[net.graphics] net.graphics.fractals

rfb@cmu-cs-h.ARPA (Rick Busdiecker) (06/30/85)

I think Michael Rivero's suggestion for a net.graphics.fractals is a really
good idea.  Fractals and relatives of fractals easily represent a large enough
body of information to merit a seperate bboard.

> I think Michael Rivero's suggestion for a net.graphics.fractals is a really
> good idea.  Fractals and relatives of fractals easily represent a large enough
> body of information to merit a seperate bboard.

But do they represent enough *network traffic* to need a separate group?
If the discussion is still going strong in September, and the non-fractal
inhabitants [:-) "sir, my dimensionality is precisely 3" :-)] of net.graphics
are starting to grumble, then it will be time for a new newsgroup.  If it's
just an occasional exchange of messages, it's not worth the network-wide
overhead of a new newsgroup.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

cgoudeseune@watnot.UUCP (Camille Goudeseune) (07/04/85)

>	  However, net.graphics is an ideal forum for trading tips and
>	tricks  on Mountains and those swirly 3D things (which are two
>	completly different functions, incidentally).
>	  Maybe it's time to establish net.graphics.fractals ?

Hear, hear.  I'm a new user of the net, but I've been mucking about with
fractals - especially those "swirly things" - for a few months now, with
the help of Benoit Mandelbrot's book "The Fractal Geometry of Nature."
Just this evening I've managed to send bit-map images to a printronix
printer on our system, so with 2112-by-xxxx resolution I hope to be able
to see whether or not the pascal program I'm using makes any sense.
(It's hard to tell when you're using 1-pixel-per-character decwriters!)
(It's even harder when you try it with a ZX81 - although it costs less,
 and I've managed to print out 256*256 images with its $50 printer, the
 turnaround time is measured in days if the local power utility is nice,
 months otherwise.)  Anyway, once I get some pretty pictures worth letting
the rest of the world know about, I'll post a pascal listing.

				Camille Goudeseune
				2054 Waycross Cres.
				Mississauga, Ont., Canada
				L5K 1H9

magik@wlcrjs.UUCP (Ben Liberman) (07/04/85)

In article <220@cmu-cs-h.ARPA> rfb@cmu-cs-h.ARPA (Rick Busdiecker) writes:
>I think Michael Rivero's suggestion for a net.graphics.fractals is a really
>good idea.  Fractals and relatives of fractals easily represent a large enough
>body of information to merit a seperate bboard.

The current volume on net.graphics would seem to support heavy discussion on
fractals without creating yet another news group so let's get on with it!
Ben Liberman   {ihnp4|ihldt}!wlcrjs!magik