[net.graphics] NAPLPS decoder: list of vendors, etc.

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (02/18/85)

In article <16100002@hplabs.UUCP> iles@hplabs.UUCP writes:
>Have you gotten any response to this?  I am interested in NAPLPS decoders also.
>
>Michelle Lassagne, Hewlett Packard

From seismo!harvard!ijs Tue Jan 22 17:39:35 1985

DEC offers a NAPLPS package for its VMS video workstation, but I
am interested in possibly using NAPLPS as a device independent
intermediate language for some of our unix graphics applications.
We have nothing yet, but are interested if you find something.
Anyhow, the S at the end is for NAPLP Syntax.

From seismo!harvard!hound!han Wed Jan 30 15:46:31 1985

I presume that you're looking for a public domain (i.e., free) NAPLPS
Decoder software package.  Otherwise, there are quite a few NAPLPS
packages available commercially with prices in the range of $100-$200.
Videolog themselves offer one for $150.

Most of those packages for the IBM-PC compatibles however (with the
exception of the Videolog's package) are implemented to work with
high-resolution graphic adapters (e.g., Plantronic's Color-Plus) which
cost at least another $400. If one's PC already has a regular color
graphic adapter card, one would be quite reluctant to shell out money
to get a higher-quality card.

Also, I have found out that high quality cards make very pretty graphic
display, but the graphic display even in monochrome is quite acceptable
(I tried this by hooking a monochrome display to my high-resolution
graphic card).  It seems then that a NAPLPS decoder that works with
regular color graphic cards, e.g., the standard IBM color graphic
adapter, would be quite attractive. Thus, I myself am looking for one
of these -- but so far without any luck.  The Videolog package, I was
told, only implements a subset of NAPLPS features, thus you might not
be able to use it to access videotex databases such as Viewtron in
Florida.
By the way, the complete specification for NAPLPS can be obtained from
ANSI Sales Office in NY City (the document is titled X3.110-1983).
There are also some good tutorial articles around:  in the MicroSystems
Journal July issue last year, and also in the IEEE Journal on Selected
Areas in Communications February issue of 1983.

From seismo!harvard!hound!han Thu Jan 31 12:19:46 1985

I doubt that any of the NAPLPS Decoder packages currently on the market
is also available in source-code form (at least not in the few hundreds
of $$$ range).  You can call up and check with the various vendors (the
July'84 issue of MicroSystems Journal I mentionned before also has a
survey article on various packages which lists addresses and phone
numbers of the vendors).

AT&T Consumer-Products also has a NAPLPS Decoder which was originally
developed for the Sceptre(R) videotex terminal and recently rewritten
(cost $100) for their newly announced high-resolution Video Display PC
Adapter card ($495).  We are currently using this package and it works
like a charm.  I don't know whether they would be willing to license
the source code to outside people (we do not have free access to it
ourselves).
Their address: AT&T-CP
	       Electronic Photography and Imaging Center
	       2002 Wellesley Boulevard
	       Indianapolis, Indiana 46219

From spar!decwrl!decvax!allegra!gamma!pyuxww!pyuxv!nvuxr!nvuxb!bob2 Tue Feb  5 02:20:07 1985

	I have found in the February Unix/World the following:

	"Sanford Computer Systems Inc. has introduced Videopro,
claimed to be the only software decoder that transforms a Unix
microcomputer system into a fully interactive NAPLPS terminal.

	"The decoder, which lists for $149, allows a Unix system
user to access any NAPLPS videotext system such as Viewtron,
Keyfax, Gateway, Teleguide, and Grassroots.  It can be configured
to any Unix system on any microcomputer and for any color card.
Because it is not device-dependant, it can also be used with any
resolution screen.

	"For more information contact Sandford Computer Systems,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 416/962-3828."
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken