[net.graphics] Mandelbrot Set coordinate request.

krf7527@ritcv.UUCP (Keith Fieldhouse) (12/19/85)

Hello,

	Along with a small group of fellow undergraduate students, I
	have been working on the generation of Images of the Mandelbrot
	Set as described in the August '85 issue of "Scientific
	American".  Most of the work was done to provide us with an
	excuse to excercise some of the graphics hardware we have
	around here.  Since the hardware is in a public lab the work
	has generated some very positive comments from those who have
	happened to see it.  The comments became more enthusiastic as
	people understood the nature of the images they were seeing.

	The upshot of that rather long introduction is that we have
	arranged to obtain the use of some display cases in one of the
	public areas of the school late in February.   We are going to
	try to present the beauty of the pictures and the beauty of the
	fact that they exist the way they do.  In our wanderings
	through the set we have found several fairly atrractive
	portions of the it.  We would, however, like some more.
	What I would like to know is:  Is there any one out on the net
	that has come across other coordinates on the set that might
	help us in what we are trying to do.  If so, and if you'd like
	to help us, please send me the coordinates of the image and (if
	you'd like) the reason you thought the image was interesting.
	To keep things consistant send the coordinates (and the width)
	of the image in "complex plane" coordinates (real - x, imaginary - y)
	I'll post the results to the net if any one is interested.

											Thank you very much for your time,

											Keith Fieldhouse
											{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!krf7527

>	I'll post the results to the net if any one is interested.

Sounds like a good idea; please post the collected results.

My personal favorite is what we call "the egg":
(x,y) of lower left corner = (-0.61037,0.61467),
square 0.0001 on a side; this consists of an
embryo Mandelbrot set embedded in a egg-shaped
matrix that looks nice when colored with a
spectrum that cycles once every 64 iterations.

gdykes@lasspvax.UUCP (Gene Dykes) (01/02/86)

To: cornell!uw-beaver!tektronix!hplabs!hao!seismo!brl-tgr!gwyn
Subject: Re: Mandelbrot Set coordinate request.
Newsgroups: net.graphics
Bcc:

It's hard to find areas that aren't pretty!

I have some suggestions for you, however.  Don't just request coordinates,
request the coloring scheme, too.  One person's beautiful area may be
drab if you colored it differently than he did.  If the contents of the
color luts were available, you could reproduce somebody else's effort
exactly.

You've probably already discovered that a versatile pseudo-coloring
program is vital.  By playing around with the LUTs you can turn any
single image into dozens of different pictures, all gorgeous.

Another hint - be sure to use histogram equalization when converting
iteration values to pixel values. (Attempting to put the same number
of pixels in each bin from 0 to 255)  To my eye, it results in much
more pleasing images.
--
Gene Dykes, 120 Rand Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853 (607)256-4880
{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,vax135}!cornell!lasspvax!gdykes    gdykes@lasspvax.arpa

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (01/05/86)

I've been examining the area at the very tip of the 'beak'; here are four
coordinate sets which give a nice series of images from there.

1) DAISY WITH SPINDLES
Bottom left corner (-1.999 999 999 944 849 35,  -0.000 000 000 000 16)
Image extent	   0.000 000 000 000 25
Maximum number of iterations	1024

This is an image with a magnification factor of about x10^13.  At the centre
of the 'daisy' is the nearest bud to (-2, 0) [the very tip of the beak] that
we've been able to 'see'.

2) MORE DETAILED DAISY
BLC	(-1.999 996 470 425 34,  -0.000 000 000 096 21)
Xtent	0.000 000 000 096 21
Maxits	1024

A different daisy this time (the first one is too tiny for our program to
zoom in on).

3) ZOOMING IN TO THE CENTRE
BLC	(-1.999 996 470 354 98,  -0.000 000 000 017 59)
Xtent	0.000 000 000 035 77
Maxits	1024

4) OUR OLD FRIEND
BLC	(-1.999 996 470 342 54,  -0.000 000 000 004 60)
Xtent	0.000 000 000 010 27
Maxits	1024

Surrounded with a beautiful fringe of spindles.

We produce our images on an AED512 graphics box; 512x512 pixels, 256 colours
from a palette of 256^3.

Here (if you can use it) is the colourmap that we use for displaying them
(usually).  It's organised as 256 lines of colour triples, each element in
the range 0 .. 255.  The triples are in R G B order.  The first line (logical
colour zero) specifies the black interior of the set.

0 0 0
254 0 1
253 0 2
252 0 3
251 0 4
250 0 5
249 0 6
248 0 7
247 0 8
255 255 255
250 250 255
245 245 255
240 240 255
235 235 255
230 230 255
225 225 255
220 220 255
215 215 255
210 210 255
205 205 255
200 200 255
195 195 255
190 190 255
185 185 255
180 180 255
175 175 255
170 170 255
165 165 255
160 160 255
155 155 255
150 150 255
145 145 255
140 140 255
135 135 255
130 130 255
125 125 255
120 120 255
115 115 255
110 110 255
105 105 255
100 100 255
255 0 0
255 20 0
255 40 0
255 60 0
255 80 0
255 100 0
255 120 0
255 140 0
255 160 0
255 180 0
255 200 0
255 220 0
255 240 0
255 255 0
255 255 5
255 255 10
255 255 15
255 255 20
255 255 25
255 255 30
255 255 35
255 255 40
255 255 45
255 255 50
255 255 55
255 255 60
255 255 65
255 255 70
255 255 75
255 255 80
255 255 85
255 255 90
255 255 95
255 255 100
255 255 105
255 255 110
255 255 115
255 255 120
255 255 125
255 255 130
250 255 130
245 255 130
240 255 130
235 255 130
230 255 130
225 255 130
220 255 130
215 255 130
210 255 130
205 255 130
200 255 130
195 255 130
190 255 130
185 255 130
180 255 130
175 255 130
170 255 130
165 255 130
150 255 130
145 255 130
140 255 130
135 255 130
130 255 130
125 255 130
120 255 130
115 255 130
110 255 130
105 255 130
100 255 130
0 255 95
0 255 90
0 255 85
0 255 80
0 255 75
0 255 70
0 255 65
0 255 60
0 255 55
0 255 50
0 255 45
0 255 40
0 255 35
0 255 30
0 255 25
0 255 20
0 255 15
0 255 10
0 255 5
0 255 0
251 0 4
250 0 5
249 0 6
248 0 7
247 0 8
246 0 9
245 0 10
244 0 11
243 0 12
242 0 13
241 0 14
240 0 15
239 0 16
238 0 17
237 0 18
236 0 19
235 0 20
234 0 21
233 0 22
232 0 23
231 0 24
230 0 25
229 0 26
228 0 27
227 0 28
226 0 29
225 0 30
224 0 31
223 0 32
222 0 33
221 0 34
220 0 35
219 0 36
218 0 37
217 0 38
216 0 39
215 0 40
214 0 41
213 0 42
212 0 43
211 0 44
210 0 45
209 0 46
208 0 47
207 0 48
206 0 49
205 0 50
204 0 51
203 0 52
202 0 53
201 0 54
200 0 55
199 0 56
198 0 57
197 0 58
196 0 59
195 0 60
194 0 61
193 0 62
192 0 63
191 0 64
190 0 65
189 0 66
188 0 67
187 0 68
186 0 69
185 0 70
184 0 71
183 0 72
182 0 73
181 0 74
180 0 75
179 0 76
178 0 77
177 0 78
176 0 79
175 0 80
174 0 81
173 0 82
172 0 83

						Enjoy...
							Kay.
--
This .signature void where prohibited by law
						...ukc!warwick!kay