[net.graphics] any multi-processor ray tracing?

pearce@calgary.UUCP (07/09/86)

Does anyone out there know of any research into multi-processor ray tracing?

I know of the LINKS hardware in Japan, Micheal Ullner's thesis, Dippe and
Swensen's SIGGRAPH paper, Apollo's "Long ray's journey into light" (but have
not seen anything written about this), Fujimoto's "ARTS" in CG&A, and, of
course, what John Cleary and I are doing here. But I've not heard of
anyone else.

Although any information would be greatly appreciated, I'm not interested
so much in vectorization or pipelining the algorithm as in arrays of
processors running identical code with differing data spaces.

For example, while simply dividing the screen into sub-sections and having each
sub-section assigned to a distinct processor with global scene space knowledge
is multi-processing, the processors in such a case do not require
inter-processor communication durring the ray tracing procedure.

Any discussion on the matter would be welcome as well.

	Andrew Pearce
	Dept. Computer Science,
	The University of Calgary,
	2500 University Dr. N. W.
	Calgary, Alberta,
	CANADA T2N 1N4.

	Ph. (403)220-3536
	Usenet: ...{ubc-vision,ihnp4}!alberta!calgary!pearce

[and thanks to all who responded to my request for the Rubin&Whitted paper]

metzger@heathcliff.columbia.edu.UUCP (07/14/86)

In article <249@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> pearce@calgary.UUCP (Andrew Pearce) writes:
>Does anyone out there know of any research into multi-processor ray tracing?

>I know of the LINKS hardware in Japan, Micheal Ullner's thesis, Dippe and
>Swensen's SIGGRAPH paper, Apollo's "Long ray's journey into light" (but have
>not seen anything written about this), Fujimoto's "ARTS" in CG&A, and, of
>course, what John Cleary and I are doing here. But I've not heard of
>anyone else.

I am working on a ray tracer to run on the DADO computer we are building here
at Columbia. Dado 2 (the current iteration) is basically 1023 processors
in a complete binary tree. The machine has a great deal of flexibility in
how you can manage the processors, although communication is restricted to
Parent-child communication (as one would expect in a tree machine.)

>Although any information would be greatly appreciated, I'm not interested
>so much in vectorization or pipelining the algorithm as in arrays of
>processors running identical code with differing data spaces.

>For example, while simply dividing the screen into sub-sections and having
>each sub-section assigned to a distinct processor with global scene space
>knowledge is multi-processing, the processors in such a case do not require
>inter-processor communication durring the ray tracing procedure.

We am trying to exploit the machine's flexibility to explore several strategies
for ray tracing. The one currently being worked on uses a one object/processor
strategy, and the machine is used as a dedicated intersection finder.

But other techniques also look promising. One idea floating about is to use
the machine partitioning to effect space partitioning. Since DADO is fairly
medium grained a lot of exploring seems to be possible.

Well, anyone else out there involved in anything in the way of multi processor
ray tracing? It looks like a promising area of research, and a discussion here
can only benifit everyone.

Perry Metzger

UUCP: ...![seismo|topaz]!columbia!heathcliff!metzger
ARPA: metzger@heathcliff.columbia.edu

liam@qmc-cs.UUCP (07/17/86)

Expires:
Xpath: ukc eagle

We have a group in the Computer Science Department at Queen
Mary College  (University of London, England) which does
ray-tracing (amongst) other things.

The hardware is an ICL DAP: a 64 x 64 array of single-bit processors
with separate memory spaces and a common instruction stream.
The total memory is 8 Mbytes and it lives inside an ICL
mainframe as a memory-mapped peripheral. All the processors are
connected to their NSEW orthogonal neighbours and each
instruction can be "masked" so that only processors with a 1
in a selected memory location will obey it.

Pictures are usually processed on this machine in one of two
layouts: either split into tiles of 64x64 pixels, "stacked" in the
memory, or split into 64x64 tiles of nxn pixels and stored one
tile per processor.

We also have at QMC a 32x32 version which sits inside a PERQ
workstation and has sensible IO - the molecule ray-tracing
man at the DAP support unit here assures me he will be able to
generate ray-traced colour pictures of insulin moelecules in near
real-time with this device!

Contact addresses for the people doing this work are

Hilary Buxton   ( hilary@cs.qmc.ac.uk, hilary@qmc-cs.UUCP )
John Quinn      ( c/o liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk, liam@qmc-cs.UUCP )

(When I can get John Quinn's real login name I will post it -
 in any case I will try to prod them into giving some more
 details: it's a hard life being the Departmental electronic
 gossip!)

--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP