[net.graphics] Cluster Analysis and raster graphics

roy@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy J. Mongiovi) (05/26/85)

Does anyone know of a procedure (or if it is even possible) for
examining a dot-mapped character and representing it as a sequence
of pen strokes?  Perhaps some form of cluster analysis....
--
Roy J. Mongiovi.	Office of Computing Services.		User Services.
Georgia Institute of Technology.	Atlanta GA  30332.	(404) 894-6163

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) (05/29/85)

In article <430@gitpyr.UUCP> roy@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy J. Mongiovi) writes:
>Does anyone know of a procedure (or if it is even possible) for
>examining a dot-mapped character and representing it as a sequence
>of pen strokes?  Perhaps some form of cluster analysis....

  It's not elegant, but one way is to think of the dot-mapped
characters as a two dimensional array of ones and zeros.  You
can then use a contour mapping (i.e. border followng) algorithm
on the array.
--
Bruce Karsh                           |
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics |

[........]
>Does anyone know of a procedure (or if it is even possible) for
>examining a dot-mapped character and representing it as a sequence
>of pen strokes?  Perhaps some form of cluster analysis....
>
>Roy J. Mongiovi.

I'd like to hear about this one too, and/or any good algorithms for scanning
a dot-matrix for efficent conversion to a 'shape table' (Apple II) also
known as 'incremental line' (NAPLPS) or similar.

Thanx,

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd