[net.graphics] RGB to NTSC

andy@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Andy Pfiffer) (02/06/86)

Our group is interested in acquiring equipment that would enable us to
videotape RGB output from various display devices (eg. Sun-3/160C, Raster
Technologies One/10...).  Other devices (Iris, IBM PC-RT, ...) may be on
the way.

We would appreciate suggestions on equipment.  We realize that we will be
suffering a loss of spatial resolution, but we will be using the tapes as
a faster alternative to hard copy or film.

Some questions:

	1. Does ANYONE make compatible equipment for Suns?  It has a
	   66Hz refresh rate.

	2. If you currently are using video, we'd really like to hear about
	   your configuration.

	3. We have some information from Lenco.  Are they the only
	   manufacturer of NTSC encoders?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Pfiffer
Cornell Theory Center
265 Olin Hall / Cornell U.
Ithaca, NY  14853

ARPA:   andy@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
USENET: {ihnp4,vax135,cmcl2,decvax}!cornell!bullwinkle!batcomputer!andy

rab@well.UUCP (Bob Bickford) (02/09/86)

In article <210@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU>, andy@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Andy Pfiffer) writes:
> Our group is interested in acquiring equipment that would enable us to
> videotape RGB output from various display devices (eg. Sun-3/160C, Raster
> Technologies One/10...).  Other devices (Iris, IBM PC-RT, ...) may be on
> the way.
>
> We would appreciate suggestions on equipment.  We realize that we will be
> suffering a loss of spatial resolution, but we will be using the tapes as
> a faster alternative to hard copy or film.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 	1. Does ANYONE make compatible equipment for Suns?  It has a
> 	   66Hz refresh rate.

  As far as I am aware, NO.  You'd have a heck of a time finding
a videotape recorder for that anyway.

> 	2. If you currently are using video, we'd really like to hear about
> 	   your configuration.
>
> 	3. We have some information from Lenco.  Are they the only
> 	   manufacturer of NTSC encoders?

   No, you can also try Electrohome, and a quick call to your nearest
TV station should get you the names of a few broadcast manufacturers.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Andy Pfiffer
> Cornell Theory Center
> 265 Olin Hall / Cornell U.
> Ithaca, NY  14853

  I would suggest that you try using a camera on those various displays.
Both the Sun and the IBM put out video which is non-NTSC in various ways
(the IBM, for example, violates the blanking spec) and you'd have a real
nightmare converting everything.

  I'd be curious to know what your final solution turns out to be.

       Robert Bickford     (rab@well.uucp)
|  I doubt if these are even my own opinions.  |