[net.graphics] SIGGRAPH '85 review

mae@weitek.UUCP (Mike Ekberg) (07/30/85)

The following is an informal review of SIGGRAPH '85 held in San Francisco
last week. This review is by no means comprehesive. In fact, it is mostly
subjective!

	BOOTHS
	------
As measured by crowd depth, the following booths were most popular:

	Lucasfilm	- far away the most crowded(Commodores aisle was
			  smaller ...|:-). Demo of the Pixar.

	Commodore	- I never did get close enough to actually see the
			 just released AMIGA.

	GE		- GE's 3-d version of their projection display was a
			  real crowd pleaser.

	Cubicomp	- featured live demos of the Picture Maker 3D system.

	Robert Bosch	- live demo of animation system

	Abel Graphics	- demo of animation system

	OUTFITS
	-------

No question about it, Rob Pikes black and yellow polka dot harem pants!
Second place was the orange Hawaiian prints of the Symbolics people.

shep@datacube.UUCP (08/01/85)

	SIGGRAPH was interesting this year. My "fave rave" was Steve
Gabriel's paper on rotationaly invariant splines. His "physical proof"
of 720 degrees of rotation should have been videotaped. (was it?)

	Here is a question; more of a homework problem: The PIXAR demo
showed a "real-time" 2-D FFT on a 128 * 128 image. It looked more like
10 transforms per second, so let's say it took 100mS to do the transform.
The CHAP (channel processor) board on the wall had 4 29116's, each with
their own 16-bit multiplier. Assuming a 100nS cycle for the 29116,
and free to guess about the PIXAR's internals, how many CHAP boards
were in the system?

	ps: I don't know the answer. I really just want to hear people's
ideas on architectures for novel FFT techniques. The choice of decimating
in time or frequency is some help; but if we assume that the PIXAR has
some high speed -block- access to the image-store, that could be the clue.

	One last SIGGRAPH note. Did everyone attending see the ABEKAS A62
digital disk recorder? It would seem that you "shaded cone heads" would
need something like that to deposit your pictures into. Is this going
to replace the SONY 1" still-frame widget. why/why-not?

Shep Siegel                               ihnp4!datacube!shep
Datacube Inc.                  ima!inmet!mirror!datacube!shep
617-535-6644                  decvax!cca!mirror!datacube!shep
4 Dearborn Rd.       decvax!genrad!wjh12!mirror!datacube!shep
Peabody, Ma. 01960   {mit-eddie,cyb0vax}!mirror!datacube!shep

simsong@mit-eddie.UUCP (Simson L. Garfinkel) (08/05/85)

In article <6700024@datacube.UUCP> shep@datacube.UUCP writes:

>	One last SIGGRAPH note. Did everyone attending see the ABEKAS A62
>digital disk recorder? It would seem that you "shaded cone heads" would
>need something like that to deposit your pictures into. Is this going
>to replace the SONY 1" still-frame widget. why/why-not?
>
>Shep Siegel                               ihnp4!datacube!shep

I don't think so, when write-once video-disks are available now.
Write-once disks video-disks provide approx. 30,000 frame/side and are
virtually indestructable. Why erase when you don't have to?

			Simson L. Garfinkel	  ...ihnp4!mit-eddie!simsong

(BTW: My Compact-Disk File System for write-once compact disks works
with write-once video-disks too! See net.announce for details, or send
me mail).

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (08/06/85)

Someone suggested that write-once video disks would replace the Sony
single-frame 1 inch VTR.  Not yet, at least not in some applications.
The Sony writes standard, broadcast-quality video onto tape.  The Abekas
stores frames and then plays them back in real time for recording on an
ordinary VTR;  I don't know if the Abekas is broadcast-quality but there
certainly are framestores that are.

The write-once video disks are NOT broadcast quality.  Better than half-inch
VTRs probably, but not good enough for commercial video production.