[net.graphics] Info-Graphics Digest

Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-UNIX.ARPA (Info-Graphics moderator Andy Croma (09/08/85)

Info-Graphics Digest	Sun Sep  8 03:00:58 PDT 1985

 - Send submissions to Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix
 - Send requests for list membership to Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix

Today's Topics:

 GKS
 Re: Dvorak and SIGGRAPH (rather long)
 volumetric displays
 Object Descriptions Wanted
 Re: Flight Simulators
 Wanted: Graphics Package for IBM  PC & Mouse
 Re: Computer Vision newsgroup
 Re: Object Descriptions Wanted
 RGB to hue, intenstity, saturation conversion
 Re: Object Descriptions Wanted
 Info-Graphics is on autopilot for September.
 iis soft/hardware under Berkeley Unix.
 Re: Object Descriptions Wanted
 Re: Computer Vision newsgroup
 Scene models for boundary point (edge) detection
 Wanded: Video Overlay Device for IBM PC/VCR
 Re: Image processing articles?

Date: 31 Aug 85 01:33:10 GMT
From: decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!mcvax!ukc!reading!cybavax!mdb@Berkeley  (Mr M D Butcher)
Subject: GKS

        Does anyone know if GKS is available for the IBM PC ?
       Thanks in advance,      Mike Butcher.

------------------------------

From: pur-ee!uiucdcs!convex!waltz!haddock@Berkeley
Date: 26 Aug 85 17:43:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Dvorak and SIGGRAPH (rather long)

	>Please, graphics people, give Dallas a chance.  It's really a nice
	>place.  And please, Siggraph planners, if it's going to be in
	>Dallas, how about late August or late September when it's cooler?
Try late December.... :-)   Late September would be best as this August
has had numerous days at or above 100 degrees.   Admittedly, this has
been an UNUSUALLY warm summer (at least according to the weather people
around here).
                           _____
        -Rusty-         |\/   o \    o
   Texas Instruments    |   (  -<  O o     Where's the fish?
      Dallas, TX        |/\__V__/
ARPA:   Haddock%TI-CSL.csnet@CSNet-Relay.arpa   or  Rusty@Maryland
CSNet:  Haddock@TI-CSL
USENET: {ut-sally, convex!smu, texsun, rice} ! waltz ! haddock

------------------------------

Date: 1 Sep 85 17:54:59 GMT
From: decvax!mcnc!unc!hultquis@Berkeley  (Jeffrey P. Hultquist)
Subject: volumetric displays

  A book, published in '66, mentions a "volumetric display" and
describes such an animal in this way.  Suppose you took a fishtank
and filled it with some phospor with a non-linear excitation response.
You could then pass two lasers through this medium at half the
required triggering intensity, and thus excite any point in this
volume by intersecting the beams.  The book continues to state that
no one had yet done this.
  Questions:  In the past twenty years, has anyone tried to build
such a device?  If so; who, when, where, how, and did they publish
their findings?
				Many thanks.
PS:  Please mail and I will post a summary to the net.
			--- decvax!mcnc!unc!hultquis

------------------------------

Date: 30 Aug 85 23:49:17 GMT
From: sdcsvax!brian@Berkeley  (Brian Kantor)
Subject: Object Descriptions Wanted

Could some kind soul out there in pixel-land send me an object
description or two, in machine readable form?  I'm looking for some
three-D relatively simple objects to play modelling and rendering
experiments with, such as Martin Newell's teapot and the like.
I can send a tape, or use anonymous ftp, or carrier pigeon, or whatever
seems most appropriate.
A thousand thanks!
	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego Computer Graphics Lab
	decvax\ 	brian@ucsd.arpa
	akgua  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc

------------------------------

From: ucla-cs!lmiller@Berkeley
Date: 2 Sep 85 17:14:05 GMT
Subject: Re: Flight Simulators

In article <1112@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) writes:
>Have there been any developments in flight simulators...
>Any comments on what is minimal hardware--
>is an Amiga with its graphics hardware in the ballpark?
During the past 18 months we have been building/writing flight simulators
using IRIS terminals and workstations, primarily for investigating pilot-
aircraft interfaces and expert systems for aircraft and pilot performance.
We've added joysticks, throttles, voice I/O, and lots of tools for rapidly
interacting with the display tables.  The screen resolution is 767x1023, 12
bits per pixel, double buffered (leaving 6 per swappable image, less 2
reserved for certain background images, or 16 colors on the screen at any
one time).  This number of colors is marginally adequate.  The resolution
is fine.  We do a substantial amount of non-graphics calculations per
display loop, so we're updating the image between 5 and 10 times per
second--not quite adequate for smooth motion.  Ten updates per second is
the minimum you'd want.  Obviously, we do lots of tricks to get as much
speed as possible, but other issues are more important now.
We designed and built our own joystick/throttle and interfaces, using one
of the RS-232 ports on the IRIS.  Our joystick is a 9600 baud ASCII device
that sends its x, y and throttle values (using A to D's and an 8008) when
queried by the program.  The joystick itself was obtained from a used
aircraft parts shop, but there are new ones with all the A/D's built in
that are not very expensive.  Or you can go to McFadden controls and get
real simulator hydraulics for 50K each.  Plus an oil change every 1,000 hours.
You will tire of slow, low resolution, poorly modelled flight quickly.  An
IRIS or equivalent (raster tech, chromatics, etc.) with fast graphics
computing is the minimum you will want.  There is still lots of other
computations needed.  The IRIS workstations are in the 40-60 K region, as I
recall.  Aerodynamic simulations can be reasonable with only very simple
models.  It is not necessary to model all the flow equations, since they
turn out to be inaccurate anyhow, and it is the solutions you want.  For
special circumstances, such as ground effect, simple heuristics are best.
By the way, we are interested in hearing from experienced UNIX/C
programmers, with extensive graphics background, who also have a pilot's
license.  The work is being done at ISI.
L. Miller
{lmiller@isi-hobgoblin or lmiller@ucla-locus}

------------------------------

Date: 4 Sep 85 06:48:06 GMT
From: vax135!cornell!uw-beaver!uw-june!entropy!dataio!butler!olivier@Berkeley  (Charles Olivier)
Subject: Wanted: Graphics Package for IBM  PC & Mouse

I am looking for a graphics package for the IBM PC that
contains graphics primatives that can be used with a Hercules
Monochrome Graphics card.
Also does anyone know of a mouse interface for the IBM PC ?
Thanks in advance.
			Charles Olivier
			P.O. Box 2249
			Kirkland Wa 98083
		uucp:	...uw-beaver!{tikal,teltone}!dataio!butler!olivier
		& Email

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 85 06:13:22 GMT
From: decwrl!turtlevax!ken@Berkeley  (Ken Turkowski)
Subject: Re: Computer Vision newsgroup

