[net.graphics] RGB to composite output ?

roth@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/23/85)

CALLING ALL GRAPHICS WIZZERS -----------

How can I take the output (loopthrough) of an RGB monitor and
record it on a VCR? Is there a "black box" available that will
convert RGB to composite so that I can use a standard VCR or
do I need a special VCR? All information /recommendations
appreciated.

Specifics: monitor is a Hitachi HM-3619A 19" color
           with 1280 x 1024 resolution
           claimed bandwidth 45khtz
           RGB in and out via BNC plugs

--
    ARPA:  (now) roth@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) roth@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
    UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!roth

skinner@saber.UUCP (Robert Skinner) (07/01/85)

> CALLING ALL GRAPHICS WIZZERS -----------
>
> How can I take the output (loopthrough) of an RGB monitor and
> record it on a VCR? Is there a "black box" available that will
> convert RGB to composite so that I can use a standard VCR or
> do I need a special VCR? All information /recommendations
> appreciated.
>
> Specifics: monitor is a Hitachi HM-3619A 19" color
>            with 1280 x 1024 resolution
>            claimed bandwidth 45khtz
>            RGB in and out via BNC plugs
>
> --
*** REPLACE THIS sync LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

I know there are black boxes for RGB to composite, but I'm sure its going
to be *expensive* for your specifics.  Composite video uses 525 vertical lines
with a 15.75KHz scanrate, *interlaced*.  Any box that could convert your
video to composite couldn't do it on the fly.  It would have to contain a
full color video memory, so the input and output could be almost totally
asynchronous.  It would also have to do some kind of filtering to compress
1024 lines of information into 525 (or 512).  I'm sure it can be done, but
for what kind of $$$?

Name:	Robert Skinner
Mail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	(408) 945-0518, or 945-9600 (mesg. only)
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!skinner
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!skinner

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (07/01/85)

In article <6105@ucla-cs.ARPA> roth@ucla-cs.UUCP (coupe d`ville) writes:
>How can I take the output (loopthrough) of an RGB monitor and
>record it on a VCR? Is there a "black box" available that will
>convert RGB to composite so that I can use a standard VCR or
>do I need a special VCR? All information /recommendations
>appreciated.
>
>Specifics: monitor is a Hitachi HM-3619A 19" color
>           with 1280 x 1024 resolution
>           claimed bandwidth 45khtz
>           RGB in and out via BNC plugs

Yes, there are boxes that convert RGB to NSTC.  They are called
"encoders".  Check your local video store.  If they don't have them,
they can guide you to a place that does have them.  One manufacturer
of encoders that I know of is Cohu, located, I believe, in San Diego.

However, what kind of video do you have?  Monitor specs are
irrelevant.  It should be 525 lines (486 visible), vertical frequency
60 Hz interlaced, horizontal frequency 15750 Hz, and a video bandwidth
of 4.2 MHz.  If not, get yourself a framestore that can generate
NTSC-compatible video.  Those with 480x640 resolution are a good bet.
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

rbc@houxu.UUCP (R.CONNAGHAN) (07/03/85)

If your into building your own video encoder
Motorola advertised a chip for RGB to NTSC "High Quality" Video.
Requires few external parts.

	MC1377P Video Encoder.

	Motorola 602-897-3874
--