[net.music] Steve Howe

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (11/29/85)

In article <182@rdlvax.UUCP> salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) writes:
>Let me give you an example of mediocrity, coming from some of the top rated
>progressive musicians of the past: Asia. That's the ultimate in mediocre,
>boring, commercial rock.

   Agreed.

>Steve Howe (though he is no longer in the band)?

   Steve Howe isn't with Asia any longer?  Does anybody know what he's doing?
I've long been an admirer of his guitar-playing (especially since he was
voted Best Overall Guitarist 169 years running in Guitar Player magazine,
which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the greatest :-).  In
the old Yes days, when Anderson's lyrics got too silly, and Wakeman's
synth too overblown, I could still rely on Howe's guitar (and Squire's
bass) to keep my interest.  It'd be nice if he could find a band that
would use his talent better than Asia did (or didn't).  That is, if he
isn't washed up, like some former super-group guitarists these days (just
kidding, lp102911; see? ===> :-).

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

Stayed tuned to find out whether there really *were* 102910 other Larry
Palena's...

giorgi@sjuvax.UUCP (John Giorgi) (12/03/85)

Steve Howe is not washed up. He has formed a new group with Steve Hackett
(formerly of Genesis) The band's name is GTR (short for guitar)

They should have an album out in early Spring '86.

GTR should use Howe's and Hackett's talents better than anybody else.
Since these two good guitarists are in charge.

Definitely an album worth waiting for... (although I might regret
saying that later )

wilson_3@h-sc1.UUCP (bradford wilson) (12/06/85)

> Steve Howe is not washed up. He has formed a new group with Steve Hackett
> (formerly of Genesis) The band's name is GTR (short for guitar)
>
> They should have an album out in early Spring '86.
>
> GTR should use Howe's and Hackett's talents better than anybody else.
> Since these two good guitarists are in charge.
>
> Definitely an album worth waiting for... (although I might regret
> saying that later )

         I agree that this could be a potentially great matchup! I
especially enjoyed Hackett's work with Genesis and his own "Voyage
of the Acolyte". Howe's solo work seems to need more guidance, and
perhaps this collaboration is just what he needs. I only hope they
get some other decent musicians to help out, like maybe Chris Squire
or Tony Levin on bass and a good drummer or drum machine (I just
hope they don't go entirely synth-electronic for their backup).

                    Waiting breathlessly for the new Gabriel LP,

                         The Wombat .:.
--------------------------
"He who knows love knows who you are; worlds you may find lit by a star."
                                                                   -- Hackett

giorgi@sjuvax.UUCP (John Giorgi) (12/09/85)

In article <812@h-sc1.UUCP> wilson_3@h-sc1.UUCP writes:
>> Steve Howe is not washed up. He has formed a new group with Steve Hackett
>> (formerly of Genesis) The band's name is GTR (short for guitar)
>>
>> GTR should use Howe's and Hackett's talents better than anybody else.
>> Since these two good guitarists are in charge.
>>
>         I agree that this could be a potentially great matchup! I
>especially enjoyed Hackett's work with Genesis and his own "Voyage
>of the Acolyte". Howe's solo work seems to need more guidance, and
>perhaps this collaboration is just what he needs. I only hope they
>get some other decent musicians to help out, like maybe Chris Squire
>or Tony Levin on bass and a good drummer or drum machine (I just
>hope they don't go entirely synth-electronic for their backup).

From an interview I heard with Steve Howe and Steve Hackett on a local
radio station. The group will consist of these two guitarists plus
a drummer and a bass player. Sorry, I can't remember their names.

So, it seems that guitars will be the main influence. Thus the choice
of the name GTR. So don't worry about any "synth-electronic" backup.
All backup is provided by REAL musicians.

John Giorgi

Saint Joseph's University   Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

{allegra | astrovax | bpa | burdvax}!sjuvax!giorgi

giorgi@sjuvax.UUCP (John Giorgi) (12/09/85)

>In article <812@h-sc1.UUCP> wilson_3@h-sc1.UUCP writes:
>>> Steve Howe is not washed up. He has formed a new group with Steve Hackett
>>> (formerly of Genesis) The band's name is GTR (short for guitar)
>>>
>>> GTR should use Howe's and Hackett's talents better than anybody else.
>>> Since these two good guitarists are in charge.
>>>
>>         I agree that this could be a potentially great matchup! I
>>especially enjoyed Hackett's work with Genesis and his own "Voyage
>>of the Acolyte". Howe's solo work seems to need more guidance, and
>>perhaps this collaboration is just what he needs. I only hope they
>>get some other decent musicians to help out, like maybe Chris Squire
>>or Tony Levin on bass and a good drummer or drum machine (I just
>>hope they don't go entirely synth-electronic for their backup).
>>
>From an interview I heard with Steve Howe and Steve Hackett on a local
>radio station. The group will consist of these two guitarists plus
>a drummer and a bass player. Sorry, I can't remember their names.
>
>So, it seems that guitars will be the main influence. Thus the choice
>of the name GTR. So don't worry about any "synth-electronic" backup.
>All backup is provided by REAL musicians.

Sorry for the mistake in the above article. I seem to have left out an
important aspect of Howe's and Hackett's new band. In addition to the
3 guitarists and 1 drummer, there is a fifth member. I forgot about
the vocalist. This makes it a five-piece band.