[net.graphics] Circle Algorithm?

robison@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/30/86)

Within the last 10 years I saw a paper on a circle drawing algorithm
which was similar to Bresenham's, but drew more accurate circles.
It was based on drawing contour lines for a paraboloid.
I think the article was in one of the IEEE magazines.

I couldn't find it in the abstracts.  Maybe someone on the net remembers?

- Arch Robison

jutz@pogo.UUCP (Curt Jutzi) (02/03/86)

In article <8300031@uiucdcsb> robison@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>Within the last 10 years I saw a paper on a circle drawing algorithm
>which was similar to Bresenham's, but drew more accurate circles.
>It was based on drawing contour lines for a paraboloid.
>I think the article was in one of the IEEE magazines.

	There was a very good algorithm in IEEE Transactions on computers
	VOL C-22 No. 12 December 1973, entitled "An Im proved Algorithm
	for the Generation of Nonparametric Curves" by Bernard Jordan,
	William Lennon, and Barry Holm.

	Curtis Jutzi

	tektronix!pogo!jutz
	tektronix!gpp1!golem!jutz

	(503) 685-3722
	P.O. Box 1000
	Wilsonville, OR 97070

In article <8300031@uiucdcsb> robison@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Within the last 10 years I saw a paper on a circle drawing algorithm
>which was similar to Bresenham's, but drew more accurate circles.
>It was based on drawing contour lines for a paraboloid.
>I think the article was in one of the IEEE magazines.
>I couldn't find it in the abstracts.  Maybe someone on the net remembers?
>- Arch Robison

It was in IEEE CG&A (Computer Graphics & Applications) September 1984.
The article was entitled `An efficient ellipse drawing algorithm' by
Jerry R. Van Aken of Texas Instruments, Inc.  I found the article
very informative, it explains that in some cases the original Bresenham's
can be 1/2 pixel off, and how to correct with the new algorithm, very
similar to Bresenhams, but with a very slight modification.  The algorithm
is illustrated in Pascal, and is only very slightly different than the
original Bresenhams.  I've implemented it on a couple of graphics devices,
and find it works excellently.

You can contact Jerry R. Van Aken directly (according to the article, and
as of Sept. 1984) at:

Jerry R. Van Aken
Texas Instruments, inc
Mail Station 6412
P.O. box 1443
Houston, TX 77001

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa