[net.med] Drug Abuse - True Problem or Media Hype?

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (09/12/86)

In article <720@scc.UUCP>, steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

> 	The 9/15/86 *Time* had some revealing statistics.
> The one I found most interesting is  " . . . more people (570)
> died from appendicitis last year than from cocaine abuse (563)." [p. 64]

I find it immposible to minimize the dangers of drug abuse from such com-
parisions.  Appendicitis certainly does not contribute to the crime rate.  Nor
does it lead to anti-social behaviour in any way.  Those with appendicitis
also do not cause others to contract it such as is the case with those who
abuse drugs and encourage others to do the same.  Unlike drug abuse,
illnesses do not ordinarily lead young people into chemical dependency such that
their lives are controlled in destructive manner by those chemicals.  Mental
hospitals have a lot of victims in them from drug abuse rather than from
appendicitis.  But enought, the concept of using silly comparisions to
maximize or minimize something is a ploy that has been used by either side
for years, usually unsucessfully.

ray

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (09/13/86)

In article <20756@rochester.ARPA> ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) writes:
>In article <720@scc.UUCP>, steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:
>>
>> " . . . more people (570)
>> died from appendicitis last year than from cocaine abuse (563)." [p. 64]
>>
>I find it immposible to minimize the dangers of drug abuse from such com-
>parisions.  Appendicitis certainly does not contribute to the crime rate.  Nor
>does it lead to anti-social behaviour in any way.

You're right, Ray.  A fairer comparison would be to legal, but
harmful, drugs like tobacco (350,000 deaths a year) and alcohol
(25,000 deaths in drunk driving wrecks alone).  Can you explain
to me why cocaine use is worse for society than alcohol and tobacco
use?

--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,fortune}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck, nsc!csi!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

(pesnta has been dead for two weeks, please don't reply through pesnta)

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (09/15/86)

In article <463@epimass.UUCP>, jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
> You're right, Ray.  A fairer comparison would be to legal, but
> harmful, drugs like tobacco (350,000 deaths a year) and alcohol
> (25,000 deaths in drunk driving wrecks alone).  Can you explain
> to me why cocaine use is worse for society than alcohol and tobacco
> use?

Knowing how harmful legalizing drugs such as alcohol and tobacco has been, how
can you advocate legalizing still more harmful drugs into our society?
Haven't we learned anything from this?  I've been addicted to tobacco for
many years now.  If other controlled drugs had been legal 20 years ago, I
could be addicted to those also.  As I said, I'm addicted to tobacco, but I'm
not ignorant nor insensitive enough to advocate the use of this horrible killer.
I became addicted when I was too young to realize the consequences, just as
our young people today are doing drugs and not giving the consequences enough
thought.  Tobacco in general takes much longer to become addicting than a lot
of todays' popularly abused drugs.  By the time young kids realize the dangers
they could be addicted and then it is too late.

ray

In article <981@whuts.UUCP>, orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
> "The Drug Crackdown is the McCarthyism of the 80's"!!
>
> I suggest people do all in their power, write letters to the editor,
> write their Congresspeople, and whatever possible to stop this new
> facism before it gets started.
>                   tim sevener  whuxn!orb

Yes, I'll write letters, but not the kind you want.  My letters will be to
opose drug abuse and fight the legalization of their use.  The drug crack-
down is long overdue.  I'm all for using the military in this war on drugs.
What better use of our soldiers than to protect the welfare of our young
people here at home.

Say no to drugs.

ray

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (09/16/86)

> > "The Drug Crackdown is the McCarthyism of the 80's"!!
> >
> > I suggest people do all in their power, write letters to the editor,
> > write their Congresspeople, and whatever possible to stop this new
> > facism before it gets started.
>
> 	It is getting worse!!   There is a bill before congress
> that attempts to limit the exclusionary rule, give the military
> police powers, and institute the death penalty in certain drug
> dealing cases!    Note that the states, who formerly had the
> power to legislate drug use (pot is decriminalized in Alaska)
> will have that power weakened, the death penalty, likewise,
> is a state issue.   It strikes me that the centralization of
> police athority is an extremely bad idea.   Who will police
> the police?  Especially if the police are tautological with
> the most powerful military organization in the world?
>
> 	I am writing my congressperson and I am using the arguments
> sketched in the article referenced on the top and my other
> article "The War On Drugs is Mind Control and Colonialism."
> I wonder if that article made it everywhere because I have been
> getting much response to the article refered to in the title,
> but none on the other.
>
> Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

Using the military as a *police* force is particularly scary when
you see its results in both past history and other countries.
Are people so stupid as to forget that it was precisely engaging
the military in these sorts of police activities in Latin American
countries which led to death squads in El Salvador, Brazil, Argentina,
Guatemala, and other Latin American countries??
(Oh, I forgot.  Somehow the Death Squads in all these countries
were never front-page news like true-blue enemy "terrorists".
Death Squads, we all know, are not "terrorists", just maintaining
order via the firm hand of random execution!)

Moreover, giving this sort of power to the military can be
a grave threat to civilian control and our democracy.
By being restricted to the primary function of simply defending
us against outside invasion, the military has not acquired domestic
power of its own.  To break down that barrier is *VERY DANGEROUS*.
                      tim sevener  whuxn!orb

suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) (09/16/86)

In article <463@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>You're right, Ray.  A fairer comparison would be to legal, but
>harmful, drugs like tobacco (350,000 deaths a year) and alcohol
>(25,000 deaths in drunk driving wrecks alone).  Can you explain
>to me why cocaine use is worse for society than alcohol and tobacco
>use?
	I don't have to.  The principle is, if you have two problems
	on your hands, should you acquire a third one if you don't
	have to?

	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
	users.

--
Maurice Suhre

{decvax,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (09/16/86)

In article <20810@rochester.ARPA>, ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) writes:
>As I said, I'm addicted to tobacco, but I'm
>not ignorant nor insensitive enough to advocate the use of this horrible killer.
>I became addicted when I was too young to realize the consequences, just as
>our young people today are doing drugs and not giving the consequences enough
>thought.  Tobacco in general takes much longer to become addicting than a lot
>of todays' popularly abused drugs.  By the time young kids realize the dangers
>they could be addicted and then it is too late.

 Gee, when I was young I heard that tobacco was bad for your health. I didn't
seem to have the slightest difficulty understanding this fact. You know I
don't make any claims to having been some sort of child prodigy either. I
think even a ten year old would have to be deaf and blind to not hear of the
bad consequences of tobacco.
  I might also take this opportunity to point out that not all illegal drugs
are addictive. Pot, LSD, mushrooms, peyote are examples of non-addictive
drugs which are still illegal.

                  -Steve "Piss bottles for God and Country" Dunn

susan@madvax.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (09/16/86)

> Knowing how harmful legalizing drugs such as alcohol and tobacco has been, how
> can you advocate legalizing still more harmful drugs into our society?
> Haven't we learned anything from this?  I've been addicted to tobacco for
> many years now.  If other controlled drugs had been legal 20 years ago, I
> could be addicted to those also.  As I said, I'm addicted to tobacco, but I'm
> not ignorant nor insensitive enough to advocate the use of this horrible killer.
> I became addicted when I was too young to realize the consequences, just as
> our young people today are doing drugs and not giving the consequences enough
> thought.  Tobacco in general takes much longer to become addicting than a lot
> of todays' popularly abused drugs.  By the time young kids realize the dangers
> they could be addicted and then it is too late.
>
> ray

I too was "addicted" to tobacco when I was too young to know any better.  I
decided to stop smoking and, therefore, I no longer smoke.  Quitting wasn't
fun.  However I didn't need military intervention, nor government mandate
nor police harrassment to make me quit.  Do you really expect to get a
lot of respect from kids who see that their elders drugs of choice are
legal?  Need I bring up the overwhelming success of Prohibition?

  Susan Finkelman
	{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex,rtech}!varian!susan

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (09/17/86)

>	I don't have to.  The principle is, if you have two problems
>	on your hands, should you acquire a third one if you don't
>	have to?
>
>	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
>	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
>	users.

And it would be similar for cocaine users as well if the government
didn't try to hard to keep the prices high.

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (09/17/86)

In article <1302@trwrb.UUCP> suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) writes:
>In article <463@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>>You're right, Ray.  A fairer comparison would be to legal, but
>>harmful, drugs like tobacco (350,000 deaths a year) and alcohol
>>(25,000 deaths in drunk driving wrecks alone).  Can you explain
>>to me why cocaine use is worse for society than alcohol and tobacco
>>use?
>	I don't have to.  The principle is, if you have two problems
>	on your hands, should you acquire a third one if you don't
>	have to?

We already have the "third problem".  Millions use illegal drugs.
Why are we prepared to trample the Constitution in our hysteria
about it?

>	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
>	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
>	users.

That's because tobacco and alcohol are legal.  Pharmaceutical (sp?)
cocaine is around a dollar a gram.  The high price is entirely due to
the illegality.

Also, how many deaths are due to impurities or because the user is
getting a much stronger concentration than s/he is used to?  Answer:
almost all of them, in the case of heroin.  I have no idea for
cocaine.

Another point: when I was 14, no liquor store would sell me beer.
Yet anyone would sell me marijuana.  To get drugs away from children,
legalize and regulate them.  Making the penalties for selling
cigarettes to minors as severe as those for selling alcohol to minors
would help also (i.e. store loses license to sell tobacco).

--

falk@sun.uucp (Ed Falk) (09/18/86)

> We already have the "third problem".  Millions use illegal drugs.
> Why are we prepared to trample the Constitution in our hysteria
> about it?

I read something interesting in one of the SF papers today.  The Reagan
administration has cut funding for drug treatment by more than 46% since
they came into power.  Reagan's 'war on drugs' will restore only
*part* of that funding.  I don't think this administration is at all
concerned with helping people at all, it's just a power grab.  This
business of assigning civilian police powers to the military really
gives me the heebie-jeebies.

--
		-ed falk, sun microsystems
			falk@sun.com

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (09/18/86)

In article <1302@trwrb.UUCP> suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) writes:
>In article <463@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>>You're right, Ray.  A fairer comparison would be to legal, but
>>harmful, drugs like tobacco (350,000 deaths a year) and alcohol
>>(25,000 deaths in drunk driving wrecks alone).  Can you explain
>>to me why cocaine use is worse for society than alcohol and tobacco
>>use?
>	I don't have to.  The principle is, if you have two problems
>	on your hands, should you acquire a third one if you don't
>	have to?
>
>	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
>	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
>	users.

You walked right into this one - they did murder and steal for alcohol
during prohibition.  An extremely strong case can be made that the
damage to society (crime, health costs etc) of a drug of any sort
is *higher* when the drug is illegal.  When a drug is illegal:

	a) the mystique of doing something forbidden tends to increase use.
	b) demand for the drug, and the lack of legitimate channels
	   of supply force the prices way up.
	c) Extremely high prices:
		- force users to steal to support their habit
		- attract organized crime to the market
		- the high amounts of money involved result in
		  other crimes
	d) People in trouble with the drug tend to try to avoid
	   treatment

How much crime would you expect to see resulting from a drug if the cost
for a day's worth of "tripping" was $1 instead of $1000?  Not much.
If they legalized cocaine tomorrow I would suspect that usage would go
up somewhat (not all that much), and the crime rate would go down sharply
(excluding "possession" that is) and the health costs wouldn't change
much.  I bet you won't find many "dealers" in favour of decriminalization!

Of *course* alcohol and tobacco are "dangerous" drugs.  And, of *course*
more people die from either one of them than from all the other drugs
combined.  But, a lot more of alcohol or tobacco is consumed
than coke or whatever.  And the high rates of consumption are *not* because
they're legal/illegal *now*, but because of the history of our culture.
The other drugs are not part of the majority's history.  And, they're far
more dangerous (with the notable exception perhaps of pot) on a
per-individual basis.  If they legalized these drugs tomorrow the mystique
would be gone, the criminal involvement the day after, and many of the addicts
a few years from now:

	- would no longer be the "in" thing to do - fewer starting on drugs.
	- people being able to seek treatment without fear of the law.
	- pushers no longer having incentive to push.

And, Miami Vice would go off the air!  (Yay!  Worth it for that alone!)
--
Chris Lewis
UUCP: {utzoo|utcs|yetti|genat|seismo}!mnetor!spectrix!clewis

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (09/18/86)

In article <445@madvax.UUCP>, susan@madvax.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) writes:
> I too was "addicted" to tobacco when I was too young to know any better.  I
> decided to stop smoking and, therefore, I no longer smoke.  Quitting wasn't
> fun.  However I didn't need military intervention, nor government mandate
> nor police harrassment to make me quit.  Do you really expect to get a
> lot of respect from kids who see that their elders drugs of choice are
> legal?  Need I bring up the overwhelming success of Prohibition?

  Some things are easier to decide to stop doing than others.  If you'd become
addicted to crack or speed or whatever when you were young, number 1, you may
not have been able to kick the habit, and number too, if you did, your
brain might have been irreversibly damaged by the time you stopped.
  Do you really expect to get a lot of respect from kids when they see their
elders breaking the law, such as doing harmful and illegal drugs?
  Prohibition?  Too bad it didn't work.  Twenty five thousand people a year
every year would be alive to enjoy prohibition rather than a grave.  Another
500,000 people per year would not be severly injured, trying to enjoy life
from a hospital room or wheel chair.  These two drugs, alcohol and tobacco, have
wiped out more people then all the wars in our history, so why not introduce
more drugs into our society?

ray

In article <890@nbires.UUCP>, nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) writes:
>  Gee, when I was young I heard that tobacco was bad for your health. I didn't
> seem to have the slightest difficulty understanding this fact.

Gee, when were you young, when all the dangers were known about tobacco?  You
don't deserve a feather in your cap for knowing something that everyone else
also knew.  When I was young, they just began to suspect that tobacco might
be linked to this or that disease.  Almost every smoked then, 65,000,000 to
be exact.  Unfortunately, there are still over 30,000,000 smokers in spite of
all the dangers.

ray

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (09/19/86)

In article <470@epimass.UUCP>, jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:

> That's because tobacco and alcohol are legal.  Pharmaceutical (sp?)
> cocaine is around a dollar a gram.  The high price is entirely due to
> the illegality.

Again, there are over 35 million tobacco addicts and 20 million alcohol
addicts.  This is because of the easy availability of said drugs.  With
cocaine and many other drugs being so addictive, there most likely would
be more addicts than alcohol and tobacco addicts combined if drugs
were legalized.

> Also, how many deaths are due to impurities or because the user is
> getting a much stronger concentration than s/he is used to?  Answer:
> almost all of them, in the case of heroin.  I have no idea for
> cocaine.

This just furthers my point concerning the problems associated with
legalizing drugs.  Drugs are so addicting, that even at great personal
risk, people still use them.  If they are made legal, then how many more
people would become addicted?

> Another point: when I was 14, no liquor store would sell me beer.
> Yet anyone would sell me marijuana.  To get drugs away from children,
> legalize and regulate them.  Making the penalties for selling
> cigarettes to minors as severe as those for selling alcohol to minors
> would help also (i.e. store loses license to sell tobacco).

Good point, but not one in your favor.  It just emphasizes the growing
drug problem:  pushers getting kids hooked on drugs.
When I was 14, it was very easy to get alcohol.  We just paid a little more
for a quart of beer.  Some older person would get it for us.  This is
exactly what will happen if drugs are legalized.  Kids will still have very
easy access to them.  They will be very cheap, so kids will be able to buy
drugs in very large quantities.  Just as there is an underground market for
alcohol for under age kids, there will exist an underground market for
drugs.  Remember, the highest cause of death of kids between the ages of
14 and 20 is alcohol related car accidents.  It can thus be seen that
legalizing a dangerous substances does not minimize its' danger.

Wake up, reality is all around you ready to replace your fantasy land.

ray

gkb@necntc.UUCP (Greg Busby) (09/19/86)

In article <1302@trwrb.UUCP> suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) writes:
>In article <463@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>>You're right, Ray.  A fairer comparison would be to legal, but

[note: this is in resonse to comparisons of # of cocaine deaths vs.
# of appendicitis deaths, etc.]

>>harmful, drugs like tobacco (350,000 deaths a year) and alcohol
>>(25,000 deaths in drunk driving wrecks alone).  Can you explain
>>to me why cocaine use is worse for society than alcohol and tobacco
>>use?
>	I don't have to.  The principle is, if you have two problems
>	on your hands, should you acquire a third one if you don't
>	have to?

The problem here is not that alcohol and tobacco are LEGAL, but that
they are so ACCEPTED.  Because of the fact that they are taken for
granted in society, and their use is socially acceptable (if falling out
of fashion), we (as a society) assume that young people will be able to
make their own decisions about how to use them.  BUT (and this is the
main point) WE DON'T EVER TEACH YOUNG PEOPLE WHAT THESE DRUGS CAN DO AND
LET THEM GAIN SOME [LIMITED] EXPERIENCE WITH THEM.  THE AVERAGE PERSON
DOESN'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT LEGAL [OR ILLEGAL] DRUGS TO MAKE AN INFORMED
DECISION.  This doesn't mean I think people should smoke or drink, but
that they should be free to make that decision on their own.  Society's
place is to present them with information and help them out if they feel
that they can't handle it once thy've started.

>	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
>	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
>	users.
And neither would drug users if the drugs weren't sold on the black
market, which always has high prices for its commodities (how expensive
was alcohol during prohibition?). If drugs were
legal, the competition in the market would drive prices down to the
point where stealing wouldn't be necessary. In addition, it would bring
the grower/producer and distributor under all the same regulations that
govern tobacco and alcohol and provide a measure of control against
young (<~15 or 16) people getting ahold of drus that are harmful.
[As an aside, some of my siblings' high-school-age friends have said
that with the higher drinking age, they can't get alcohol, so they have
turned to drugs.  But that is another pet peeve.] The point is that
regulating a legal drug has made it harder for "children" to get it, so
why wouldn't legalizing and regulating illegal drugs have the same
effect?

>Maurice Suhre

GKB

csanders@amdcad.UUCP (Craig S. Anderson) (09/20/86)

In article <20811@rochester.ARPA> ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) writes:
>In article <981@whuts.UUCP>, orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>> "The Drug Crackdown is the McCarthyism of the 80's"!!
>>
>> I suggest people do all in their power, write letters to the editor,
>> write their Congresspeople, and whatever possible to stop this new
>> facism before it gets started.
>>                   tim sevener  whuxn!orb
>
>Yes, I'll write letters, but not the kind you want.  My letters will be to
>opose drug abuse and fight the legalization of their use.  The drug crack-
>down is long overdue.  I'm all for using the military in this war on drugs.
>What better use of our soldiers than to protect the welfare of our young
>people here at home.

Doesn't the military have enough to do already?  Wouldn't it be better
to spend some money on the DEA or the Coast Guard?  After all, those
two organizations are responsible for keeping imported drugs out of
the U.S.  It seems like the public wants a 'quick fix' to a problem
that doesn't have any easy answers.  The only way to really fight
drug abuse is to persuade (there's an ambiguous word!) people not
to demand drugs.  You do this through education, social pressure,
and information about the harmful effects of drugs.  The proportion
of Americans who smoke is down significantly from 20 years ago because
smokers know that it damages their health, and a great many non-smokers
won't tolerate smoking in the workplace or in public places like restaurants.
The government arrests all of the smugglers and dealers it can find,
but it doesn't make much difference since there are always scummy people
waiting to make money on drugs.  Get rid of the demand, and there won't
be a drug problem.  I realize that this is a difficult task, but people's
attitudes can change.  Just look how much the attitude towards racial
discrimination has changed in the past 100 years or so.

--
 Craig Anderson
 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (09/20/86)

In article <3107@columbia.UUCP>, zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) writes:

> [more twisted thoughts deleted]
>
> Don Steiny writes:
> >> 	It is getting worse!!   There is a bill before congress
>
> [additional twisted thoughts deleted]
>
> This is net.med and its purpose is to support a discussion about medical
> issues. It's pretty clear that neither of you has anything creative to say
> about a medical field.  Please, redirect your postings to elsewhere.

	I have talk.poltics.misc in the header line.   For political
and religious reasons we have given the medical profession
outragous powers.   That is an other issue.  Execpt for
alcohol and tobacco the only people that can legally push drugs
are doctors (they made a killing during prohibition perscribing
whiskey).    It is a medical issue because we live in a society
where it seems reasonable that the medical profession should have
control over behavior.   As ludicrous as this is, it generates
considerable overlap between medicine, politics, and religion.

> Both of you seem to be missing an elementary fact, necessary to understand
> the difference between a drug use and a tobacco use. Regardless of the
> unquestionable harm implied by  both substances, this society has decided
> (for whatever reasons) to accept only one of them, namely tobacco.
> It's probably because of the reasonably safe end deterministic behaviour
> of the addicts (and if they want to die, fine).

	In the United States, we have the freedom to question laws.
Remember that at one time alcohol was illegal, but we decided that
it was a mistake to make it illegal.   The reasons why various
drugs are illegal are well documented parts of US history.

	What are you?  A communist?  You sould like a communist to me.
Obey the law and don't question the state!   Wake up buddy!  This
is America.

> BUT and this is a big but, if you want to use drugs you MUST do something
> ILLEGAL in order to obtain them. And there are fortunately still some
> people around that do believe in a law.

	This is circular.   They are illegal because there are laws
against them.

> So if you want to disscuss whether or not the drugs are harmful
> and you find somebody here willing to waste his time, go right ahead.

	Gee, thanks!

> Meanwhile, stop writing the letters to your congressmen and think
> a little bit about what you are saying.

	Hmm, I know what year every drug was made illegal.  I know
which congresspeople were instrumental in generating the legislation,
I know the social conditions that prevailed at the time.   I know
the chemical composition of most drugs or I can look it up in a
moment.   I know the receptor sites in the brain that the drugs
bind to (for those that do such things), and much more.  You just
said that you do know even know why some drugs are illegal and
others not!    YOU are telling ME that I should think?    It looks
to me like your knee is jerking.

> And don't forget that there
> are some of us, who not only don't want to live surrounded by drug
> addicts but

> . . .also don't sit quiet and make sure proposals like yours
> don't get very far. I, for one always will.
> zdenek

 	I proposed that we do not loose our heads over a problem
that is media and political hype and recind the constitution in the
process.    Are you saying that you are going to try to recind the
constitution?   That's what we're afraid of!

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) (09/21/86)

I think the "Drug Problem" will never be over in this country until drugs
are legalized.  I think that the DEA and others involved in stopping
the flow of drugs into this country have a vested interest in
keeping enough drugs coming through that their jobs are safe.

I also think that many drug dealers are solidly against legaization
for the same reason.

Remember the bit about moon-shiners reminding preachers to give a
hell-and-brimstone sermon against drinking the Sunday before a vote on
allowing alcohol sales in dry counties?

Politics make strange bedfellows.
--
Jerry Natowitz (HASA - A division)
Bell Labs HR 2A-214

Isn't it interesting how the beautiful little red flower in the forest
becomes so ugly when you discover it's a candy wrapper.

rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) (09/21/86)

In article <1302@trwrb.UUCP> suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) writes:
>In article <463@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>>You're right, Ray.  A fairer comparison would be to legal, but
>>harmful, drugs like tobacco (350,000 deaths a year) and alcohol
>>(25,000 deaths in drunk driving wrecks alone).  Can you explain
>>to me why cocaine use is worse for society than alcohol and tobacco
>>use?
>	I don't have to.  The principle is, if you have two problems
>	on your hands, should you acquire a third one if you don't
>	have to?
>
>	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
>	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
>	users.
>
>--
>Maurice Suhre
>
>{decvax,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre

I hear the above argument used over and over again, 'Alcohol and tobacco
aren't as bad because they don't cause crime'.  The reason they don't
cause crime is because they are not illegal!  In the first place the
number of drug users who steal to support their habit is very small in
comparison to the total number of users.  In the second place if the drugs
were legal they would be much much cheaper.  The laws of economics
guarantee this.  Many drug users smoke and drink too, but they don't
need to steal for these habits because they only cost a couple of dollars
a day.  If heroin and cocaine were legal and cheap, these people would
not have to steal, their habits would no longer be illegal, and the only
detrimental effect they would be having would be on themselves and possibly
their children.  In this case we take away their children, just like they
do now with alcoholics.

The intelligent thing to do is to stop wasting money on the enforcement
of unenforceable laws and spend it on educational programs.  It has been
shown that education works (look at the drop in tobacco use) and I believe
that the US could substantially reduce its drug problem in only a couple
of years.  This approach would stop making criminals of millions of casual
users who are hurting no one.

Jim Nusbaum

--
R. James Nusbaum, Duke University Computer Science Department,
Durham NC 27706-2591. Phone (919)684-5110.

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) (09/21/86)

> These two drugs, alcohol and tobacco, have
> wiped out more people then all the wars in our history, so why not introduce
> more drugs into our society?
>
> ray

I think the drugs are quite introduced into our society.  At this point
the question is what is the least damaging to society: legalizing drugs,
continuing on our current path, or an all out war.

Drugs (of one sort or another) have been a part of society
since the first time people ate fermented fruit, drank the liquid the
floats on sour dough, or munched on one of the myriad of psychogenic
plants or animals.

Cross-species data indicates that birds seek out and eat fermenting fruits
getting quite intoxicated in the process.  I'm sure there are many other
examples, I'm just not up on ethology.

I think that overwhelming proportion of damage done to society "by drugs"
is a direct or indirect effect of the non legal status of the drugs.
--

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (09/22/86)

In article <374@necntc.UUCP>, gkb@necntc.UUCP (Greg Busby) writes:
> [As an aside, some of my siblings' high-school-age friends have said
> that with the higher drinking age, they can't get alcohol, so they have
> turned to drugs.  But that is another pet peeve.] The point is that
> regulating a legal drug has made it harder for "children" to get it, so
> why wouldn't legalizing and regulating illegal drugs have the same
> effect?

  The entire paragraph above is just about the most bullshit ridden group of
words assembled that I've seen in quite awhile.
You are saying that because the drinking ages for alcoholic consumption were
raised that kids can't get alcohol, but CAN get drugs.  Does some moral code
of ethics exist out there that would prevent someone from selling alcohol to
minors but would alow the selling of illegal drugs to minors?  I think you've
been led astray by some of your siblings' high-school-age friends.  Even if
this were true, what is your point, that we should alow kids to have alcohol
so that they will use less drugs?
  Now my point.  If drugs are made legal, kids will have even easier access to
them, just as they currently have easy access to alcohol.  Just as they have
always had easy access to alcohol.  But a more frightening point is that
these legal drugs will now be cheap.  A kid could spend his lunch money on
some drugs and be wacked out for days.  Can you imagine a 'pack of coke'
costing the equivelent of a pack of cigarettes with enough 'blast' to last
the day?  The next time you are driving by a school play ground, please
observe all the kids in the area smoking.  Also realize that it is against
the law for minors to purchase tobacco products, but there they are, smoking
away, with no one admonishing them for it.  So here we have a regulated legal
substance with kids having absolutely no problem obtaining it.  So much for
your theories on regulation and legalization.

ray

In article <20976@rochester.ARPA> ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) writes:
>In article <374@necntc.UUCP>, gkb@necntc.UUCP (Greg Busby) writes:
>> [As an aside, some of my siblings' high-school-age friends have said
>> that with the higher drinking age, they can't get alcohol, so they have
>> turned to drugs.  But that is another pet peeve.] The point is that
>> regulating a legal drug has made it harder for "children" to get it, so
>> why wouldn't legalizing and regulating illegal drugs have the same
>> effect?
>
>  The entire paragraph above is just about the most bullshit ridden group of
>words assembled that I've seen in quite awhile.
>You are saying that because the drinking ages for alcoholic consumption were
>raised that kids can't get alcohol, but CAN get drugs.

Well, perhpas you'd best check your sources!  At the High School level, there's
always sombody around the school or hangout with some pot for sale or share.
Beer's not that hard to get, but it is harder to bring to market, bulky, hard
to hide or usually requires considerable aggravation to get someone with an
older brother or fake id to make a run.

Another trend takes place at the 18-20 year age group.  In this case, these
people have to shift from social drinking in public places, where drugs are
apt to be discouraged to private partying, where controls are far more vague.

Face it, the issues are far more complicated than either side would like to
admit, and values are apt to change depending on age and family status...
--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) (09/23/86)

In article <8591@duke.duke.UUCP> rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) writes:
>In article <1302@trwrb.UUCP> suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) writes:
>>In article <463@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>>>Can you explain
>>>to me why cocaine use is worse for society than alcohol and tobacco
>>>use?
>>	I don't have to.  The principle is, if you have two problems
>>	on your hands, should you acquire a third one if you don't
>>	have to?

I still stand by the above paragraph.
>>	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
>>	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
>>	users.
I've been somewhat convinced by the arguments that illegal substances
cost way more than they would if available legally.

	Try this one.  The majority of people that drink "socially"
	can enjoy the pleasures of alcohol without becoming addicted,
	damaging their lives, etc.  Do the majority of cocaine users
	follow the same pattern?  Or do almost all of them become
	abusers?  The principle that I advance is the addictive
	power of the various substances under discussion.
--

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (09/23/86)

> In article <374@necntc.UUCP>, gkb@necntc.UUCP (Greg Busby) writes:
> > [As an aside, some of my siblings' high-school-age friends have said
> > that with the higher drinking age, they can't get alcohol, so they have
> > turned to drugs.  But that is another pet peeve.] The point is that
> > regulating a legal drug has made it harder for "children" to get it, so
> > why wouldn't legalizing and regulating illegal drugs have the same
> > effect?
>
>   The entire paragraph above is just about the most bullshit ridden group of
> words assembled that I've seen in quite awhile.
> You are saying that because the drinking ages for alcoholic consumption were
> raised that kids can't get alcohol, but CAN get drugs.  Does some moral code
> of ethics exist out there that would prevent someone from selling alcohol to
> minors but would alow the selling of illegal drugs to minors?  I think you've

Not a moral code.  Liquor stores are afraid of losing their license.  Drug
dealers are completely unconcerned because they already operate illegally.

> been led astray by some of your siblings' high-school-age friends.  Even if
> this were true, what is your point, that we should alow kids to have alcohol
> so that they will use less drugs?
>   Now my point.  If drugs are made legal, kids will have even easier access to
> them, just as they currently have easy access to alcohol.  Just as they have
> always had easy access to alcohol.  But a more frightening point is that
> these legal drugs will now be cheap.  A kid could spend his lunch money on
> some drugs and be wacked out for days.  Can you imagine a 'pack of coke'
> costing the equivelent of a pack of cigarettes with enough 'blast' to last
> the day?  The next time you are driving by a school play ground, please
> observe all the kids in the area smoking.  Also realize that it is against
> the law for minors to purchase tobacco products, but there they are, smoking
> away, with no one admonishing them for it.  So here we have a regulated legal
> substance with kids having absolutely no problem obtaining it.  So much for
> your theories on regulation and legalization.
>
> ray

Fine.  A bunch of scum wack themselves out from cheap drugs.  The REST of
the population (which is the overwhelming majority) can get back to studying.

You also seem to overlook that the illegality of drugs results in not
only higher prices and profits for drug dealers, but the illegality of
advertising price and availability makes it likely that a doper will
question.  This creates incentives for a drug dealer to give away
free samples.  If the profit is measured in the 1% range, and you have
assurance that your customers will come back to you in particular,
why give away drugs to get people hooked?

Clayton E. Cramer

csanders@amdcad.UUCP (Craig S. Anderson) (09/24/86)

In article <1568@mtx5a.UUCP> mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) writes:
>>  .  .  .  .  I'm all for using the military in this war on drugs.
>> >What better use of our soldiers than to protect the welfare of our young
>> >people here at home.
>>
>> Doesn't the military have enough to do already?  Wouldn't it be better
>> to spend some money on the DEA or the Coast Guard?  After all, those
>> two organizations are responsible for keeping imported drugs out of
>> the U.S.. ...
>
>The coast guard is already involved.  Trouble is, they've been shot at with
>anti-ship missiles and large-caliber machine guns in some cases, and they
>haven't got the radars that can get a small, light plane skimming the
>surface in the ``ground clutter''.  The Navy *has* got these radars, and they
>are equipped to deal with Soviet (and other) missiles that can be purchased
>by smugglers with enough cash.

The Coast Guard can deal with ships that have machine guns (their frigates
have 5 in. guns).  I have not heard of smugglers attacking the
Coast Guard with anti-ship missiles.  Please give references.  The
Navy and the Air Force already lend some support to the Coast Guard
and the DEA by giving them information about ship and aircraft traffic.
The House bill would give the military a more active role in hunting
down smugglers, and would allow the military to actually make arrests.

It is kind of strange that the President has declared a "War on Drugs",
but doesn't want to spend much more money on the problem?

1) He want to use the military to crack down on smugglers, since the
   money is already allocated in the DoD budget.

2) His drive for drug-free schools and workplaces is laudable, but
   it puts the burden for fighting drugs on employers and the schools.

3) I read in the newspaper that he has cut funds over the last few years
   for drug rehabilitation.

>>  Get rid of the demand, and there won't
>> be a drug problem.  I realize that this is a difficult task, but people's
>> attitudes can change.  Just look how much the attitude towards racial
>> discrimination has changed in the past 100 years or so.
>
>Great idea, but in the mean time, why not make the junk less available?

Good idea, but law enforcement hasn't had much luck stemming the tide
of drugs flowing in....

>How do you show someone what it's like to be so hard up for a fix that
>you'll kill your parents, steal, so bent out of shape that you don't care
>about anything but that next fix?

Well, you could have someone who's been there talk to people about it.
In high school I got the obligatory anti-drug lectures, but they
didn't seem to have much impact on me or anyone else.  But when
our college dorm invited a former alcoholic and drug addict who
got kicked out of Cal largely because of his substance abuse, it really
hit close to home with some of the students there.  Telling a
teen-ager "Don't do drugs" without showing him/her the consequences
of drug abuse is often futile because of the sometimes intense peer
pressure to take drugs.

--

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (09/25/86)

gkb@necntc.UUCP (Greg Busby) says:
>>	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
>>	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
>>	users.
>And neither would drug users if the drugs weren't sold on the black
>market, which always has high prices for its commodities (how expensive
>was alcohol during prohibition?). If drugs were
>legal, the competition in the market would drive prices down to the
>point where stealing wouldn't be necessary.

One small question here:  Some drugs taken often seem to make it
virtually impossible for a person to hold a job.  It seems to me,
therefore, that even if drugs were cheap, there would still be some
stealing for drug money, because the addicted persons wouldn't be able
to work.  (In case you didn't notice, I'm not talking about the casual
user or the social user, but the hard-core, can't-live-without-it
addict.)

without a                                              Terry Grevstad
 ECNALG                                  Network Research Corporation
                                                   ihnp4!nrcvax!terry
                         {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry

jwl@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (James Wilbur Lewis) (09/27/86)

Mr. Radouch may have intended this sarcastically, but his comments here are
actually quite an accurate depiction of my feelings on the issue!  Let me
elaborate a bit:

zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu.UUCP (Zdenek Radouch) writes:
>>[Jim Lewis]
>>I support legalized *possession* of all drugs;
>
>Right, after all everybody can synthesise (or grow) them at home by himself.

Correct....so keeping such drugs out of the hands of recreational drug users
will require massive invasions of privacy.

>> also legalized *sale* of all non-physiologically-addictive drugs
>
>Right, Screw yourself all you want as long as you don't become physiologically
>addicted (psychological addiction is fine).

Someone who knowingly uses addictive drugs is stupid. Someone who knowingly
*sells* addictive drugs is unethical. The latter person is the one we want
to bust!

>> to people who are well-enough informed of the possible consequences.
>
>All you have to do is to take and pass DRUGS 101 with at least C+.

YES! This really *is* what I'd like to see happen! Except with maybe a B as
the passing grade....

>>Dangerously addictive drugs should not be sold (except maybe by prescription).
>
>Safely addictive drugs in the selected supermarkets.

I've got news for you....I can walk down to the corner Safeway, and buy as
much alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine as I can carry!  All addictive substances,
and the first two aren't even all that safe. But this is as it should be...
it's my choice to risk using these substances.

I keep hearing references to a study that showed that nicotine is as addictive,
possibly even more so, than heroin.  Can someone (Craig?) give me a pointer to
the study so I can verify this?

>>[Would you sell alcohol to a minor...] if you knew you'd do time...?
>
>I would have to be more careful and it would cost the kid a hell of a lot more
>money.

Exactly the idea! That comment was put there to appease Ray Frank, who was
concerned that lower prices for legalized drugs would lead to easy availability
for children. This can be nullified by upping the penalty for unauthorized
dealing.

>>-- Jim Lewis
>>   U.C. Berkeley
>
>Verbum sat sapienti est.

I don't speak Latin. What are you saying?

>Zdenek Radouch

Jim Lewis

piety@hplabsb.UUCP (Bob Piety) (09/29/86)

All this BS about escalating drug wars is ridiculous!  We will gradually lose
our civil rights and freedoms from these "drug wars", yet the drug problem
will continue and, perhaps, escalate from all the attention!

As long as people WANT drugs, they will get them!  Consider incarcerated
criminals-- they get drugs in prison!!!!  They get them because they want them
and are willing to pay.

Now look around at the people you know who DON'T use drugs.  WHY don't they
use them?  Because they can't get them?  Because they can't afford them?
NO!!!  Most people don't use drugs because they understand the risks of taking
them.

Drugs will no longer be a problem when enough people CHOOSE, ON THEIR OWN
FREE WILL, NOT TO USE DRUGS.  They key to successful dealing with the drug
problem is EDUCATION!  Plain old truth about the risks must be known-- not
"Reefer-Madness"-type hype.  Credibilty must be established by the
authorities.  Kids must be made to BELIEVE the risks, through credible
sources, so that they turn down drugs if they are offered them.

Lastly, ask yourselves why YOU don't use drugs.  Why didn't YOU accept
undoubted offers of drugs when you were younger.  Why don't YOU have a drug
problem?  Now.... help pass the same insights to others so thet they make
their own choices.  Don't get hysterical and promote laws that further
chip away at our declining liberties.

Bob

piety@hplabsb.UUCP (Bob Piety) (09/29/86)

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment:

If you noticed someone driving a car erratically, posing an obvious threat to
the safety of other motorists, yet knew the person hadn't taken any drugs,
and you also knew that many other drivers were under the influence of ABCD
(choose your drug), yet were driving safely, WOULD YOU ARREST THE DRUG USERS
AND LET THE ERRATIC DRIVER CONTINUE???

The point I am trying to make is that peoples' ACTIONS should be the bottom
line.  If all drugs were legal, I wouldn't care what YOU used, as long as it
didn't pose any threat to me.  If I were an employer, why shouldn't I judge
my employees by what they do?  Why should an unreliable, poor-working
employee, for example, who doesn't use drugs, get better treatment than a
top-notch, reliable employee who does?  Shouldn't both be considered upon
their performance; their merits??

I suspect some readers will want to say "But, the drug user might have an
excessive absenteeism rate or pose a threat to other employees.".  If I had
an employee who was excessively absent or threatened other employees, I
wouldn't care much whether or not he were drug-free, but I'd be concerned
about his actions.

Its too easy to outlaw a substance, then arrest someone in possession of it;
you can immediately see the "problem" being solved.  Educating people, not
only is difficult, but the effects take years to be noticed-- just look at
tobacco usage, though people have been warned for quite some time.  The
pulicity of drug busts can get a lot of attention between elections, and
is therefore more popular than combatting the root of the problem.

Endangering others should be against the law.  Just because someone commits
a crime while "under the influence" is no excuse.  They took a drug and it
made them lose their ability to control themselves, therefore they should
be punished.  THEY MUST BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS!!!!  Anyone making
a choice to use a drug that might cause them to lose control must be aware
of the sever penalties if they harm others.  This is exactly how the laws
regarding alcohol use are.  Consuming alcohol is legal-- driving under the
influence, or getting rowdy in public is grounds for arrest, as it should be.
Perhaps those laws are too lenient.  However, if someone wants to drink
themselves to unconsciousness, in the privacy of their homes, who has the
right to deny them of that??

Again, the point is not the drugs themselves, but the individual's ACTIONS
AGAINST OTHERS that are the concern.  Let us not lose sight of that.  Don't
forget the ineffectiveness of prohibition and the associated crimes it
brought.  Direct attention to the ROOT of the problem, not the symptoms.
Redirect the drug war toward educating people ACCURATELY regarding the
effects of drugs, then hope they have the desire to avoid drug use.

Bob

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (09/29/86)

Drug testing may have some... unanticipated results. Persons whose jobs
depend on passing a drug test who are drug users have several actions. One
of those actions, of course, is to quit taking drugs. Probably a significant
number will do so.

There may be another option however. If some psycho-active drugs are either
not tested for or cannot be tested for, then the user of drugs that are
detected by the tests has the option of switching to drugs that are not
detected. My personal experience is that some people seem impelled to use
some sort of drug, if not one than another.

LSD is a fantastically potent drug. The average dose is about 125
micrograms. A microgram is a millionth of a gram. This is speculation,
but I doubt that with a dose this small, enough would show up in the urine
to make it detectable. If I am correct than people like air traffic
controllers who will get fired for (probably offduty) use of pot and coke may
switch to acid. If I'm wrong about acid not being detectable than my argument
will apply to the first drug they don't screen for. If this has worse effects
on job performance then the problem (If there really is one) will get worse
because of drug testing.

           -Steve "Piss bottles for god and country" Dunn

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (09/29/86)

In article <135@spectrix.UUCP>, clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:

> You walked right into this one - they did murder and steal for alcohol
> during prohibition.  An extremely strong case can be made that the
> damage to society (crime, health costs etc) of a drug of any sort
> is *higher* when the drug is illegal.

We all know the damage that alcohol currently does to our society.  I doubt
500,000 people annualy were killed or seriously wounded during prohibition.
So much for your extremely strong case.  In the paper this morning, a headline
read 'Four young girls, ages 4 to 14 were killed by a drunken driver as they
sat in their car IN THEIR DRIVEWAY waiting for their mother to come out of the
house to drive them somewhere.  The driver of the pickup truck crossed through
their yard, into the driveway, rammed the car, crossed the yard, back out into
the street, hit three other cars and came to a stop.'  The driver wasn't hurt.
Again, so much for your extremely strong case.  Try convincing that family
about the safety of legalizing dangerous chemical substances.

> Of *course* alcohol and tobacco are "dangerous" drugs.  And, of *course*
> more people die from either one of them than from all the other drugs
> combined.  But, a lot more of alcohol or tobacco is consumed
> than coke or whatever.  And the high rates of consumption are *not* because
> they're legal/illegal *now*, but because of the history of our culture.
> The other drugs are not part of the majority's history.  And, they're far
> more dangerous (with the notable exception perhaps of pot) on a
> per-individual basis.  If they legalized these drugs tomorrow the mystique
> would be gone, the criminal involvement the day after, and many of the addicts
> a few years from now:

Legalizing drugs will make them part of our history just as tobacco and alcohol
are now.  The drugs could be so interwoven into our society that no matter how
much damage they caused, there would never be any chance of getting rid of them,
just as there is no chance of getting rid of tobacco and alcohol.  These are
vices that society will be forever burdened with.  You believe that drug
usage will go down if they are legalized.  On what evidence do you base this
assupmtion?  What if you are wrong?  Imagine a pack of crack costing less
than a pack of cigarettes such that every curious kid in the nation can easily
satisfy their curiosity, and get hooked in doing so. Unlike alcohol and tobacco,
quite a few drugs will get you hooked in days rather than years.

ray

Legalizing dangerous chemical substances does not render them less dangerous.

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (09/30/86)

> [Terry Grevstad]
> One small question here:  Some drugs taken often seem to make it
> virtually impossible for a person to hold a job.  It seems to me,
> therefore, that even if drugs were cheap, there would still be some
> stealing for drug money, because the addicted persons wouldn't be able
> to work.  (In case you didn't notice, I'm not talking about the casual
> user or the social user, but the hard-core, can't-live-without-it
> addict.)
--------------
I can't live without food (and chocolate -) ), however, I have yet
to steal to get either one.   There may be some drugs which, by their
very nature, make it impossible for the heavy user to hold a job,
but heroin and cocaine are not among them.  Legalization would
greatly reduce the stealings and muggings for drug money, and
the official corruption caused by drug money.  Of course,
legalization has its price.   The social costs of legal alcohol
and tobacco, due to their widespread use and lack of associated
social stigma, far exceed those of illegal drugs.  Legalization
would solve one set of problems, and make worse another set of
problems.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (09/30/86)

In article <720@nrcvax.UUCP>, terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:

> One small question here:  Some drugs taken often seem to make it
> virtually impossible for a person to hold a job.  It seems to me,
> therefore, that even if drugs were cheap, there would still be some
> stealing for drug money, because the addicted persons wouldn't be able
> to work.  (In case you didn't notice, I'm not talking about the casual
> user or the social user, but the hard-core, can't-live-without-it
> addict.)

	Well for one thing, it would be cheaper, so they would not have
to steal as much.

	If the life of Dr. Steward Halsted, one of the founders
of the John Hopkins Hospital, is any indication, large doses of
morphine (and therefore heroin--di-acetyl morphine breaks down into morphine
in 20 minutes or so), is not incompatible with holding a job.  Alcohol is
incompatible with holding most jobs, at least in excess.    How much
crime in our society is a result of people stealing to support their
alcohol habit?

--
scc!steiny

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (09/30/86)

> One small question here:  Some drugs taken often seem to make it
> virtually impossible for a person to hold a job.

A good example of such a drug is alcohol.  Do alcoholics steal?
Probably yes, but less than other addicts, as they need less money
to support their habits.
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) (09/30/86)

In article <1313@trwrb.UUCP> suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) writes:
>In article <8591@duke.duke.UUCP> rjn@duke.UUCP (R. James Nusbaum) writes:
>>>	I don't have to.  The principle is, if you have two problems
>>>	on your hands, should you acquire a third one if you don't
>>>	have to?
>>>
>I still stand by the above paragraph.
>>>	But for starters, I don't think that tobacco users have
>>>	to steal to support their "habit".  Similar for alcohol
>>>	users.
>I've been somewhat convinced by the arguments that illegal substances
>cost way more than they would if available legally.
>>>
>	Try this one.  The majority of people that drink "socially"
>	can enjoy the pleasures of alcohol without becoming addicted,
>	damaging their lives, etc.  Do the majority of cocaine users
>	follow the same pattern?  Or do almost all of them become
>	abusers?  The principle that I advance is the addictive
>	power of the various substances under discussion.
>--
>Maurice Suhre
>
>{decvax,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre

Somehow my name was include in Maurice's posting although I couldn't find
any text from my posting in it.  Anyway I will answer this one.

It is obvious that you do not know any drug users (notice I didn't say
abusers).  There are literally millions of casual drug users in this
country.  They use drugs in exactly the same way as people use alcohol.
I personally know at least 50 people who are regular cocaine users.
Most of them have been using cocaine for at least 10 years.  They are
well educated (many have graduate degrees), employed in good jobs, and
in excellent physical shape.  The reason you don't hear about these
kind of people in the media is because they are afraid to be open about
their use.  Let me describe to you the way many people who use drugs in
this country have to live.  First of all, never ever admit to someone
that you use drugs unless you know that person extremely well or you know
that they also use drugs.  Second, you basically only socialize with 'safe'
people.  Safe people are those who you are absolutely sure have liberal
attitudes about drugs.  The reason you have to live this way is because
of the attitudes of people like you, Maurice.  Too many people in this
country automatically assume that if you use cocaine (or even pot) that
you must be some kind of degenerate criminal.  The media hype has only
made this worse.

I wish I could go into more detail about specific people and my personal
experiences, but I can't.  The dangers of admitting drug use or identifying
someone as a drug user are too great.  In my experience though, the majority
of illegal drug users do not go on to become abusers any more than the
majority of legal drug users go on to become abusers.

Note:  I cannot speak for crack users.  I have heard that this form of
coke is tremendously addictive.  As it has not penetrated to many parts
of the country I do not have any personal experience with this drug.

Jim Nusbaum

--
R. James Nusbaum, Duke University Computer Science Department,
Durham NC 27706-2591. Phone (919)684-5110.
CSNET: rjn@duke        UUCP: {ihnp4!decvax}!duke!rjn
ARPA: rjn%duke@csnet-relay

gabor@qantel.UUCP (Gabor Fencsik@ex2642) (10/01/86)

The truly bizarre thing about the Reagan administration going berserk over
the drug issue is that the drug trade is, on the whole, an instance of the
type of economic activity that all good Reaganites should approve of.  We have
cut income transfer payments from the middle class to the ghettos and from the
rich nations to the Third World on the assumption that private initiative is
going to deliver the goods,  amply replacing the lost welfare and foreign aid.
And this is precisely what happened: the drug trade is transferring tens
of billions from the suburbs to the inner cities and from the North to the
barrios in South America.   It's all private initiative, marketing savvy,
inventiveness and risk-taking -- so what's the problem?   Since we made the
Thirld World into a net exporter of capital to the U.S.  [their interest
payments to international banks are exceeding new loans by something like
30 billion per year] - all that money has got to come from somewhere, no?

-----
Gabor Fencsik                  {ihnp4,dual,lll-crg,hplabs}!qantel!gabor

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (10/02/86)

In article <720@nrcvax.UUCP> terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
>One small question here:  Some drugs taken often seem to make it
>virtually impossible for a person to hold a job.  It seems to me,
>therefore, that even if drugs were cheap, there would still be some
>stealing for drug money, because the addicted persons wouldn't be able
>to work.

I can't see how it would be any much different from people so addicted
to alcohol that they can't work.  You don't see much crime in support
of that habit (even here, where the price of liquor is priced ridiculously
high by the provincial Govt. (2 to 3 times that in the states)).  Often
welfare is enough to keep them in booze.  Besides, they've probably destroyed
themselves so thoroughly that they're unable to commit robberies of anybody
sober enough to have any money...  The worst they usually do is clutter
up the parks/mess up the sidewalks...  Even so, I'd chose that over prohibition
any day.
--

In article <21165@rochester.ARPA> ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) writes:
>In article <135@spectrix.UUCP>, clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>>
>> You walked right into this one - they did murder and steal for alcohol
>> during prohibition.  An extremely strong case can be made that the
>> damage to society (crime, health costs etc) of a drug of any sort
>> is *higher* when the drug is illegal.
>>
>We all know the damage that alcohol currently does to our society.  I doubt
>500,000 people annualy were killed or seriously wounded during prohibition.

I assume you're primarily talking about DWI.

500,000 are *not* being killed or seriously injured annually by alchol.
You're off by at least an order of magnitude - the numbers are more like
50,000 - which I believe is actually the current *total* US highway carnage
rather than just DWI.  (It's about 5,000 in Canada)  Further, there is
some pretty strong indication (eg: the Texaco driver ed. program) that
DWI accidents don't happen strictly because the driver is drunk, but
that usually the driver was a really bad driver to begin with and alcohol
was usually only a minor factor.  I believe that some studies in Alberta
and the US showed this interesting result.  Further, illness attributable
to alcohol is somewhat less.

However, even disregarding the previous paragraph (except for the corrected
fatality figure), take into account:

	1) population increase
	2) demographic differences
	3) social differences (people are more likely to try different things
	   now)

that the numbers wouldn't be all that different.

>Legalizing drugs will make them part of our history just as tobacco and alcohol
>are now.  The drugs could be so interwoven into our society that no matter how
>much damage they caused, there would never be any chance of getting rid of them,
>just as there is no chance of getting rid of tobacco and alcohol.

No chance?  What's happening now?  The incidence of DWI is dropping pretty
fast here, what with the high legal penalties for DWI offences plus
other non-governmental programs.  Most people are becoming far more aware
(and perhaps mature) about what alcohol does *without* having to ban
it from the vast majority who already are "handling it safely".

Even more so with tobacco - unless I miss my guess completely, I strongly
suspect that smoking will be virtually extinct in 10 years.  Again, without
banning it.  Because: (a) virtually everybody knows it's dangerous, and
(b) because the rest of society makes you feel pretty damn stupid about
doing it.

If the more dangerous drugs were made legal:

	1) the mystique would be lost, and people would be more willing
	   to believe the warnings about them.  Especially since they're
	   *far* more dangerous and the results a lot more direct.
	2) You could get treated for drug addiction with less loss of
	   self-esteem than for alcohol (the latter is considered to be
	   more a "voluntary" addiction)
	3) You could get treated for addiction without being arrested.
	4) The people who make enormously large profits by pushing the
	   crap at others will go elsewhere.

>Legalizing dangerous chemical substances does not render them less dangerous.

On an individual basis no.  But society wide, perhaps.
--

In article <15844@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> jwl@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (James Wilbur Lewis) writes:
>>Verbum sat sapienti est.
>I don't speak Latin. What are you saying?
>>Zdenek Radouch
>Jim Lewis

Jim, I think he's trying for and almost saying, "A word to the wise
is sufficient."  Looks like some of the modern abbreviation that
folks do to this kind of phrase.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)

suhre@trwrb.UUCP (Maurice E. Suhre) (10/02/86)

In article <746@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:
	...lots of previous stuff deleted...
>Alcohol is
>incompatible with holding most jobs, at least in excess.
	This is true in some sense.  However, there are an awful
	lot of "functional" alcoholics walking around out there
	gainfully employed.
>How much
>crime in our society is a result of people stealing to support their
>alcohol habit?
	Hard to estimate, but assuming that you consume a quart of
	hard liquor a day (this is my estimate from listening to AA
	stories), the cost is about $8-10.  Contrast this with the
	cost of supporting a cocaine or heroin habit.  Assuming that
	alcoholics and addicts are both stealing, who is stealing the
	most?
--
Maurice Suhre

{decvax,sdcrdcf,ihnp4,ucbvax}!trwrb!suhre

prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens) (10/03/86)

(Reply to Ray, but as usual everyone else is addressed and welcome to
respond. References to relevant studies welcome, especially if any exist
that would help predict effect of *marijuana* legalization/decriminalization).

< Kinda long, and more a statement than a reply >

In article <1805@curly.ucla-cs.ARPA> ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) writes:
>In article <135@spectrix.UUCP>, clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>>
>> You walked right into this one - they did murder and steal for alcohol
>> during prohibition.  An extremely strong case can be made that the
>> damage to society (crime, health costs etc) of a drug of any sort
>> is *higher* when the drug is illegal.
>>
>We all know the damage that alcohol currently does to our society.  I doubt
>500,000 people annualy were killed or seriously wounded during prohibition.

Ray, please include sources for shocking statistics like this, as a matter
of etiquette.  However, I have a figure from the Readers Digest Almanac for
alcohol related *fatalities* at 96 K, mostly their own from related illnesses,
accidents (20K per year traffic, and nearly as many in *other* accidents),
and suicides.  500 K/year *injured or* killed in alcohol related accidents
and incidents may or may not be a little high; where did you get the figure,
please?

>So much for your extremely strong case.  In the paper this morning, a headline
>Again, so much for your extremely strong case.  Try convincing that family
>about the safety of legalizing dangerous chemical substances.

Try convincing the families of people who died in the Mexicana jet crash that
planes are safe... dramatic, but more heat than light.  See below.

>Legalizing drugs will make them part of our history just as tobacco and alcohol
>assupmtion?  What if you are wrong?  Imagine a pack of crack costing less
>than a pack of cigarettes such that every curious kid in the nation can easily
>satisfy their curiosity, and get hooked in doing so. Unlike alcohol and tobacco,
>quite a few drugs will get you hooked in days rather than years.

Well, I don't agree with some of the things Chris said, but there's no need
to try to shock him or us with ad-absurdum arguements, ie taking your own
version of what he has said and inflating it into National Enquirer style
headlines.

My own suggestion would be to determine which currently illegal drugs, if any,
would help *replace* alcohol as our national recreational drug *without*
causing more problems than those solved by the reduced use (not prohibition)
of alcohol.

This may be naive on my part, to think that such drugs exist.  But let's
think about it.  We can start by eliminating some candidates from our
discussion.  Crack apparently is much worse than alcohol.  Heroin I'm not
so sure of, but I wouldn't encourage its use.  Cocaine I don't really know
enough about, but I suspect it isn't a good candidate.  Speed can't replace
alcohol, not the same appeal.

Ganja is the only major candidate I can see.

No, pot is *NOT* absolutely safe.  *Heavy* use will cause many of the same
problems as habitual tobacco smoking.  Use while driving or operating heavy
equipment *could* be as bad as alcohol *if* the intoxication is maximal.
But in practice, most people who use marijuana now do not get that "looped"
habitually, and I suspect that the patterns of usage would evolve in ways
that would not be causing tens of thousands of extra automobile fatalities
per year, and that the combined toll from alcohol and pot together would
actually decline significantly (*after* the first few years of adjustment).

Of course, this is mere speculation, I have no scientific studies to support
my proposal.  And my view may be prejudiced by my experience with marijuana
which was much weaker than I hear is available now.  But I am not just saying
this to weaken Ray's argument that "Alcohol is horrible, 'drugs' must be even
worse; it's too late to prohibit alcohol, but not too late to prohibit
'drugs'"; I think that argument is weak enough already.

I am concerned (but not hysterical) about alcohol abuse.  I sincerely believe
that there is a very good chance that legal and widely available marijuana
(not so sure about any of the other drugs) would reduce alcohol abuse effects
more than it would add pot abuse effects, in terms of traffic deaths and
injuries, health effects (more cancer, but less cirrosis), loss of employment
(pot is *relatively* non addicting, but also remains in blood longer),
broken homes (pot makes you lazy, alcohol causes violence...oversimplified,
of course...).  Particularly coupled with a public campain to *replace*
alcohol with pot, similar to present campains to quit smoking, or to not
drive while drunk.

I may be wrong about the tradeoffs, but it's worth looking into.  Remember to
seperate the two questions I raise:

1) *if* the tradeoff is as I say, does it justify *some* ills getting worse in
   order for larger ones to decrease?  (philosophical, abstract question)

2) *would* the tradeoff be positive, or would we just have *even more*
   intoxicated drivers, absenteeism at work, and various alleged side-effects
   of pot such lowered scholarship, lowered sex drive, docility in the face
   of insane right wing politicians....

I *don't* claim to know the correct answer to '2', but I think it probable
enough to be worth investigating.

('1' is not subject to proof, it is a value judgement.  My choise obviously
is in favor of "the greater good", in this example; not in all concievable
"greater good" examples.  I think a spate of hypothetical unrelated counter
examples would be highly redundant; everyone's already heard them, so just
state your stand if you disagree with '1'.  '2' is more interesting, and
substantitive discussion is possible, if not likely).

And what if legalizing pot only puts a small (net) dent in the alcohol death-
toll, say 10%?  That would be about 9 or 10 thousand lives per year.  About
200 per state.  About 4 per state per week, at the level of effect I have
arbitrarily chosen.  Many of them teenage drivers, no doubt.

Perhaps some state should become a laboratory for this experiment.  (I hear
Alaska has decriminalized pot, but I haven't heard of any social pressure
to *replace* alcohol with pot, so the experiment I'm talking about has not
been done yet).

Needless to say, special restrictions applicable to some professions, such
as pilots, bus drivers, truckers; may require some sort of drug test, much
as I dislike them for general population.  Comparable to breath test for
alcohol (but I'm concerned about reports that current tests are sensitive
to pot smoked several days earlier, or secondary smoke from a concert.  I
am not aware of any effort to determine an "acceptable" blood level, as for
alcohol; the effort has been on detecting *any* THC, as far as I know.)

Pardon me, folks, for going on so long.  But alcohol abuse *is* killing even
more people than cars are (and half of the people in car crashes):

	<<< About one every 5 or 6 minutes in the US, on average.  >>>

(Pretty good chance some have died while you've been reading this article.
Chance of some crack deaths in same period about 1% as high)

This is about two orders of magnitude more serious than the current "epidemic"
of drug use, and I would guess at least a full order of magnitude greater than
would be created (in terms of deaths) if all the illegal recreational drugs were
indeed legalized as some others have been recomending.  (Which is another
number we need to know, but don't).

	- Phil				prs@oliven.UUCP (Phil Stephens)
	 			or:	prs@oliveb.UUCP

cda@entropy.berkeley.edu (10/04/86)

In article <711@qantel.UUCP> gabor@qantel.UUCP (Gabor Fencsik) writes:
<The truly bizarre thing about the Reagan administration going berserk over
<the drug issue is that the drug trade is, on the whole, an instance of the
<type of economic activity that all good Reaganites should approve of.

The latest economic report shows that California's economy is in trouble...
I guess CAMP has nearly succeeded in eliminating our number one cash crop,
leaving nothing but defense spending to keep our state afloat.  In spite of
all their libertarian rhetoric, I suspect that this is exactly what the
Reaganites had in mind all along.

Charlotte Allen

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (10/06/86)

In article <2519@ihlpg.UUCP>, tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) writes:
> There may be some drugs which, by their
> very nature, make it impossible for the heavy user to hold a job,
> but heroin and cocaine are not among them.

Heroin and cocaine are among them, especially in heavy cocaine use causing
impaired mental capacities.

ray

In article <3707@hplabsb.UUCP>, piety@hplabsb.UUCP (Bob Piety) writes:

> Now look around at the people you know who DON'T use drugs.  WHY don't they
> use them?  Because they can't get them?  Because they can't afford them?
> NO!!!  Most people don't use drugs because they understand the risks of taking
> them.

Over 50% of high-schoolers are using or have tried various drugs.  So it would
appear that MOST people in a certain age group do use or have tried drugs, and
the usage of certain drugs by this age group is increasing.

ray

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (10/08/86)

In article <55@oliveb.UUCP> prs@oliven.UUCP (Philip Stephens) writes:
>In article <1805@curly.ucla-cs.ARPA> ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) writes:
>>In article <135@spectrix.UUCP>, clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:

Thanks for coming up with some more recent statistics plus your other
comments, even though,

>Well, I don't agree with some of the things Chris said, but there's no need
>to try to shock him or us with ad-absurdum arguements, ie taking your own
>version of what he has said and inflating it into National Enquirer style
>headlines.

(which "some" by the way?  We sound generally in agreement - I wouldn't
really want to see *all* drugs made legal).

Question though, since you do seem to have some recent statistics handy,
do they give any indication of the number of deaths due to *use* of drugs and
the number of deaths due to the *traffic* (eg: drug industry crime) in drugs?

It would really be interesting to see a comparison between:
	1) the dollar cost of treating drug addiction/drug use illness versus
	   enforcement costs, addiction-originated property theft, and
	   other because-it's-illegal costs (eg: digging bullets out of
	   pushers).
	2) the number of deaths due to the use of drugs versus the number
	   of deaths due to the drug *trade*.
	3) the number of people injured due to the use of drugs versus
	   injuries due to the drug *trade*.

Heck, I betcha there're more people killed annually on Miami Vice than die
annually due to the use of drugs!  ;-)
--

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (10/08/86)

--
Oh, come on, Ray.  No doubt some percentage of heavy heroin and
cocaine users cannot hold jobs, but many do.  Ray, you are saying
that NO heavy users hold jobs.  Ha. Ha.
	I'm sure that, given your sense of values, you are not a
heavy cocaine user.  Your impairment must come from something else.
	I don't know why I got involved in this debate, anyway,
since I am not even sure which side I am on.  The benefits of
the decriminalization of drug use are obvious to anybody who
has given the matter any thought - an enormous reduction in
violent crime and official corruption, and some sort of quality
control on the product.  The costs of decriminalization are
simply that when drugs are cheap and legal (i.e. alcohol and
tobacco), more people will tend to use them.  I'm aware that
the heavy use of alcohol and tobacco is historically ingrained
and not merely a result of their legality.  However, the social
costs of having still more drugs so deeply ingrained would be
enormous.  I don't give the "replacement" argument much credence.
Marijuana will not replace alcohol.  In general, people who use
drug X are more likely to use drug Y than those who do not use
drug X, for almost any X and Y.
	I think that the fact that the legal drugs are
so much more costly to society than the illegal ones is a strong
argument for keeping most illegal drugs illegal.  The only fear
that I have about this is that in the periodic bouts of anti-drug
hysteria (such as the present one) we will lose permanently
some of our precious freedoms.  I would rather have drugs sold
openly in candy stores than have that happen.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (10/08/86)

In article <55@oliveb.UUCP>, prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens) writes:
> >We all know the damage that alcohol currently does to our society.  I doubt
> >500,000 people annualy were killed or seriously wounded during prohibition.
>
> Ray, please include sources for shocking statistics like this, as a matter
> of etiquette.  However, I have a figure from the Readers Digest Almanac for
> alcohol related *fatalities* at 96 K, mostly their own from related illnesses,
> accidents (20K per year traffic, and nearly as many in *other* accidents),
> and suicides.  500 K/year *injured or* killed in alcohol related accidents
> and incidents may or may not be a little high; where did you get the figure,
> please?

  The figures I've seen quoted quite consistently for DWI incidences are:
25,000 killed yearly, with another 500,000 seriously injured.  I've
seen some reports that put the injury figure at 900,000.
Why didn't the article from Readers Digest also in addition to the fatality
figure also quote the injury figure in DWI incidences?
  Anyone I've ever known who was involved with pot ALWAYS used alcohol to 'top'
off their high.  You argue that the legalization of pot may reduce the use
of alcohol, but first hand experience shows this to be a most unlikely oc-
curance.

ray

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) (10/09/86)

> You argue that the legalization of pot may reduce the use
> of alcohol, but first hand experience shows this to be a most unlikely oc-
> curance.
>
> ray

QUICK, CALL THE NARCS!  Ray uses drugs and alcohol (why else would he
want to parade around in his jock strap).
--
     Jerry Natowitz (HASA - A division)
     Bell Labs
     HR 2A-214
     201-615-5178 (no CORNET yet)
     ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin (official)
     ihnp4!opus!jin         (better)

     Be hair or be square.

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (10/12/86)

> [Chris Lewis]
> It would really be interesting to see a comparison between:
> 	1) the dollar cost of treating drug addiction/drug use illness versus
> 	   enforcement costs, addiction-originated property theft, and
> 	   other because-it's-illegal costs (eg: digging bullets out of
> 	   pushers).
> 	2) the number of deaths due to the use of drugs versus the number
> 	   of deaths due to the drug *trade*.
> 	3) the number of people injured due to the use of drugs versus
> 	   injuries due to the drug *trade*.
---------------------------
Such comparisons may be interesting and informative, but they are the
wrong comparisons to make if the issue to be decided is the legal status
of a drug.  The correct comparisons are:
	1) the dollar cost of treating illegal drug addiction/drug use illness
	   PLUS enforcement costs, addiction-originated property theft, and
 	   other because-it's-illegal costs (eg: digging bullets out of
 	   pushers) VERSUS the dollar cost of treating (presumably more
	   widespread) drug addiction/drug use illness if the same drugs were
	   legal.
 	2) the number of casualties due to the use of illegal drugs
	   PLUS the number of casualties due to the drug *trade* VERSUS
	   the number of casualties due to the (presumably more widespread)
	   use of the same drugs if made legal.

In short, even if the "drug *trade* problem" is more costly than the
"drug problem", it is by no means obvious that legalization would lower the
total cost.  One only has to observe that the most costly drugs to society
are the legal ones.
	How much would the usage of heroin, cocaine, etc. increase if they
were legal and cheap?  Without an answer to this question, we are nowhere.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan