[net.graphics] need reference books on solids modeling

warner@orca.UUCP (Ken Warner) (04/12/85)

[BUGFOOD]
Can any one give me a pointer to books on solids modeling and/or
ray tracing? What books are the "bibles" in this field?

Ken Warner
...{ucbvax,decvax}!tektronix!orca!warner

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (04/16/85)

In article <1441@orca.UUCP> warner@orca.UUCP (Ken Warner) writes:
>Can any one give me a pointer to books on solids modeling and/or
>ray tracing? What books are the "bibles" in this field?

One of the bibles for computational geometry is Faux and Pratt's book,
called "Computation Geometry for Design and Manufacture", published in
the U.K. by Ellis Horwood Limited, and in the U.S. by John Wiley &
Sons.  It is more oriented towards surfaces than solids, though.
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

lmiller@ucla-cs.UUCP (04/20/85)

Faux and Pratt's book is not very easy reading.  John Wiley has just come
out with a super new book, very thorough, on solid modelling.
Unfortunately, the author's name escapes me, but I reviewed a
pre-publication version about 18 months ago, and I recommend it highly.

Larry Miller
UCLA Computer Science Dept.

mouli@cavell.UUCP (Bopsi ChandraMouli) (04/23/85)

The following reference may be of interest to you. I am
posting the abstract of  the papert too so that you can decide(depending
on your needs and interests) whether it is worth searching for.

Geometric Modelling : a survey by A. Baer, C. Eastman and M. Henrion.
Computer Aided Design volume 11 page 253-272.

"Computer programs are being developed to aid the design of
physical systems ranging from individual mechanical
parts to entire buildings or ships. These efforts highlight
the importance of computer models of three deminsional objects.
Issues and alternatives in geometric modelling are discussed and
illustratred with comparisons of 11 existing modelling systems,
in particular coherently- structured models of polyhedral solids
where the faces may be either planar or curved. 4 catogories of
representations are distinguished: data representations that store
full, explicit shape information; definition languages with which
the user can enter descriptions of shapes into the system and
which can constitute procedural represenations; special
subsets of the information produced by application programs; and
conceptual models that define the logical structure of the data
representation and/or definition language."

Bopsi Chandramouli
ihnp4!alberta!cavell!mouli