In article <11307@rochester.UUCP> sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) writes:
>A short time ago there was a discussion of whether there should
>be a group for discussion of image processing/computer vision such as
>net.ai.vision.   ...   Right now such discussion
>is going on in net.graphics.  This results in me n'ing about 75-90%
>of the articles in order to separate out the articles that pertain to
>my research!
When you read through the printed literature on pattern recognition,
don't you also have to weed through articles not pertaining to your
research?
>While many graphics people are interested in computer vision
>many computer vision researchers and experts are not interested in graphics!
>(me for one).  Anyway since it is a field that has hundreds of researchers
>on the net and many people are interested in it I suggest that the
>issue be reopened about whether net.ai.vision should exist.
It is unclear that a subgroup of AI would be the proper group.
Part of vision is concerned with image processing,
the other with pattern recognition.
The mathematics associated with these is substantially dissimilar
that such discussions may not belong in the same group.
The image processing portion is a subset of signal processing,
and who knows what kind of mathematics is used for pattern recognition
(fuzzy set theory? statistics?).
How about net.sigproc or net.signal for discussions about signal processing?
This would include things like
analog and digital filters,
stability,
anti-aliasing,
image processing,
Kalman filters,
parameter estimation,
correlation,
signal theory,
source coding, etc.
What sort of interest is there in such topics?  What techniques are
used in computer vision?  What are the current hot topics?  Who knows?
Who cares?  Of those who care, what are your other interests?  What
sort of catagories make sense to interest a critical mass of people?
Or should there be a mailing list set up for such things?  Kahn at UCLA
has such a mailing list for ARPA-type people, but it has been VERY
inactive.  Lets have some discussion!  David Sher, are you there?  How
about other researchers and hackers?
--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

	[For readers on the ARPANET, there is a Digest named VISION-LIST
	 managed by Tod Levitt.  To request that you be added to that list,
	 send mail to VISION-LIST-REQUEST@AIDS-Unix.ARPA.	-- asc]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Sep 85 15:36:05 GMT
From: decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!gcc-bill!brad@Berkeley  (Brad Parker)
Subject: Re: Object Descriptions Wanted

In article <1074@sdcsvax.UUCP> brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) writes:
>Could some kind soul out there in pixel-land send me an object
>description or two, in machine readable form?  I'm looking for some
>three-D...
I hate "me toos", but I'd like to grab onto anything pass around also!
(some of us don't have ps-2's laying around....)
;-) Thanks.
--
J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

------------------------------

           id a005844; 6 Sep 85 9:57 BST
From: Ralph Martin (on ICF GEC 4090 at Cardiff) <XACF03%geca.cardiff.ac.uk@ucl-cs.ARPA>
Date:    Thu, 5 Sep 85 12:15 BST
Subject: RGB to hue, intenstity, saturation conversion

I would be grateful if anyone can give me some references on how to do this.
Specifically, references to journal articles, especially recent ones,
would be much appreciated.
(I have come up with a scheme for doing this, and want to see how it compares
to other schemes that are already known).
Thanks, Ralph

------------------------------

Date: 6 Sep 85 02:06:20 GMT
From: uwvax!derek@Berkeley  (Derek Zahn)

>Could some kind soul out there in pixel-land send me an object
>description or two, in machine readable form?  I'm looking for some
>three-D...
I hate to sound stupid, but what does that mean?
Object descriptions?  (you mean spheres, the statue of liberty, or what?)
Machine readable form?  Is there some standard machine-readable form I
never noticed?
Also, could you post a summary of your replies to the net?  I am not sure
what you want, but I want it too!
derek
--
Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek

------------------------------

Date: 7 Sep 1985 00:44-PDT
From: Andy Cromarty <Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix>
Subject: Info-Graphics is on autopilot for September.

For a couple weeks in September, the Info-Graphics Digest will be
running completely automated.  Any requests for list membership
additions, deletions, etc. will be delayed for a couple weeks during
that time.  I'll try to handle all requests before 1-Oct-85.

					Andy Cromarty

Date: 5 Sep 85 17:58:38 GMT
From: decvax!mcnc!philabs!scb@Berkeley  (Sean Byrne)
Subject: iis soft/hardware under Berkeley Unix.

Anyone know of the existence of iis software written for berkeley?
I have seen it for VMS (yuk) but I want it to run under Unix.  So,
any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks,
--
USENET-	      ....		Sean Byrne
5 years	    .  /\  .		CSRG, Philips Laboratories

------------------------------

Date: 6 Sep 85 20:16:50 GMT
From: decwrl!spar!turtlevax!ken@Berkeley  (Ken Turkowski)

In article <302@gcc-bill.ARPA> brad@gcc-bill.UUCP (Brad Parker) writes:
>In article <1074@sdcsvax.UUCP> brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) writes:
>>Could some kind soul out there in pixel-land send me an object
>>description or two, in machine readable form?  I'm looking for some
>>three-D...
>
>I hate "me toos", but I'd like to grab onto anything pass around also!
>(some of us don't have ps-2's laying around....)
A year and a half ago, I posted as a Christmas present Frank Crow's
Flexible Image Generation Environment.  Along with the code were posted
some data objects:  If you look in your net.sources archives for
December 1983, you'll find:
tube.std	- a cylinder
tubend.std	- a cone
champagngl.std	- a champagne glass (Phong's?)
icosa_pcl.std	- an icosohedron
icosa_vcl.std	- an icosohedron
trunc_pyr.std	- a truncarted pyramid
chkrbd.std	- a checkerboard
banana.std	- a banana
egg.std		- an egg
klnbtl.std	- a Klein bottle

Date: 7 Sep 85 01:22:57 GMT
From: decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!rochester!sher@Berkeley  (David Sher)

> When you read through the printed literature on pattern recognition,
> don't you also have to weed through articles not pertaining to your
> research?
I never have to avoid billions of articles on graphics, I don't get the
graphics literature because of this.  Most of the pattern recognition
literature has some application to my studies however.

Ken here discusses pattern recognition vs image processing

There is a fine line between patter recognition and image processing.
Much of image processing implicitly is involved in recognizing
patterns in images and enhancing them.  Image enhancement can ease the
job of a pattern recognizer.  As far as the mathematics of pattern
recognition it is a hodgepodge of signal detection theory, information
theory, biological models, and statistical inference.  (I probably
missed some).

> How about net.sigproc or net.signal for discussions about signal processing?
> This would include things like
> analog and digital filters,	X
> stability,			?
> anti-aliasing,		*
> image processing,		*
> Kalman filters,		?
Whats a Kalman filter? What is it for? (I am a converted AI/Logic
person and don't have a very complete knowledge of signal processing.
(I will by the time I finish my thesis though!)) (feel free to mail me
if not of general interest)
> parameter estimation,		*
> correlation,			*
> signal theory,		*
> source coding, etc.		X
>
> What sort of interest is there in such topics?  What techniques are
> used in computer vision?  What are the current hot topics?  Who knows?
> Who cares?  Of those who care, what are your other interests?  What
> sort of catagories make sense to interest a critical mass of people?

I have anotated the list of topics above according to what is relevant
to my picture of computer vision. * means that it is relevant, X means
that it is irrelevant, and ? means I don't know what is refered to.
Some hot topics in computer vision are:
reconstructing the 3D scene from a 2D image : Subtopics
    shape from shading
    shape from optical flow
    deriving optical flow from images
    3D motion from optical flow
    3D motion from a sparse set of correlated points
Evidence theory (combining the output of unreliable operators to get
    reliable results)
Segmentation
Object recognition
Passive Navigation
Models of the human visual system
These are the kinds of topics I have come in contact with here at the
University of Rochester.  I will be glad to post short explanatory
notes (at my convinience of course) explaining the meaning of some of
these obscure names.  There is no doubt much work in computer vision
that is not done according to these topics so if anyone has any
additions let me know.
> Or should there be a mailing list set up for such things?  Kahn at UCLA
> has such a mailing list for ARPA-type people, but it has been VERY
> inactive.  Lets have some discussion!  David Sher, are you there?  How
> about other researchers and hackers?
Possibly the reason for the inactivity has been poor publicity.  I
just heard about it in response to my message!  I think one can send
to this group by mailing to vision@aids-unix but am not sure this is
correct.  I will probably soon send a message to net.graphics and
vision@aids-unix about scene models.
Oh yes, I am here but should be working on my thesis!
> --
> Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
> UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken
> ARPA: turtlevax!ken@DECWRL.ARPA
*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FOOLISHNESS ***
--
-David Sher
sher@rochester

