[net.graphics] CAD Data Base Structures

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (09/17/85)

Since there is no net.cad, I will post this request here.  We have a need
to create a general purpose CAD database.  It will need to contain 2D
graphical information, as well as the data specific to circuit boards.  It
should also be able to contain finite element data.

My question is: what is the state of the art in CAD database structures?
Are there any good publications that I should get a hold of?  We need the
sophistication of a hierarchical structure with the speed and flexibility
of a relational structure.  Any help will be appreciated.
--

Terry Morse  (408)743-1487
{ seismo!nsc!cae780 } | { sun!sunncal } !leadsv!morse

ksbszabo@watvlsi.UUCP (Kevin Szabo) (09/23/85)

>	Query about what database structures would be useful
>	for CAD work.

I suggest reading back issues of IEEE Transactions on CAD and
the last few years proceedings of the Design Automation Conference.

There has been much work in CAD databases in the last few years;
which structure is best for you will be determined by what you are
trying to represent.  Just for you information, a public domain
PCB layout program was distributed on net.sources a few months ago.
You might want to take a look.

			Kevin

--
Kevin Szabo' watmath!watvlsi!ksbszabo (U of W VLSI Group, Waterloo, Ont, Canada)

paul@wcwvax.UUCP (Paul Mahoney) (09/25/85)

From: morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse)
Newsgroups: net.graphics
Subject: CAD Database Structures
Date: 17 Sep 85 21:28:09 GMT

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (09/30/85)

In article <346@wcwvax.UUCP> paul@wcwvax.UUCP (Paul Mahoney) writes:
>Since there is no net.cad, I will post this request here.  We have a need
>to create a general purpose CAD database.  It will need to contain 2D
>graphical information, as well as the data specific to circuit boards.  It
>should also be able to contain finite element data.
>
>My question is: what is the state of the art in CAD database structures?
>Are there any good publications that I should get a hold of?  We need the
>sophistication of a hierarchical structure with the speed and flexibility
>of a relational structure.  Any help will be appreciated.

Pick up a copy of the Electronic Design Interchange Format (EDIF).
It is a well-designed, hierarchical, relational format
with hooks for user extensions.

Contact:
	The EDIF Users' Group
	Design Automation Department
	Texas Instruments
	P.O. Box 225474, MS3668
	Dallas, Texas 75265 USA
--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken