[net.graphics] conversion of RGB to video

cem@intelca (04/25/86)

> I  have  a number of graphic scenes which are displayed on a RGB monitor
> (the system is an IRIS workstation, manufactured by  Silicon  Graphics).
> I  want to create an animated sequence from the scenes by transferring it
> to another medium ( either film or possibly video tape).   Could  anyone
> out  in net land give me some information on either equipment that would
> help in this task or information on how this is usually accomplished.  I
> would like to eventually transfer this to video tape so that it could be
> shown at a conference  on  the  application  of  graphics  to  numerical
> simulation.
>
> Mark R. Simpson
> Philips Laboratories

The simplest way to do this (and sometimes the least satisfactory) is to
use a 35mm camera to take pictures of the screen in seqence. Use a exposure
of 1 sec for the best results. (Be sure to turn down the room lights!) The
way we did it at the Image Processing Institute was to write out the data
on a DicoMed Image recorder. It had a 4K X 4K crt that exposed directly to
film. For animated sequences we used the 35 MM "cine" format sometimes
referred to as half frames. This gives quite good results but can be very
expensive. (~$160,000 for computer, recorder, cameras, etc) As a compromise
Polaroid makes something called the Polaroid Pallette that exposes film
from video signals. It is somewhat cheaper ($3000) but when I saw one they
were taking the video from an IBM PC which may or may not mean its video
resolution is limited.

--Chuck

--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

> The simplest way to do this (and sometimes the least satisfactory) is to
> use a 35mm camera to take pictures of the screen in seqence. Use a exposure
> of 1 sec for the best results. (Be sure to turn down the room lights!)...

Photography off the screen can be quite satisfactory if done right.  The
animated sequence in Star Trek II was done that way.  Doing it right is
more complicated than just point-and-shoot, though.  See Tom Duff's posting
of a few months ago for details; he was one of the Lucasfilm computer folks
at the time, and was involved.
--
Join STRAW: the Society To	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
Revile Ada Wholeheartedly	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (05/16/86)

In article <6693@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Photography off the screen can be quite satisfactory if done right.  The
>animated sequence in Star Trek II was done that way.

Another example: "Tony de Peltrie", the story of the piano player that
closed last year's SIGGRAPH film show, was shot directly from a monitor.
They did have some problems due to the fact that the monitor kept drifting,
causing colour shifts.

williams@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Thomas Williams) (05/20/86)

{}

    Pictures off the monitor are fine, however with a limited color table
multiple exposures seem necessary (once for red, once for blue and
once for green components).  This way you should have about 16 million
different possible colors even if your terminal only supports a 256
shades at a time.  BUT will this work properly; has anyone tried it?
How about exposure times, camera settings...?   I'd be most appreciative
for any information.

                                              -taw