------------------------------

From: decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!rochester!sher@Berkeley
Date: 7 Sep 85 02:48:12 GMT
Subject: Scene models for boundary point (edge) detection

From: David Sher  <sher>
I accidently sent the beginning of this article before it was finished
so if you see an incomplete version of this I apologize.
Anyway, I recently presented a paper to the Workshop on Probability and
Uncertainty in AI on detecting boundary points (like edges but
unoriented) from small windows based on probabilistic scene models.  I
encountered some criticism with regard to the "realism" of my scene
models.  Here is the scene model I used:
1.  Regions (the things the boundaries are about) have no internal
    variation in graylevel (I am using black and white currently).
2.  The noise has no known spacial structure and the probability of
    observing a gray-level at a point with a specified gray-level is
    known.
3.  A small (3x3) window only intersects one boundary at a time or
    no boundary at all.
4.  Only the (3x3) window is relevant to the probability of a
    boundary. (This is the meaning of restricting the operator to a
    window.)
5.  The misregistration is a sufficent problem that the spactial
    structure within the small (3x3) window is not significant.
Using models of this form I directly derived certain near optimal
boundary detectors and analyzed some other simple ones.  The reason I
chose models of this form is the optimal operators vary in complexity
with the complexity of the model and their computational complexity
varies exponentially (intuition not mathematics) with the complexity
of the model.  This puts a large cost on naive analysises with
complex models.  Also this kind of model is close to the models
commonly used by researchers in this area (such as Canny).  I am now
considerring more complex models but am not sure which way to go.
Some possible more general models would:
-   Replace assumption 5 with a description of the possible spacial
    structures of small windows on and off boundaries.
-   Add blur type noise to assumption 2 (I am not sure exactly the
    best way to do this)
-   Replace assumption 1 with an assumption about the reflectance (or
    possible reflectances) of the objects and the sun position
Any suggestions?
By the way I have seen:
%A Leonard P. Wesley
%A Allen R. Hanson
%T The Use of an Evidential-Based Model for Representing Knowledge and Reasoning about Images in the Visions System
%K VISION DEMPSTER SHAFER EVIDENCE PROBABILITY THEORY
%J PAMI
%D Sept 1982
%V 4
%N 5
%P 14-25
%I IEEE
%X Describes how Dempster-Shafer evidence theory is used for interpretation of
a segmented image.   Takes segemented image with statistics about each
segment and binary relationships between segments and applies a known probability
structure to it.
%A David Sher
%T Developing and Analyzing Boundary Detection Operators Using Probabilistic Models
%K VISION PROBABILITY STATISTICS BAYES
%J Workshop on Probability and Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence
%D August 1985
%I ACM,RCA
%X Describes how evidence from boundary detectors can be combined if the
boundary detectors take on a certain form.  This form is to generate
the likelihood of a boundary rather than the probability.  Demonstrates
how boundary detectors of this form can be constructed directly from
a probabilistic model of the image and its boundaries.  Also demonstrates
how an established operator, the gradient, be converted into an operator
of this form.  Discusses what this tells us about the gradient.
%A Hsien-Che Lee
%A King-Sun Fu
%T Generating Object Descriptions for Model  Retrieval
%D Sept 1983
%K VISION SURFACE 3D MODEL
%J PAMI
%V 5
%N 5
%P 462-471
%I IEEE
%X Describes a system to return 3-D information starting with grey level
image.  First pass segments the image according to local grey level information
such as gradients.  Next uses this to select a target area.  Then does edge detection & linking and forms chain codes of edges.  Uses the result
to extract regions with
a slight perference to over fragmentation which will be reversed by
3D information.  Uses shape of regions and regularity constraints like
skew symmetry to derive 3D information.  Picks region whose position
indicates least slant and uses that to further constrain the image.  Like
Waltz filtering but on plane intersections rather than on junctions, thus
more robust.
%A John Francis Canny
%T Finding Edges and Lines in Images
%K VISION EDGE LINE
%D June 1983
%I MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
%R 720
%X I quote from the Conclusion:
%A Vishvjit S. Nalwa
%T On Detecting Edges
%K VISION EDGE
%J Proceedings: Image Understanding Workshop
%D October 1984
%P 157-164
%I Image Processing Techniques Office, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
%X Describes a very good edge detector.  It tries to fit a serries of surfaces
over a window.  If a plane in intensity space fits the window well then it
isn't an edge.  If a model of a step edge fits better than a quadratic surface
then it is an edge.  Determine the depth of the edge from the surface that
was fit to the window.
%A Thomas O. Binford
%T Inferring Surfgaces from Images
%K VISION MODEL SURFACE EDGE
%J Artificial Intelligence
%D August 1981
%V 17
%N 1-3
%P 205-244
%I North-Holland Publishing Company
%C Amsterdam
%X Describes a model of image description.  Gives a set of criterion
for interpretation of various kinds of 3-d edges,lines and discontinuities
within them.  Describes some criterion for edge detectors and a hack
which binford particularly likes.
%A Larry S. Davis
%A Azriel Rosenfeld
%A Steven W. Zucker
%T General Purpose Models: Expectations about the Unexpected
%K VISION MODEL
%D January 1975
%I University of Maryland
%R TR-347
%X Shows a need for models that do not describe specific situations.
Describes some of the features such models might have.  Describes when
such models might be necessary and when they are unnecessary.
General purpose models are applicable even when we have little or no
a priori knowledge about the class of scenes that is to be analyzed.
This work is notably vague.
%A Allen R. Hanson
%A Edward M. Riseman
%T VISIONS: A Computer System for Interpretting Scenes
%K VISION VISIONS HIGH LEVEL MODEL
%D 1978
%P 303-334
%I Academic Press
%B Computer Vision Systems
%E Allen R. Hanson
%E Edward M. Riseman
%C New York
%C San Francisco
%C London
%X Description of high level part of the VISIONS system.  Assumes segmented
images.  works largely by matching segments with similar parts of models.
Matching strategy determined flexibly.  Strategy optimized to model
being matched.  Use of model dependent information emphasized.
Use of knowledge of 3D constraints aeffects also.
%A Dana H. Ballard
%A Chris M. Brown
%A Jerome A. Feldman
%T An Approach to Knowledge-DIerected Image Analysis
%K VISION HIGH LEVEL MODELS
%D 1978
%P 271-282
%I Academic Press
%B Computer Vision Systems
%E Allen R. Hanson
%E Edward M. Riseman
%C New York
%C San Francisco
%C London
%X Describes how a vision system might work.  Introduces the concept
of the sketch map between low level segmentation and high level model.
The system described is query directed.  The system seems to be bottom
up to sketch map and top down to sketch map.
-David Sher
sher@rochester
seismo!rochester!sher
--
-David Sher
sher@rochester

------------------------------

Date: 6 Sep 85 06:28:28 GMT
From: tektronix!uw-beaver!uw-june!entropy!dataio!butler!olivier@Berkeley  (Charles Olivier)
Subject: Wanded: Video Overlay Device for IBM PC/VCR

(For the line eater [if its still around])
Hello,
Does anybody know of any cheap method of doing video overlay with
an IBM PC.  I have an IBM PC and a VCR, and I would like to over
text (& graphics data from my pc). Can this be done cheaply?
Does anyone know of some hardware that can plug into or be attached
to the pc/or VCR to allow overlaying??  I would appreciate any
HELP that I can get.
THANKS in ADVANCE !!
P.S: I am capable of building any hardware and writing
     the required software.

Date: 2 Sep 85 01:26:28 GMT
From: ihnp4!stolaf!umn-cs!srcsip!meier@Berkeley  (Christopher M. Meier)
Subject: Re: Image processing articles?

>>So what happened to the 25-30 people who voted "yes" for the IP group?
>>
>>			{seismo,allegra}!rochester!ur-laser!nitin.uucp
>
>To sum up, I feel there is a hardware difference between IP and CG.
>Most postings to .graphics relate to graphic terminals, graphic
>software, and printer/plotters.  I do agree there should be some
>honest discussion/interest related to image aquisition,
>pre/post-processing, analog video signal processing, (not VCR, Beta, etc.)
>vision systems and real-time scene analysis to warrant the creation of
>net.image.
>		Dean Wormell
I am one of 50+ people who work on image processing at Honeywell.  We are
interested in the creation of net.image for the discussion of image proc.
topics.  I am sure there are other IP groups out there, let's here from
you.
Christopher Meier
Honeywell Systems & Research Center
Signal & Image Processing
ihnp4!umn-cs!srcsip!meier

------------------------------

End of INFO-GRAPHICS
articles were supposedly generated on ARPANET sites, while the other 16
(89%) were generated on USENET.

Net.graphics has been running pretty much autonomously without info-
graphics.  Why does info-graphics now need to be gatewayed back to us?
--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken
ARPA: turtlevax!ken@DECWRL.ARPA

Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-UNIX.ARPA (Info-Graphics moderator Andy Croma (09/15/85)

Info-Graphics Digest	Sun Sep 15 03:00:54 PDT 1985

 - Send submissions to Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix
 - Send requests for list membership to Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix

Today's Topics:

 Info-Graphics / net.graphics
 Re: Wanded: Video Overlay Device for IBM PC/VCR
 Re: Wanded: Video Overlay Device for IBM PC/VCR
 Old post
 Impress to PostScript converter wanted
 Re: Info-Graphics Digest
 Re: Object Descriptions Wanted
 Tandy 2000 MS-dos Pascal
 RE: computer vision newsgroup
 Bay Area SIGGRAPH
 Hitachi 63484 Graphics Controller
 fractal dragon
 PC/AT as graphics-oriented support environment
 New to Newsgroups...
 Foreign Language Technical Material
 GKS for UNIX 4.2
 paper topics
 Need information on a graphics tablet

Date: Mon, 9 Sep 85 08:44:55 edt
From: Kelly Booth <ksbooth%watcgl%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA>
Subject: Info-Graphics / net.graphics

Today I read a rather long entry in net.graphics posted by you containing the
Info-Graphics Digest dated Sun Sep 8.  Most of the items had previously been
posted to net.graphics.  Is there a reason for repeating these postings?

I am not a regular ARPA user and don't know the history behind Info-Graphics.
While visiting UC Santa Cruz on sabbatical I was added to the distribution
list because they did not have access to net.graphics.  At that time I found
that there was essentially no overlap between the two.  Now that I have
returned to Waterloo (and thus get net.graphics again), it is disconcerting
to find the duplication that now seems to pervade.  Is there a rationale
behind this?

If there is a valid reason for posting items twice, I suggest that the postings
be split into postings containing entirely disjoint material and those
containing entirely repetitious material.  The header should then make this
distinction.  Those of us who get net.graphics could then skip the latter
articles but read the former.

------------------------------

Date: 9 Sep 85 12:38:32 GMT
From: decvax!mcnc!unccvax!dsi@Berkeley  (Dataspan Inc)
Subject: Re: Wanded: Video Overlay Device for IBM PC/VCR

     You probably didn't want to hear this, but there just isn't any
way to do this cheaply, if at all.  Sounds like you need a frame store
time base corrector (I take it that you want to take SCH phased colour
video from a camera, colour video from another VCR, and use your PC as
the poor man's Chyron or Vidifont character generator.
     Real character generators used for television are "genlocked" to
the station's master sync generator. The timing requirements of this
are nontrivial (i.e. you must synchronize the colour subcarrier within
a few nanoseconds). Thus, with the other video locked, and the character
generator locked, you can then algebraically add the video from the
character generator to whatever video you already have (also locked).
     The reason you need a frame store TBC is that there is probably
no way to send "advanced" vertical sync back to your IBM-PC. (There are
"line store TBC's" which maintain a correction window of + or - so
many lines). You would also have to convert the RGB outputs of your
PC to NTSC (if this isn't done already) and your TBC would have to
have the "pre heterodyning" option to force the colour subcarrier to
be in a precise relationship with the horizontal sync.
     You also need a TBC for your video tape recorder, unless the
video coming from your PC is of reference stability. All kinds of
factors enter into time base instability of helical scan VTR's, such
as varying "stiction" around the headwheel, runout in the headwheel
capstan and pinchroller, varying tension in the takeup spool due to
the ever-changing tape pack size, relative humidity, etc. Although
the video from your VCR ** looks ** stable, it in reality is very
disgustingly changing frequency and so on. (To see how bad, get
two TV station video sources, display one, and superimpose the other
with a resistive matrix. You will see the other station's image but
most likely, the syncrhonizing pulses will "cross" over the other
station's image. Then, try this with a VCR and a TV station, and
notice how much the sync pulses "slew". In the two TV station case,
the sync is so stable, the drifting might gain one line per 15 minutes!!)
     If you'd like to build a TBC, you'll need to build some really
macho dual ported RAM, and a system for writing in dirty video (using
a clock recovered from the VCR colour burst) and writing out clean
video (using a clock recovered from some reference source). You also
need some way of forcing all the incoming TBC video sources to be
SC-H phased because the output certainly will be!  And, if you only
build two field storage, you'll have to break out the delay lines
and analog switches to maintain the NTSC four field sequence.
     Finally, the colour video coming from a PC is flat to at least 8 mHz
even at NTSC rates (one of those cases where horizontal resolution can
exceed vertical resolution); colour response of VCR's is not given,
but I can assure you that home VCR's have very poor colour response
past 0.3 to 0.5 mHz. (The detail of an NTSC image is always transmitted
in monochrome. In the best of all ideal worlds, the I-channel of colour
might get to 1.5 mHz). Your VCR also combs and cores the living s**t
out of the video because colour-under systems are notorious for crosstalk
between chrominance and luminance.
     Your question wasn't silly at all, though. I can see consumer TBC's
being available within 4-7 years so that video freaks can mix two or
more nonsynchronous sources. Then, the home video freak can do wipes,
dissolves, digital video effects (!) right from his own little TBC. Right
now, though, the Tektronix TBC (which is obstensibly the best) costs
$12,600 - this was last summer, when they had a big sale on them after
the Olympics) and is probably $ 18k new. The Intermetall people have totally
missed their market with digital TV chips - we NEED a TBC chip set, not
a TV receiver chip set !
    (And goollyeee gee, standards converters by the time I'm 40? Phew!)
David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc (The Southeast's largest consumer of TRW a/d flash converters!)

