimed at simply
staying fit with out weight loss, and, what diet and supplements could be
employed to actually increase one's weight in spite of rigorous excercises?
Also, does anyone know of a particularly good excercise (besides jogging) that
would be good for leg muscles.  I have bad knees, so the excercise cannot be of
a very trumatic nature.  In short, I want to PUT on fat as well as increase my
muscle mass.

 I recently purchased a rowing machine, the kind with shock absorbers, and
the ability to excercise in a half dozen different postures, i.e. rowing, curls,
bench presses, etc.  Any feedback from experienced 'rowers' would be grateful.

ray