[net.graphics] fast convolution?

samadani@Shasta.ARPA (11/01/85)

Can anyone suggest articles or books on the most recent techniques for
fast convolutions? I am thinking of techniques applicable to image processing
such as polynomial algorithms, SVD (small generating kernel) decompositions
and HDC (hierarchical discrete convolution) which also synthesizes large
kernels from small ones, or anything else.
Along the same lines, are there any easy number theory books for engineering
applications? (Galois type stuff)

Ramin Samadani				202 Durand Building, STARLAB
...ucbvax!shasta!samadani (UUCP)	Stanford University
samadani@su-shasta.ARPA   (ARPA)	Stanford, CA 94305

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) (11/03/85)

In article <1484@Shasta.ARPA> samadani@Shasta.UUCP (Ramin Samadani) writes:
>Can anyone suggest articles or books on the most recent techniques for
>fast convolutions?

 One real good book with a lot of info on fast convolution algorithms is
called "Number Theory in Digital Signal Processing", by James H. McClellan
and Charles M. Rader.  It is published by Prentice Hall.

--

Bruce Karsh
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics

stephen@datacube.UUCP (11/07/85)

>Can anyone suggest articles or books on the most recent techniques for
>fast convolutions? ...
>
>Ramin Samadani				202 Durand Building, STARLAB
>...ucbvax!shasta!samadani (UUCP)	Stanford University
>samadani@su-shasta.ARPA   (ARPA)	Stanford, CA 94305

Try _Fast Algorithms for Digital Signal Processing_ (Addison-Wesley, 1985)
by Richard F. Blahut. It contains algorithms for fast convolutions, plus
FFT's and other transforms.

Stephen Watkins                    UUCP: ihnp4!datacube!stephen
Datacube Inc.; 4 Dearborn Rd.; Peabody, Ma. 01960; 617-535-6644

sdo@faron.UUCP (Sean David O'Neil) (11/18/85)

In article <274@geowhiz.UUCP> karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) writes:
>In article <1484@Shasta.ARPA> samadani@Shasta.UUCP (Ramin Samadani) writes:
>>Can anyone suggest articles or books on the most recent techniques for
>>fast convolutions?
>
> One real good book with a lot of info on fast convolution algorithms is
>called "Number Theory in Digital Signal Processing", by James H. McClellan
>and Charles M. Rader.  It is published by Prentice Hall.
>--
>Bruce Karsh

I think this book is a good primer on recent (i.e. up to 1978)
developments in number theoretic DSP.  However, it is definitely
not the best place to find out about the latest and best algortithms
available.  For instance, it came out before the relative speed of
the Winograd FFT had been evaluated.  A much better starting
place, and a much more usable book, is "Fast Fourier Transform
and Convolution Algorithms", by H.J. Nussbaumer, 2nd ed.  It is
published by Springer-Verlag in the Springer Series on Information
Sciences.

____

Sean O'Neil
MITRE Corp.