------------------------------

Date: 9 Sep 85 19:39:18 GMT
From: harpo!whuxlm!spuxll!kitc!les@Berkeley  (Les Johnson)

In article <127@butler.UUCP> olivier@butler.UUCP (Charles Olivier) writes:
>Does anybody know of any cheap method of doing video overlay with
>an IBM PC.  I have an IBM PC and a VCR, and I would like to over
>text (& graphics data from my pc). Can this be done cheaply?
The Image Capture Board from Electronic Photography and Image Center
(EPIC) at AT&T Consumer Products should be able to do this at a
reasonable cost.  Contact Alan Wlasuk at 317-352-6124 for more info.
Les Johnson @ ihnp4!kitc!les

------------------------------

Date: 9 Sep 85 17:22:29 GMT
From: decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!rochester!cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-h!rfb@Berkeley  (Rick Busdiecker)
Subject: Old post

Could someone who has a copy the posts by Ken Turkowski of Frank Crow's Image
Generation Environment (December 1983), please either repost it (to
net.sources) or mail me a copy?  CMU didn't read the netnews in 1983.
				Rick Busdiecker
				rfb@h.cs.cmu.edu
				cmu-cs-pt!cmu-cs-h!rfb

------------------------------

Date: 9 Sep 85 19:39:27 GMT
From: decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!patricia@Berkeley  (Patricia Thompson)
Subject: Impress to PostScript converter wanted

Does anyone out there have or know of a means of converting
impress print files to PostScript?  Please reply by mail.
Thanks,
Patricia Thompson
Patricia Thompson, U.T. Computation Center, Austin, Texas 78712
ARPA:  patricia@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!patricia  allegra!ut-ngp!patricia  gatech!ut-ngp!patricia
       seismo!ut-sally!patricia  harvard!ut-sally!patricia

------------------------------

Date: 10 Sep 85 01:19:34 GMT
From: decwrl!turtlevax!ken@Berkeley  (Ken Turkowski)
Subject: Re: Info-Graphics Digest

In article <8509081904.AA11574@UCB-VAX.ARPA> Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix writes:
... <long-winded regurgitation of articles that we saw before>
Do we really need to see these articles twice?  Once in net.graphics
and once again from the ARPA mailing list?  Only 2 (11%) out of the 18

Date: 10 Sep 85 16:59:24 GMT
From: decwrl!turtlevax!ken@Berkeley  (Ken Turkowski)

In article <285@uwvax.UUCP> derek@uwvax.UUCP (Derek Zahn) writes:
>>	Could some kind soul out there in pixel-land send me an object
>>	description or two, in machine readable form?  I'm looking for some
>>	three-D...
>	I hate to sound stupid, but what does that mean?
>	Object descriptions?  (you mean spheres, the statue of liberty,
>	or what?)
Yes.  All of the above and then some.
>	Machine readable form?  Is there some standard machine-readable form I
>	never noticed?
As opposed to a paper listing, orthogonal views, or a picture in perspective.

Date: 10 Sep 85 07:24:37 GMT
From: tektronix!reed!johnw@Berkeley  (John Windberg)
Subject: Tandy 2000 MS-dos Pascal

This looked like as good as any a place to put
this note.  I am searching for a graphics
package for the Tandy 2000's MS-dos PASCAL.
Either info or even routines needed to switch
screens and set pixels will set me on the
right track.  I prefer pascal for my science
related graphics and have found that no-one
knows how to get the Radio Shack machine to
do graphics in anything but BASIC.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. yes I did put a notice in net.trs-80.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Sep 85 01:58:32 GMT
From: harpo!whuxlm!whuxl!houxm!mtuxo!mtuxt!dak2@Berkeley  (D.KALL)

 Yes David I agree. One vote for.
Who do we contact to get one?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 85 15:56:37 pdt
From: stephan@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Stephan Keith)
Subject: Bay Area SIGGRAPH

                San Francisco Bay Area SIGGRAPH Meeting Announcement

	What:	Commercial Animation Production
	Who:	Carl Rosendahl, Pacific Data Images
	Where:	The Exploratorium, Place of Fine Arts, San Francisco
	When:	Tuesday, 24 September 1985, 8:00 pm
		Doors open at 7:30 pm

Abstract: Carl Rosendahl will give an overview of the animation production
process.  A specific job will be followed through from conception to final
delivery as a vehicle for discussion of the different phases of production
and the different tools used.  The basic steps of production which will be
covered include: concepting and storyboarding, modeling, motion design,
lighting and coloring, test shots, rendering, recording and post
production.  Carl will assume a familiarity with general computer graphics
terms and techniques.  The focus will be on how PDI applied these ideas and
others to commercial production.  The talk will be very visual, with slides
and 3/4" tape as support materials.  Carl also encourages the audience to
ask questions during the talk, which will give him a better opportunity to
focus in on the specific interests of the group, rather than try to guess
them.  The talk will be between one and one and a half hours long.

Biography: Carl Rosendahl, President of Pacific Data Images, started his
organization in August, 1980.  He graduated with a degree in Electrical
Engineering from Stanford University in 1979 and worked in Silicon Valley
for 9 months before leaving to start PDI.  He is an active member in ACM
SIGGRAPH, the Broadcast Designer's Association and the Ad Club of San
Francisco.  In addition to his presidential duties, Carl remains actively
involved in animation.  Some of Carl's credits include the Emmy award
winning M Patterns for MTV, the opening for Entertainment Tonight, and the
Sarajevo and Los Angeles Olympic Patch animations for ABC Sports.

                      Future Events - 1985 (Subject to Change)
        Month              Person        Place            Subject

        September 24       Carl Rosenthal Exploratorium  Commercial Animation
        October 22         Jim Clark      SLAC           Computation Geometry
        November 19 or 26  Film Show      TBD            TBD
        December                                         <no meeting>

------------------------------

From: decvax!cca!datacube!shep@Berkeley
Date: 7 Sep 85 16:55:00 GMT
Subject: Hitachi 63484 Graphics Controller

Has anyone used the Hitachi HD63484 chip? It appears to be a lot
more flexible than last generation's 7220s and clones.
The chip is an "Advanced CRT controller" (read Graphics controller)
with some powerful primatives. I have Hitachi's #U75 handbook on the
part; which I take to be the sole reference.
I would like to interchange questions with other (potential) users
of the part.
Shep Siegel                           UUCP: ihnp4!datacube!shep
Datacube Inc.; 4 Dearborn Rd.; Peabody, Ma. 01960; 617-535-6644

------------------------------

Date: 11 Sep 85 18:28:19 GMT
From: decvax!genrad!panda!talcott!harvard!seismo!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!mulbery@Berkeley  (Bill Mulberry)
Subject: fractal dragon

    I have come up with an algorithm that creates the self-squared fractal
dragon that appears on the cover of Mandlebrot's book, Fractal Geometry
of Nature.  It is a simple algorithm.  However, if I interpret his ideas
on the segment colors correctly, that part is not so simple.  In following
his idea, I have come up with a scheme that seems to work but involves
some complicated numerical analysis.  Like the Mandlebrot set, this set
is extremely computationally intensive.
    Has anybody out there tried this out?  And if so, is there a MUCH
SIMPLER method for determining the segment colors?
--
------------------------------------
Bill Mulberry @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ  U.S.A.

------------------------------

Date: 12 Sep 85 04:43:00 GMT
From: decvax!cca!reiner@Berkeley  (David Reiner)
Subject: PC/AT as graphics-oriented support environment

I may be dreaming, but does a combination graphics/operating system/windowing
system environment exist for the IBM PC/AT (perhaps with added chips, or
display unit) which provides all or most of:
A unix-like development environment (unix tools)
A run-time environment with virtual memory
A windowing system supporting multiple graphics-oriented windows
(preferably overlapping, but tiling acceptable)
Monochrome graphics with 800 x 800 resolution (more or less)
PC/DOS compatibility (??)
A migration path to IBM's rumored RISC-based workstation or other
successor to the PC/AT (??)
It seems like this would be a fairly common wish-list for anyone
looking to develop graphics-oriented design support tools on an AT
(whether the target area is systems analysis, CAD/CAM, entity-relationship
modelling, or whatever).
I'm interested in any comments on the current (or future) feasibility
of this combination of features, or on experiences people have had
in similar environments.
Dave Reiner
reiner@cca
decvax!cca!reiner
Computer Corporation of America
4 Cambridge Ctr
Cambridge, MA 02142
(617)-492-8860

------------------------------

Date: 13 Sep 85 18:19:06 GMT
From: decwrl!myee@cashew.DEC@Berkeley  (Michael K. Yee - DTN 231-4166)
Subject: New to Newsgroups...

