[net.med] a vitamin called Acidophilus

jmr@philabs.UUCP (Joanne Renza Mannarino) (03/12/86)

Someone recently told me about a vitamin called Acidophilus which is supposed
to be better at clearing up acne than any antibiotics that the dermatologists
prescribe.  It is supposedly made with a "yogurt culture base" and the daily
dosage is 2 100mg tablets.

Anyone heard anything about this?

						thanks in advance,
						 Joanne Mannarino

						    philabs!jmr

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (03/13/86)

In article <620@philabs.UUCP>, jmr@philabs.UUCP (Joanne Renza Mannarino) writes:

> Someone recently told me about a vitamin called Acidophilus which is supposed
> to be better at clearing up acne than any antibiotics that the dermatologists
> prescribe.  It is supposedly made with a "yogurt culture base" and the daily
> dosage is 2 100mg tablets.

Coupla points:

1.) These pills aren't "vitamins", because they don't contain any substances
    which satisfy the criteria for vitamins.  "Dietary supplement" would be a
    better word.

2.) Lactobacillus acidophilus is one of the bacteria which convert milk to
    yogurt, and most yogurts have active cultures still present when you
    purchase them.  Species of lactobacilli are also part of the normal
    intestinal flora.

3.) If you ingest live lactobacilli, they either are killed by your stomach
    acid, or survive to become part of your normal flora.  But, they stay in
    your gut.  They do not travel elsewhere (like to your skin surface.)

4.) Acne is a condition of the sebacious glands associated with infection by
    Propionibacterium acnes.  Lactobacilli are not normal flora on the skin,
    and if you gave yourself a mudpack of yogurt, the lactobacilli probably
    wouldn't last very long, and would have no effect on the P. acnes
    population.

So, it's hard to imagine acidophilus tablets yaken orally having any salutary
effect on acne.  What's more, with the popularity of yogurt these days,
especially among the acne-prone teenagers, you'd think that this discovery
would have been made a long time ago, and without the necessity to purchase
expensive dietary supplements.

REALLY severe acne can now be treated orally with a compound called
isotretinoin, a retinoid.  It has a lot of side-effects, and requires a
doctor's supervision.  But for those people whose present condition outweighs
the potential side-effects, it's a miracle drug.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

wts@burl.UUCP (wts) (03/14/86)

In article <620@philabs.UUCP> jmr@philabs.UUCP (Joanne Renza Mannarino) writes:

>Someone recently told me about a vitamin called Acidophilus which is supposed
>to be better at clearing up acne than any antibiotics that the dermatologists
>prescribe.  It is supposedly made with a "yogurt culture base" and the daily
>dosage is 2 100mg tablets.
>
>Anyone heard anything about this?
>

>						thanks in advance,
>						 Joanne Mannarino
>
>						    philabs!jmr

If my memory serves me correctly, Acidophilus is a bacillus, not a vitamin.
The pioneering work on introducing the Acidophilus bacillus into milk was
done by NC State University Food Science Department.  One of the first
dairies to market the product was Pine State Creamery of Raleigh, NC,
as Sweet Acidophilus Milk. The thrust was that the acidophilus bacilli is
naturally found in the GI tract, but modern eating habits have reduced
or destroyed this beneficial creature in our gut. By drinking the milk,
some balance was supposedly restored to the flora and fauna of the GI
tract (aid to digestion?). Effect on acne I can't say.

As a student at State at the time, I remember an incident in which a co-ed
tried to by a pint of the milk at a dorm snack bar. She started to ask
for a pint of "Sweet Acidolph... uh ... Sweet Acedoh... uh .. Acadop...
uh... Sh*t, lemme have a pint of that new sweet ass milk!" A round of
chuckles all around.

					William T. Sykes
					AT&T Federal Systems
					Burlington, NC 27215
     ...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!wts

uribe@muddcs.UUCP (Lydia Uribe) (03/17/86)

In article <620@philabs.UUCP> jmr@philabs.UUCP (Joanne Renza Mannarino) writes:

>Someone recently told me about a vitamin called Acidophilus which is supposed
>to be better at clearing up acne than any antibiotics that the dermatologists
>prescribe.  It is supposedly made with a "yogurt culture base" and the daily
>dosage is 2 100mg tablets.
>
>Anyone heard anything about this?

Lactobacillus acidophilus is a bacterium, not a vitamin.  It is the same
bacterium that you find in yogurt cultures.  I know of no reason why it would
have any effect whatsoever in the treatment of acne.

(For the record, I am a pharmacist.)

--
                                       Lydia Uribe
                                       Claremont, CA

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (03/18/86)

I believe that the relationship between acidophilus and acne may be
along the same lines as that which I have seen recommending it as a
preventative for cold sores and suchlike. The idea is that the cold
sore, and, I suppose, the acne, is a symptom or manifestation of an
imbalance in your intestinal flora, which causes various effects, the
susceptibility to such dermatological defects being among them.

Drinking buttermilk is also recommended for restoring the proper balance
of the intestinal microorganisms. Since I like buttermilk anyway, I try
to drink some fairly often, and always drink it when I get a cold sore
or the incipient beginnings of one. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.

I took acidophilus capsules for a while, but noticed no particular
effects. Since you can get this sort of thing realy cheap from sales and
specials advertised in Prevention or in mail-order vitamin dealer
flyers, it can be experimented with with little investment. Or just
buy buttermilk instead of regular milk at lunch; it's usually the same
price, if you eat at a place that has it.

This may all be nonsense, or it may be a "higher truth". The trick is
to not sink much money in it either way...

Will