[net.med] What do you go to chiropractors for?

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (03/16/86)

A number of people have provided testimonials for the efficacy of their
chiropractors, and I'd like to ask them what conditions they have which
are being treated successfully by chiropractic, and what treatments are
employed.

I feel most comfortable with a traditional medical approach, because it's
grounded in the scientific method.  That is, the underlying philosophy
seems sound to me, although any individual practitioner will undoubtedly
fall short in one way or another--hopefully in some unimportant way!
Although I try to keep my steel-trap mind open, I really *am* suspicious
of practitioners of a treatment philosophy invented by a farmer from Iowa
which indicates that vertebral "subluxation" is the cause of all ill health.
And, for those chiropractors who disavow such an approach, it's unclear to
me what they replace it with.

I'm not trying to get into another yin/yang argument between traditional
and non-traditional healing professions.  Rather, I would really like to
hear from people who have had success from chiropractic.  Please tell us
what your problems were, how they were helped, and what the chiropractor
did.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/18/86)

"grounded in the scientific approach"...   like bleeding patients, the
use of leeches, the complete failure of the medical profession to recognize
PMS and other female health problems due to a male-oriented philosophical
base?  *HAH*

   T.J. Palmer was an ignorant, but observant individual.  He lacked the
training necessary to truly understand and explain the results he got.
Fortunately for the world, Chiropractic schools no longer teach the Palmer
Philosophy.

   No competent chiropractor that I am aware of claims that chiropractic
can or will cure *ANYTHING*, much less everything.  That bogus claim is
a direct result of the AMA deliberately using out-dated chiropractic
materials (from Palmer's time) in their smear campaigns.  Recall that
the AMA is the same group that opposed the licensing of, among others,
physchologists, dentists, podiatrists.  The AMA has lost any number of
law suits brought against it by the Chiropractors.  Many insurance
companies (including quite a few state Worker's Compensation carriers)
actually prefer chiropractic treatment for patients with back injuries
(after screening by an orthopedist for breakage or other orthopedic
damage).  They achieve better results, faster, and for less money.
As I said in an earlier posting, compare the annual premiums paid by
MDs and DCs for malpractive insurance...this tells you something.

   IN late 1981, I suffered a severe compressive injury to my spine.  I
went to hospitals, and doctors galore.  Most of them did nothing, claiming
there was nothing wrong, and all that pain was "in my imagination"  Cute.
I am *SO* glad that they took those AMA required courses in mind reading.
In any case, none of them were able to provide me with *ANY* relief.
After a few years of crippling chronic pain, and massive muscular spasms,
I reluctantly went to a chiropractor.  After 2-3 sessions, my level of
pain was down considerably, the muscle spasms, while still resent, were
not as bad, and I was somewhat more functional.  I also wasn't being doped
out of my mind on muscle relaxers and pain killers.  (as a minor side
issue, I had no money or insurance at the time.  This chiropractor was
treating a friend, who had talked to him about me.  He insisted that I come
in for treatment.  He said that I would surely have more money someday,
but that treatment was essential.  He waited 3 years for that money, treatig
me the whole time.  Never complained about the money.  How many MDs would
do that?)

   Most chiropractors are honest, well trained healers, practicing a method
that is proven to provide relief, and is *SOME* cases has produced what
at least appear to be "cures".  Unfortunately, there are quacks in every
sector of the health care field.  The AMA just *LOVES* to publicize the
occasional quack chiropractor...too bad they don't put as much energy
into publicizing their own quacks when discovered.

   Modern chiropractic is not for everyone.  If you have a backache, or
a neck ache, or leg pains, and your MD can't do anything but provide you
with mind-dulling drugs that provide only minimal and temporary relief,
then you should consider seeing a chiropractor.  They *MAY* be able to
help.

   Don't fall victim to the money-grubbing power politics of the AMA.
Check the facts for yourself.  Remember that the AMA is the organization
that owns millions of $$$ in tobacco stock, and refused to support the
Surgeon General's warnings on cigarette packages.  According to studies
I have seen, the official AMA postions seldom represent the opinions
of the member MDs.  Often, according to these studies, they represent as
few as 5-10% of the membership.

   Doctors are human beings, not gods.  Western medical "science" has no
valid claim to being the only correct or effective means of achieving
health care.  When I need an MD, I see one.  When I need a chripractor, I
see one.

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

akl@hjuxa.UUCP (Anita K. Laux) (03/18/86)

()
In article <41@spdcc.UUCP>, dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
> A number of people have provided testimonials for the efficacy of their
> chiropractors, and I'd like to ask them what conditions they have which
> are being treated successfully by chiropractic, and what treatments are
> employed.

