[net.graphics] Image processing/vision net !

shankar@brand.UUCP (Shankar Chatterjee) (08/08/85)

What happened to forming image processing/vision group ? A couple of weeks ago
there was a lot of discussion about it. Are people considering about forming
one seriously ? However, there is no doubt that net.graphics is sometimes
fairly informative, but issues such as image smoothing, filtering, texture
and/or scene understanding etc. might overburden it.

> ... issues such as image smoothing, filtering, texture
> and/or scene understanding etc. might overburden [net.graphics]

So far, there has been no sign of this happening, which is why the issue
of a separate newsgroup was dropped.  "Don't fix it if it ain't broken."
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (08/14/85)

In article <155@brand.UUCP> shankar@brand.UUCP (Shankar Chatterjee) writes:
>What happened to forming image processing/vision group ? A couple of weeks ago
>there was a lot of discussion about it. Are people considering about forming
>one seriously ? However, there is no doubt that net.graphics is sometimes
>fairly informative, but issues such as image smoothing, filtering, texture
>and/or scene understanding etc. might overburden it.

I think there was somewhat of a consensus to hold the image processing
and pattern recognition discussions here in net.graphics, at least
until net.graphics is overburdened with it.  The description in the
checkgroups message should be updated to read:

net.graphics		Computer graphics, art, animation, image processing,
			pattern recognition, and machine vision.

--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken