[net.graphics] Need cheap single frame recording video deck.

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (07/05/86)

In article <674@osu-cgrg.UUCP> flip@osu-cgrg.UUCP (Flip Phillips) writes:

>why not just set up a 16mm camera, do the single framing and have it
>transfered to video :-)

Actually, don't joke. That's potentially capable of pretty good quality,
and as a bonus will record video that varies from NTSC specs in any of a
variety of ways.

Things to remember are:
1) if you want the best colour rendition, you've got to do correction
   for the gamma of the video monitor as well as for the film characteristics;
   in practice this is a single process not two separate ones
2) if you want really stable images, the 16mm camera must be pin-registered.
3) if at all possible, control the exposure time by blanking the screen,
   opening the camera shutter, unblanking the screen for a specific
   number of video frames, blanking the screen, and closing the shutter.
   This way, the whole image area receives the same exposure.  If you use
   the mechanical shutter on the camera to control exposure, you risk
   seeing dark or light bars on the image since the screen image is flickering.

This doesn't let you see what you've done immediately, but appropriate
16mm equipment is probably cheaper than video equipment capable of the
same quality.

flip@osu-cgrg.UUCP (Flip Phillips) (07/07/86)

<14895@onfcanim.UUCP> erupts:

> >why not just set up a 16mm camera, do the single framing and have it
> >transfered to video :-)
>
> Actually, don't joke. That's potentially capable of pretty good quality,
> and as a bonus will record video that varies from NTSC specs in any of a
> variety of ways.

I am not joking... that is one of the ways we do it here.
Damn effective.

--

	Flip Phillips {ucbvax,decvax}!cbosg!osu-cgrg!flip
	Computer Graphics Research Group, The Ohio State University

"All I wanted was a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me..."
		-Suicidal Tendancies