Let me start by saying that I am speaking on behalf of my SO. I myself have
never been to a chiropracter.

Last August, he (my SO) had excrutiating lower back pain and neck pain. A
good night's rest had become impossible, his sinuses were frequently clogged
in the morning. He would also experience "pounding" (his word) headaches
that would come on in a flash. He works at Ft. Dix; the doctor there recommended
pain killers and compresses, and time off work. Well, Dave *hates* pills and
drugs, and couldn't afford "time off work." He works in an office, no heavy
physical labor, so he couldn't see what difference that would make. He went to
a chiropracter (one recommended to him) who took X-rays which showed vertabrae
in the neck and back that were *severely* out of kilter. Dave saw the X-rays
himself, was skeptical that it could be so bad, and actually paid for another
set through Ft. Dix just to make sure the chiro wasn't pulling a fast one.
Sure enough, same result.

He started going to the chiropracter three times a week for several months.
Each session would consist of spinal manipulation (back cracking). He felt
better after the first few weeks. Even during the height of fall pollen and
dry leaf season, he had NO stuffy noses in the morning. The headaches were
greatly reduced as well.

I live with my SO; I saw first-hand the day-to-day improvements. Up to that
point, I had harbored a vague distrust of chiros. Now I've seen one case where
a chiro was a definite help, and NO drugs were used. I should also mention that
periodically he was re-examined and subsequent X-rays were taken which did show
improvements in the out-of-line vertabrae. He is now down to one visit per
month, and should be through after one or two more visits.

Neither one of us believes everything that chiros claim. But as for helping
everyday back troubles, we would both try a chiro first.

Anita Laux
DEC, Holmdel

uucp...!{decvax, ihnp4}!hjuxa!akl

dyer@harvard.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (03/19/86)

Um, if possible, can we stay away from the tone of voice that Mr. Keller
displays in his most recent message?  I think that he answered my question
by saying that he goes to a chiropractor when his back or neck acts up.
As I said before, I'm interested in this kind of information, preferably
without excessive cant or rhetoric.  Interested, too, in testimonials for
the efficacy (or lack of same) of chiropractic in non-skeletal disorders.

Thanks,
--
/Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

zarifes@bnrmtv.UUCP (Kenneth Zarifes) (03/19/86)

> and non-traditional healing professions.  Rather, I would really like to
> hear from people who have had success from chiropractic.  Please tell us
> what your problems were, how they were helped, and what the chiropractor
> did.

Once I had an intense muscle spasm in my back that muscle relaxants didn't
do anything for.  It was extremely painful.  I went to my mother's chiro
and in 15 minutes I walked out feeling great.  The spasm was gone and it
never came back.

The only other cases I've seen are people at my karate studio who see
chiros.  I have seen several people with hip problems go to chiros and
their flexibility has increased tremendously.  Their high kicks are now
much stronger, faster and higher in my opinion. The difference is visibly
obvious, and impressive, to me. Also,  they claim that the pain in their
hip joints is now gone. (We don't advocate high kicks for tactical reasons,
but that's a entirely different subject!! :-)).

I have developed similar problems with my hip joints.  The joints are painful
when I'm sitting in a chair and spread my knees apart (bad sign eh?) and I
develop laower back pain when I take a fairly long walk.  I'm considering
a chiro,  but I will see a MD first to rule out things like arthritis,
obvious injury, etc.

I feel that chiros are great if they STAY WITHIN THEIR DOMAIN.  When they
start trying to treat diseases, etc.  they then become quacks.

--

{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!zarifes          --Ken Zarifes

slr@ho95e.UUCP (Shelley.L.Rosenbaum.4M514.46131.x3615) (03/20/86)

> As I said before, I'm interested in this kind of information, preferably
> without excessive cant or rhetoric.  Interested, too, in testimonials for
> the efficacy (or lack of same) of chiropractic in non-skeletal disorders.

One of the things I forgot to add in my recent posting was the time I went
to my chiropractor for my regular "maintenance" (adjust the timing, change
the spark plugs... :-)), and I happened to have had a lingering headache.
When I told the chiro about it, and described where the headache was, he
immediately asked, "Are you on a diet?  Or have you recently changed your
eating habits?"  Well, it so happened that I had just gone on 2nd shift at
work, and I was eating at all kinds of weird hours.  The chiro kind of
pressed down on my stomach, and the headache pain was noticeably diminished.
To avoid a recurrence, I merely "regularized" my eating hours.

People have said in past articles that chiros don't seem to know that a
back has a front attached to it.  Perhaps that's because they're going
to the wrong chiropractor.

Shelley Rosenbaum