[net.graphics] Image processing <--> Graphics

dmt@mtgzz.UUCP (d.m.tutelman) (07/16/85)

Sounds like an interesting discussion topic.  I'll try a shot at it.

I think of IMAGE PROCESSING as that area of GRAPHICS that concerns itself
with projections (usually 2D) of the REAL WORLD.  (A lot of graphics
work is concerned with SYNTHETIC pictures.)  The sorts of processing
that we're used to considering "image processing" is enhancehent
and/or recognition of what the original real-world object was.

This group tends to deal with COMPUTER GRAPHICS and COMPUTER IMAGE
PROCESSING, but (as Nitin rightly points out) eyeglasses do
image processing of the "enhancement" type, and I know some
advertising types who are "graphics" experts and don't know thing one
about computers.  (This is NOT a proposal to broaden submissions
to this group; MY interests are computer graphics.  Just pointing
out that our use of the language is a little parochial.)

As for net.graphics.image, I agree that we ought to wait until
there are enough postings that there are complaints of clutter.

			Dave Tutelman
			Physical - AT&T Information Systems
				   Holmdel, NJ 07733
			Logical  - ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtgzz!dmt
			Audible  - (201)-834-2895

gyuri@cvl.UUCP (Gyorgy Fekete) (07/19/85)

In article 859  Dave Tutelman writes:

> I think of IMAGE PROCESSING as that area of GRAPHICS that concerns itself
> with projections (usually 2D) of the REAL WORLD.  (A lot of graphics
> work is concerned with SYNTHETIC pictures.)...

    Both CG and IP produce a synthetic image as the final result. I use
synthetic to also cover enhanced/processed/munched-on/any-way-transformed
version of a digitized "real" image. However one there is one fundemental
difference which I like to use when the distinction between CG and IP must
be made (mostly for "political" reasons).
    I tend to talk about IP when the BOTH the source and the
destination of an operation is an image, and CG whenever the source is
a high-level description, such as a geometric model, a descrition of
a function in algorithmic form, an artis's nightmare and so on.
Of course, there are gray areas espeicially in artistic application,
where both real images and "abstract thingamajigs" are used together to
produce the desired effect (But mayge that discussion could warrant the
creation of  net.graphics.art ?)
    Then you maight say, "What about applictaions of IP where the final
result is not necessarily an image but, as Dave writes :"

> ... The sorts of processing
> that we're used to considering "image processing" is enhancehent
> and/or recognition of what the original real-world object was.

    Some people divide this sort of thing from IP with yet another
buzz-term: COMPUTER VISION (CV). These can be recognition programs, printed
circuit board fault checkers, road followers, ...
A very good, although not the most recent collection of technical
papers describing some "PhD winning" vision systems can be found in the
Artificial Intelligence Journal, Vol. 17 (special vision issue).
--
Gyorgy Fekete --- University of MD, Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526

gyuri@cvl.{ARPA,CSNet}

...seismo  \
...allegra +--  !umcp-cs!cvl!gyuri.UUCP
...brl-bmd /