[net.graphics] Polygon-polygon clipping

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (11/10/85)

If anybody has an algorithm on clipping a polygon to a polygon, I'd like
the reference also. Thanks!
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (11/13/85)

In article <177@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>If anybody has an algorithm on clipping a polygon to a polygon, I'd like
>the reference also. Thanks!

You should take a look at the Weiler-Atherton Algorithm.

Weiler, Kevin and Atherton, Peter, "Hidden Surface Removal Using
Polygon Area Sorting", Computer Graphics, Vol. 11, pp. 214-222, 1977
(Proc. SIGGRAPH '77)

Weiler, Kevin, "Hidden Surface Removal Using Polygon Area Sorting",
Masters Thesis, Program of Computer Graphics, Cornell University,
January 1978

Weiler, Kevin, "Polygon Comparison Using a Graph Representation",
Computer Graphics, Vol. 14, pp. 10-18, 1980 (Proc. SIGGRAPH '80)

Rogers, David F., 259-264, Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics,
McGraw-Hill 1985, pp. 179-185
--
Ken Turkowski @ CIMLINC (formerly CADLINC), Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

meier@srcsip.UUCP (Christopher M. Meier) (11/19/85)

In article <958@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>In article <177@octopus.UUCP> pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
>>If anybody has an algorithm on clipping a polygon to a polygon, I'd like
>>the reference also. Thanks!
>
>You should take a look at the Weiler-Atherton Algorithm.
>
>Weiler, Kevin and Atherton, Peter, "Hidden Surface Removal Using
>Polygon Area Sorting", Computer Graphics, Vol. 11, pp. 214-222, 1977
>(Proc. SIGGRAPH '77)
>
>Weiler, Kevin, "Hidden Surface Removal Using Polygon Area Sorting",
>Masters Thesis, Program of Computer Graphics, Cornell University,
>January 1978
>
>Weiler, Kevin, "Polygon Comparison Using a Graph Representation",
>Computer Graphics, Vol. 14, pp. 10-18, 1980 (Proc. SIGGRAPH '80)
>
>Rogers, David F., 259-264, Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics,
>McGraw-Hill 1985, pp. 179-185
If memory serves correct, the Weiler-Atherton Algorithm is in
the Foley & Van Dam book on Graphics.
--
   Christopher Meier  MN17-2357        Honeywell, Inc. Systems & Research Center
        2600 Ridgeway Pky.	               Signal & Image Processing