	Please put me on the mailing list for the newsgroup for graphics.
	My address is !decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-cashew!myee
Posted:	Fri 13-Sep-1985 14:18 EDT

------------------------------

Date: 13 Sep 85 16:13:59 GMT
From: dual!ames!eugene@Berkeley  (Eugene Miya)
Subject: Foreign Language Technical Material

Lately, there have been significant technical advances from non-English
speaking countries: Japan and the Continent.  How many know the Japanese
equivalent to the CACM?  What is the German equivalent of the IEEE?
It is too easy to say that such organizations and publications are
not significant.  We have been accused of parochialism.
Our problems in the computer industry are rather unique as colleagues in other
fields such as nuclear fusion report that most of their colleagues are,
for all practical purposes, forced to come to the U.S.  This is not the case
with computing
Just as we have file servers and process servers, we have a
distributed system.  Our greatest resource are not the machines, but
the people with special skills.  To this end I propose the following:
Propose:
1) to identify individuals who are capable of providing simple
translation.  It would help if the Universities could do this, but
languages requirements in most graduate CS and EE programs has been dropped.
Perhaps, Universities could get assistance from foreign language
departments.
2) Identify various foreign language publications of technical interest.
Quickly identify articles of wide interest.  This information could
be posted to general interest Usenet newsgroups such as net.research
and net.mag as well as the special interest groups such as the AI List,
net.lang, and so forth.  We should not create news grops, but work
on top of existing groups.
3) Help fund subscription and translations. Perhaps, individuals
without technical translation expertise can get together to pay for
technical translations [commercial], and/or help fund the subscription
of those with technical translation expertise.  This information
could be posted to the standard news groups addressed above.
Dymond@nbs-vms.ARPA has started an info-japan and a nihongo discussion
group on the ARPAnet, but it would be difficult to get Usenet
participation.  I specfically do not want to create new newsgroups.
This structure can be placed atop the existing new group structure.
It appears our most critical needs are in the Eastern Asian languages
such as Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.  Other useful work would include
French, German, and the other European languages.  We have to look to
the Universities for much of our assistance, but private organizations
and government can also help.  We can certainly make inquires.
The Usenet extends into Japan, France, and other non-English native
countries.  We must take benefit of these contributors.
Similarly, we can contribute to these countries by tagging significant
English language documents.
I am willing to act as a clearing house for determining finding
individuals and groups, and specific journals.  For this purpose,
I am giving my address an ARPA, uucp gateway.  Send the mail inquires
there.  More in a couple of weeks.
------------------------------

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!amelia!eugene
  eugene@ames-nas

------------------------------

Date: 13 Sep 85 21:17:16 GMT
From: ucdavis!lll-crg!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!prl@Berkeley  (Peter Lamb)
Subject: GKS for UNIX 4.2

Does anyone have a GKS implementation for 4.2BSD?
Please reply by mail to {seismo|decvax}!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!prl
Thanks
Peter Lamb
Institut fur Informatik
ETH
8092 Zurich
Switzerland

------------------------------

Date: 13 Sep 85 18:11:23 GMT
From: ucdavis!lll-crg!gymble!umcp-cs!seismo!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!mulbery@Berkeley  (Bill Mulberry)
Subject: paper topics

    HELP!!  I have to do a paper for a class dealing with a subject in
either image processing or computer vision.  The paper has to be about
that subject as well as what current research is going on in that area.
    If anybody out there is involved in these areas, I would appreciate
if they could tell me about some subjects that would be a good topic as
well as sources to look up, references, etc.
    Some topics I have considered are:

	  1.  time - varying imagery
	  2.  stereopsis and surface reconstruction
	  3.  satellite imagery
     Any ideas for references for these topics.  Thanks.
--
------------------------------------

From: unmvax!nmtvax!allan@Berkeley
Date: 12 Sep 85 21:40:31 GMT
Subject: Need information on a graphics tablet

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH THE TIME OF DAY ***
I have a Vector General Data Tablet and no manual to go with it.  This
makes it very hard for me to figure out how to use the silly thing.
The serial (model) number is 001.  I have tried writing to Vector
General using the address on the Tablet, but the poor postman in
Canoga Park could not figure out what to with the request and returned
it to me.  Can anyone out there help me?
Allan F. Perry
...lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!allan

------------------------------

End of INFO-GRAPHICS
********************

Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-UNIX.ARPA (Info-Graphics moderator Andy Croma (09/29/85)

Info-Graphics Digest	Sun Sep 29 03:00:33 PDT 1985

 - Send submissions to Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix
 - Send requests for list membership to Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix

Today's Topics:

 Mandelbrot programs posted to net.sources
 Trying to Locate LMiller
 Frank Crow's Flexible Image Generation Environment
 Re: Info-Graphics Digest
 Re: Wanted: Video Overlay Device for IBM PC/VCR
 sun graphics software
 Re:  Trying to Locate LMiller
 info-graphics interest group
 Administrivia

Date: 23 Sep 85 11:52:17 PDT (Monday)
Subject: Mandelbrot programs posted to net.sources
From: Wax.OsbuSouth@Xerox.ARPA

I being a dumb user on ARPANet do not know where net.sources is located.
I know about FTPing to ISIB and similiar places but do not know where
net.sourcesis located or how to get to it.  Any help from you would be
appreciated since I have written my own program for the IBM-PC that does
a presumably similiar job.

Allan Wax
Wax.osbuSouth@Xerox.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 26 Sep 1985 09:12-EDT
Subject: Trying to Locate LMiller
From: MHARRIS@BBNA.ARPA

I am trying to correspond with "LMiller @ ISI-Hobgoblin" re this list,
but the mailer sez "Addressee Unknown".  LMiller, if you're out there,
please phone, write, or send your USPO address.  Thanks.

-- Michael Harris		MHarris @ BBNA
   BBN Laboratories
   10 Fawcett Street
   Cambridge, MA   02238
   617-497-3794

------------------------------

Date: 9 Sep 85 13:38:14 PDT (Monday)
Subject: Frank Crow's Flexible Image Generation Environment
From: Wax.OsbuSouth@Xerox.ARPA

I am sending this to Info-Graphics because my mail system will not let
me send to turtlevax!ken@DECWRL.ARPA.

I noticed your message in Info-Graphics.  Since I cannot locate
net.sources myself but I can get at [ISIB]<mumble>mumble via FTP and
other similar sources, would it be possible to send me an exact address
(eg. ISIB<net.sources>...) so that I could fetch the appropriate
software (hopefully in C).

Allan Wax
ARPA -- Wax.osbuSouth@Xerox.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 18 Sep 1985 07:14:59-PDT
From: michon%sprite.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Subject: Re: Wanted: Video Overlay Device for IBM PC/VCR

In article <127@butler.UUCP> olivier@butler.UUCP (Charles Olivier) writes:
>Does anybody know of any cheap method of doing video overlay with
>an IBM PC.  I have an IBM PC and a VCR, and I would like to over
>text (& graphics data from my pc). Can this be done cheaply?
Decvax!mcnc!unccvax!dsi@Berkeley  (Dataspan Inc) replys with a discussion on
why it is difficult to overlay IBM graphics on VCR video.  This quite true
because the IBM PC cannot GENLOC to external video like DEC's IVIS. If
you really want to keep that IBM PC but want overlay ability then the cheap and
easy thing to do is dump the IBM graphic boards and buy some boards that can
GENLOC to external video sync.  The computer based training industry use
graphics overlay systems with videodisc players for interactive video systems.
This market has sparked a number of startup companies to manufacture
inexpensive genloc-overlay boards for a number of PCs.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Sep 85 16:56:27 cdt
From: minkoff@anl-mcs (Mike Minkoff)
Subject: sun graphics software

Has anyone heard of the Heiroglyph product from Prescience, Inc.  If so I'd
appreciate hearing comments about the software and a lead to the location
and telephone number of Prescience.  Apparently its a graphics workstation
package for the Sun supporting GKS and Postscript.

Thanks

minkoff@anl-mcs.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 85 09:25:05 pdt
From: lmiller@isi-hobgoblin.ARPA (Larry Miller)
Subject: Re:  Trying to Locate LMiller

Well, your message got to me.  lmiller@ucla-locus, or lmiller@isi-hobgoblin
should both work.  Or write at

USC/ISI
4676 Admiralty Way
Marina del Rey, CA. 90292-6695
213-822-1511

L. Miller

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 85 15:31:18 edt
From: Elizabeth Brackett <liz%colgate.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: info-graphics interest group

I'm interested in unix software for a DMA interface to an AED512.

liz brackett

------------------------------

Date: 27 Sep 1985 07:14-PDT
From: Andy Cromarty <Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix>
Subject: Administrivia

In the past week or two, there have been several complaints about
USENET "net.graphics" mail being dumped into the Info-Graphics digest.
I believe I have tracked down the source of this problem.  (It appears
that there was an inappropriate mail forwarding address somewhere at
UC Berkeley).  By the time you read this, they should have solved their
mailer problems.

Info-Graphics readers are reminded that this Digest runs fully
automated.  There is no digest moderator scanning and editing the
articles you submit.  This has the disadvantage that problems like the
mail forwarding bug we have been suffering from can occur.  But it also
offers the advantage of ensuring that the list is delivered faithfully
each weekend even if I happen to be away for several weeks, as was the
case for most of September (astute Info-Graphics readers will recall
that I announced this absence in the Digest a month ago).

Your comments on the operation of the list and ways it can be
improved are always welcome.  Please remember to send them to the
"-REQUEST" address where I will personally receive them, not to
"Info-Graphics" (from which address they will be automatically
remailed without my seeing them first).

					Andy Cromarty
					INFO-GRAPHICS-REQUEST@AIDS-Unix

------------------------------

End of INFO-GRAPHICS
********************

Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-UNIX.ARPA (Info-Graphics moderator Andy Croma (10/06/85)

Info-Graphics Digest	Sun Oct  6 03:00:28 PDT 1985

 - Send submissions to Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix
 - Send requests for list membership to Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix

Today's Topics:

 Re:  Info-Graphics Digest
 Second IMA Conference on the Mathematics of Surfaces

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 85 13:31:32 pdt
From: mantey <@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA,@ucsc.CSNET:mantey@ucsc.CSNET (Pat Mantey - Computer Eng)>

------------------------------

           id a004233; 4 Oct 85 18:24 BST
From: Ralph Martin (on ICF GEC 4090 at Cardiff) <XACF03%geca.cardiff.ac.uk@ucl-cs.ARPA>
Date:    Fri, 4 Oct 85 16:40 BST
Subject: Second IMA Conference on the Mathematics of Surfaces

This will take place on Sept 7-9th 1986, at University College, Cardiff, UK

                   CALL FOR PAPERS

The mathematical description of surfaces has become of increasing importance
to engineering, manufacturing industry, sciences, television, films and
and advertising, with the advent of computer aided design techniques for
accurately representing surfaces where previously the amount of data to be
handled would have been too great.

The conference has three aims: firstly, to provide tutorial sessions
explaining methods and ideas currently in use; secondly to air the results
of recent research into describing surfaces, designing surfaces, and
finding surfaces which fit or approximate given data, with an emphasis on
computational techniques and the mathematics behind them; thirdly, to
present novel applications of these methods in science and industry.

Thus the conference will be of interest to mathematicians, computer
scientists, engineers, and scientists who are already involved in the
computer aided description of surfaces, and to those who need an
introduction to these ideas.

There will be a number of invited papers from distinguished speakers, and a
number of contributed papers. A poster session will also be included.

It is especially hoped that the bringing together of theoreticians with
the users of these techniques will lead to useful discussion of current
problems and possible approaches to their solution.

Contributed papers of 40 minutes presentation time are invited. These will
be accepted on the basis of an extended abstract (1-2 pages) which should
be sent to
Dr R Martin
Department of Computing Mathematics
Mathematics Institute
Senghenydd Rd
Cardiff
CF2 4AG
United Kingdom
by January 15th 1986. Authors will be advised of acceptance by February 15th.
(Or send them via electronic mail to xacf03%uk.ac.cf.ga@ucl-cs.arpa)

The conference organisers are Dr R Martin (University College Cardiff)
                          and Mr M Pratt (Cranfield Institute of Technology)

The proceedings of the conference will be published in the IMA Conference
Proceedings Series by Oxford University Press.

Please forward a copy of this call for papers to anyone you think may be
interested !

------------------------------

End of INFO-GRAPHICS
********************

Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-UNIX.ARPA (Info-Graphics moderator Andy Croma (10/13/85)

Info-Graphics Digest	Sun Oct 13 03:00:32 PDT 1985

 - Send submissions to Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix
 - Send requests for list membership to Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix

Today's Topics:

  graphics in UNIX to build upon
      Database service available for back issues of

  17:11:24 CDT
Date:  Thu, 10-OCT-1985 18:08 EDT
From: <FOXEA%VPIVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject:  graphics in UNIX to build upon

At Virginia Tech our freshmen have all bought Mac-L systems (XL modified
to have external rather than internal hard disk) with 10M Profile, 1M Ram,
UNIPLUS port of  System V UNIX.  UNIX allows us to access the bitmap
and mouse but otherwise treats the console much like a VT100.

Is there any UNIX software in public domain that we can use to build
graphics support on top of?  We need basic graphics, and would also
like to develop an window environment and visual  shell.

Please respond to fox%vpi@csnet-relay.arpa or bitnet address fox@vpics1.
Many thanks, Ed Fox

------------------------------

  11:35:17 CDT
Date:         Thu, 10 Oct 85 12:03 EDT
From: Henry Nussbacher  <HJNCU%CUNYVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject:      Database service available for back issues of
  Info-Graphics

This is to announce that some new services have been added to the
inter-network server running at Bitnic.  Certain selected Arpanet
digests are now being loaded into a Spires database and are therefore
searchable from anywhere as long as you can send RFC822 mail.

If you are interested in using this service, send a piece of mail to:
DATABASE%BITNIC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
or
DATABASE%BITNIC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

and have as the first 3 lines of your file (case does not matter):
help
help arpanet
help design

The server will send back to you 3 help files describing how to use the
internet server, how to search Arpanet digests and how the whole thing
was designed.  Read over the section on "Signup" carefully before making
further use of the Database server.

Presently, the following 5 Arpanet forums are being loaded into the
Database:

Name           Retention Period
=============  ================
Ai-List        2 months
Info-Ibmpc     2 months
Info-Mac       2 months
Info-Graphics  3 months
Info-Nets      3 months

The retention period is set for a short duration in order to see if
Bitnic can handle the volume of data that needs to be stored in Spires.
This service was initialized on October 4th, 1985 so currently there
are just a few items available in the Database.

Example of search command:
FIND TEXT UNIX (IN INFO-IBMPC TABLE
would find all entries in Info-Ibmpc that contain the word UNIX.
An entry is just the section within a "digested" digest that makes
reference to the word UNIX.  For further details read over the
help files.

Henry Nussbacher (Hank@Bitnic.Bitnet)
Bitnet Development and Operations Center

------------------------------

End of INFO-GRAPHICS
********************

Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-UNIX.ARPA (Info-Graphics moderator Andy Croma (10/20/85)

Info-Graphics Digest	Sun Oct 20 03:00:27 PDT 1985

 - Send submissions to Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix
 - Send requests for list membership to Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix

Today's Topics:

 Re: Info-Graphics Digest
 Frame Grabber Boards for SUN Micro, Color Compression Techniques
 Bay Area SIGGRAPH
 PD Portable Core Graphics Package

Date: 14 Oct 1985 13:24-CDT
From: SCHNUR@USC-ISIE.ARPA

i AM LOOKING FOR ENHANCED FONTS FOR THE IBM EGA AND ADAPTER.  ARE
THEIR POINTERS TO ONES THAT CAN WORK WITH EGASMALL?  OR SOME
OTHER ENHANCED PROGRAM FOR THE ibm EGA BOARD ETC.  SCHNUR@I

jOEL sCHNUR cODE 6190 NRL

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 85 00:01:37 EDT
From: Dan Blumenfeld <DAN@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Frame Grabber Boards for SUN Micro, Color Compression Techniques

Has anyone integrated frame grabber or imaging boards with a SUN Microsystems
2/160-C or 3/160-C Color Workstation?  Specifically, I'm interested in
learning what boards are available (e.g. Matrox, Datacube, ITI, etc.),
availability of device drivers, what people already have experience with,
and so on.

The application is capturing medium resolution (approx. 512 x 512) full-
color (24 bit) images of histological samples (i.e. photomicroscopy),
which will then be cropped and color-compressed to 512 x 384 x 6-8 planes.
I'm also curious as to what color compression algorithms and methods
exist to squeeze down a 24 bit color image to 6 or 8 planes.

Dan Blumenfeld
University of Pennsylvania
[blumen@wharton, dan@mit-mc]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 85 10:28:06 pdt
From: stephan@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Stephan Keith)

                San Francisco Bay Area SIGGRAPH Meeting Announcement

	What:	Computational Geometry
	Who:	Jim Clark, Silicon Graphics Inc.
	Where:	Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, Main Auditorium
	When:	Tuesday, 22 October 1985, 8:00 pm
		Doors open at 7:30 pm

	Brief Abstract:

	Dr. Clark will give a talk and slide presentation on some aspects of
	computational computer graphics and VLSI.

                      Future Events - 1985 (Subject to Change)
        Month              Person        Place            Subject

        October 22         Jim Clark      SLAC           Computational Geometry
        November 19 or 26  Film Show      Exploratorium	 TBD
        December                                         <no meeting>

	January 1986	   TBD   	  SLAC or HP	 Image Processing - TBD

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 16 Oct 1985 23:43-EDT
From: jrv@mitre-bedford.ARPA
        info-dec-micro@su-score, info-amiga@rutgers, info-mac@sumex-aim
Subject: PD Portable Core Graphics Package

I have been working on a portable implementation of the Core System
graphics package, and have it running on the IBM PC and the Z-100 (two
graphics modes on each).  All the 2D and 3D viewing transformations are
provided, but there are no retained segments, no input primitives, and
only string-precision text.  I have recently contributed the source
code for the graphics package, along with two programs I have written
using it, to the info-ibmpc library.  These files can be ftp'd from
directory <info-ibmpc.graph> on ARPANET host usc-isib:
------------------

READ.ME          This list (a brief description of the files)
GRAPH.DOC        Documentation for GRAPH.
GRAPH.C          Graphs a tabulated function (like the Unix program).
SCALE.C          Scales and draws axes for GRAPH.
SINE.            Sample data for GRAPH
SINH.            Sample data for GRAPH
DOTS.DOC         Documentation for DOTS
DOTS.C           3D version of GRAPH
SPIRAL.          Sample data for DOTS
G3.DOC           Documentation for G31 and G32.
G3.H             Definitions for portable CORE graphics package.
G31.C            Portable CORE graphics package (part 1)
G32.C            Portable CORE graphics package (part 2)
BENCH.DOC        Documentation for BENCH.
BENCH.C          Demonstration/benchmark routine for interface routines.
G.H              Declarations for machine interface routines.
GPC.C            Interface routines for IBM PC.
GZ.C             Interface routines for Z-100
MKFILE           Make file (for Holub's MAKE program)
------------------------------
The definitive description of CORE graphics is volume 13, number 3 of
Computer Graphics (August 1979), which you can get from the ACM...

     call:       1-800-526-0359 x 75      (1-800-932-0878 x75 in N.J.)
     or write:   ACM Order Dept., P.O. Box 64145, Baltimore MD 21264

I would like to see this package ported to other microcomputers with
good graphics, like the NEC APC and the DEC Rainbow.  If you want to
help, please get in touch with me directly.

              - Jim Van Zandt

------------------------------

End of INFO-GRAPHICS
********************

rdp@teddy.UUCP (10/22/85)

In article <8510201115.AA15620@UCB-VAX> Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix writes:
>Subject: PD Portable Core Graphics Package
>
>I have been working on a portable implementation of the Core System
>graphics package, and have it running on the IBM PC and the Z-100 (two
>graphics modes on each).  All the 2D and 3D viewing transformations are
>provided, but there are no retained segments, no input primitives, and
>only string-precision text.  I have recently contributed the source
>code for the graphics package, along with two programs I have written
>using it, to the info-ibmpc library.  These files can be ftp'd from
>directory <info-ibmpc.graph> on ARPANET host usc-isib:
>------------------

How about posting these sources to net.sources or mod.sources so it's
easy for all of us to get them?

Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-UNIX.ARPA (Info-Graphics moderator Andy Croma (10/27/85)

Info-Graphics Digest	Sun Oct 27 03:00:27 PST 1985

 - Send submissions to Info-Graphics@AIDS-Unix
 - Send requests for list membership to Info-Graphics-Request@AIDS-Unix

Today's Topics:

  mailing lists...
 HELP needed : Terminal Emulator

Date:     Tue, 22 Oct 85 13:51 PST
From: Barello Joe C <joeba%wwu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

please put me on your mailing list

	joeba%wwu@csnet-relay

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 1985 12:21-EDT
From: Bharat.Dave@CAD.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: HELP needed : Terminal Emulator

I am working on an IBM AT that is fitted with the Professional Graphics
Board. Using the IBM Graphics Terminal Emulator software (it emulates a
Tektronix 4000 series), I can connect to the host VAX/UNIX 4.2.

While in this mode, I want to run a program in Franz Lisp that generates
some coordinates. Without getting out of Franz, I would like to display
this data in the graphic form (hence the emulator).
The commands given in the manual look like the following :

Command : Draw

	Format : <ESC>LG<x,y>

	This command draws a vector from the current position to
	the specified location (x,y)...

How do I incorporate these commands while still running Franz ?
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

		-- dave@CAD.CS.CMU.EDU.ARPA

End of INFO-GRAPHICS